Page 37 of 217 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Flacco can throw the ball, and has a quick release, And he can actually read defenses pretty quickly. I think he is a pretty smart QB.
    I agree. Flacco is a top, highly experienced NFL QB who has had his way with the Broncos more than once. In fact, I believe the last time was last September. It was a good move to bring in a guy who can make the growing pains of a new Offensive Line a little easier to deal with. Quick release, quick reads, and the ball is out of his hands.

Great move by Elway to bring in the top available QB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Did you like the Munchak hire? Because that is the single best thing a GM can do to help a struggling O-Line --steal the best OL coach in the NFL away from the Steelers.
    Munchak is a great coach and is certainly ONE of the best. But Dante Scarnecchia has to be in that conversation as best OL coach as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    What a surprise, people are moaning again. Some people need a dose of realism. What are Elway's options -

Keenum isn't good enough to go anywhere, he is a career journeyman and an NFL back-up who had 1 pretty decent year with a ton of help, he needed replacing and hopefully we can trade him. So we clearly needed a new QB...... but so do most teams and they are hard to find.

Foles could be an option but it is always risky signing someone after a few good games as a back-up, we have seen it fail multiple times. I'm not really sold of Foles and he would cost at least a round one pick and get a hefty contract. IMO that is not worth it.

The other option is the draft, which I think is still in play, but its very very hard to hit on a QB and we don't pick until 10 so who knows who will be there or if we're able to jump above QB needy teams like the Giants, Jags, etc.............

We could have just stayed with Keenum but I applaud Elway and the FO for being proactive, Flacco is an experienced QB with a good arm and a cool head, he has been a great leader and led numerous game winning drives. He only costs a 4th rounder and is on a very team friendly contract.

Will Flacco work out ? Who knows, but I applaud the Broncos for making a move and IMO Flacco is a big upgrade over Keenum, whatever 'stats' might say.
    Why take on ANY additional cap hits and lose a 4th? There is ZERO evidence to suggest that Flacco is better statistically by any sort of margin. Certainly not enough to justify throwing away a draft pick.

I do agree I like that we're looking to change as a team but i fear this story has already played out.

Quote Originally Posted by 16TheSnake View Post
    His contract included $25M in guaranteed money. He made $18M last year. There is $7M remaining on his guaranteed portion.

Cut him and you incur a $7M cap hit.

HOWEVER, Case has a clause in his contract that says if he is cut and signed by another team, his salary from the other team would reduce the cap hit against DEN.

So once Case is cut we get a $7M hit that can be reduced further once he signs a 1 year $4M backup QB contract with the team of his choosing (hypothetical); resulting is a small penalty ($3M in this example).

IMO it is reasonable to expect Case's hit after being cut and resigned will be less then $5M, and Flacco can be cut at any time without penalty for 3 years straight if we hit on a rookie QB in the next 2 drafts.

- GB2
    That is 100 percent correct. The question is this...would Case not agree to a similar deal to Flacco. Why I ask is simple. We are not cash rich I terms of cap space. As a result we'll be in a tough spot for at least two seasons with our OL. Case unlike Flacco can move around. Also unlike Flacco has shown that he CAN elevate his play. Maybe not all the time but it is possible. Flacco on the other hand has shown 4 plus years of steady decline.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    I agree. Flacco is a top, highly experienced NFL QB who has had his way with the Broncos more than once. In fact, I believe the last time was last September. It was a good move to bring in a guy who can make the growing pains of a new Offensive Line a little easier to deal with. Quick release, quick reads, and the ball is out of his hands.

One of Flacco's number one critiques is speed of reading defenses. At age 34 if he hasn't got it by now he wont. There is also the fact that the Ravens have a decent to above average OL. You don't run the ball the way they did without one. So it is fair to state that with Flacco's inability to move and escape pressure like Case I'd be concerned.

At 6ft6 and being a football player backs and hips don't improve with time and age...they typically get worse. Shannon Sharpe made that comment a few weeks ago on Undisputed.

Flacco does have a good arm and does throw a nice deep ball. But is losing a potential player with the loss of a 4th worth it? When by all accounts Flacco and Case are basically identical statswise?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    One of Flacco's number one critiques is speed of reading defenses. At age 34 if he hasn't got it by now he wont. There is also the fact that the Ravens have a decent to above average OL. You don't run the ball the way they did without one. So it is fair to state that with Flacco's inability to move and escape pressure like Case I'd be concerned.

At 6ft6 and being a football player backs and hips don't improve with time and age...they typically get worse. Shannon Sharpe made that comment a few weeks ago on Undisputed.

Flacco does have a good arm and does throw a nice deep ball. But is losing a potential player with the loss of a 4th worth it? When by all accounts Flacco and Case are basically identical statswise?
    As bad as Case was, I do think we have improved with the coaching changes. We may have been better off asking Case to take a restructure, then build around him with that savings, plus the money we spent on Flacco. Thatís 2 or 3 impact players. Then weíve got that 4th we could have used to make a trade or move up somewhere in the draft. Instead, we have 2 bottom tier QBs and nearly $40 mil counting toward the QB position, at the moment.

Earlier in this thread I said I didn't know what to think about this(it had basically just happened) but I do think that Flacco is a bit better then Case and will have the respect/confidence of the locker room. I'm not going to judge this to harshly at this point till I see him in game conditions. I will say if the Bronco's draft a QB in 2nd or later rounds then this will be the cherry on the cake.
    Last edited by swingarm; 02-15-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Flacco was just beat out by a rookie with little passing abilities. What were the Ravens once Flacco was benched? 6-1?
    Flacco got hurt. Jackson didn't beat him out. They had to stay with Jackson because they were winning.

Quote Originally Posted by JBBronco1 View Post
    Flacco got hurt. Jackson didn't beat him out. They had to stay with Jackson because they were winning.
    The team operated better with the rookie, bottom line. Flacco wasnít getting it done the past few seasons so they took a QB in the 1st. If they thought Flacco gave them a better chance to win he would have been playing. Flacco has had good success in the playoffs, yet he still sat on the bench. He was done and they knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    The team operated better with the rookie, bottom line. Flacco wasnít getting it done the past few seasons so they took a QB in the 1st. If they thought Flacco gave them a better chance to win he would have been playing. Flacco has had good success in the playoffs, yet he still sat on the bench. He was done and they knew it.
    I have just started to go back and watch through the games Flacco played this past season, and he is not done at all. I will say, if we can give Flacco a solid offensive line, and give him time to throw, he will drastically improve our passing attack. Flacco gives his guys chances to make plays, he stands tall in the pocket, and he has the arm to threaten to beat the defense all over the field. I think considering the compensation, a 4th rounder and a 7th rounder ? John Elway has made a fantastic trade. Having that much dead money now with Keenum does hurt obviously, but he has admitted that mistake, it will be wiped clear at the end of the year, and hopefully we move on with Flacco and a rookie in 2020. I am optimistic about Broncos football, and for the first time in a long while, I am excited.

Now draft an Ed Oliver or Devin White at 10 to round out the D and get T.J. Hockenson in round 2. After that start looking for one of the falling QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I have just started to go back and watch through the games Flacco played this past season, and he is not done at all. I will say, if we can give Flacco a solid offensive line, and give him time to throw, he will drastically improve our passing attack. Flacco gives his guys chances to make plays, he stands tall in the pocket, and he has the arm to threaten to beat the defense all over the field. I think considering the compensation, a 4th rounder and a 7th rounder ? John Elway has made a fantastic trade. Having that much dead money now with Keenum does hurt obviously, but he has admitted that mistake, it will be wiped clear at the end of the year, and hopefully we move on with Flacco and a rookie in 2020. I am optimistic about Broncos football, and for the first time in a long while, I am excited.
    Irrespective of age, I think it is fairly safe to say that Flacco is the most physically gifted QB we have since Jay Cutler. I believe that the heart and mind aspect is even more important. While Flacco trails Tebow and Manning in each their own of these categories, I believe that Joe has more drive than most, he has been one of very few that could dispose of the Brady bunch in NE, and I would bet that his football IQ is second to only Manning among our last 10 or so QBs.

Flacco has one of the best deep balls in the NFL, so it is really difficult to stack the box against the running game if we get at least one fast receiver. Flacco would be deadly with a "Tyreek Hill" type player at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Now draft an Ed Oliver or Devin White at 10 to round out the D and get T.J. Hockenson in round 2. After that start looking for one of the falling QBs.
    I donít really see why people are so focused on defensive picks now.

If we are going to make Flacco work and keep him healthy we desperately need one of those top LTís at 10. Iím not saying reach for one but the top one projected is projected top 10. If he lasts to 10 we need him bad.

Although now typing it I hear how that sounds like draft need over BPA. But I have to imagine Jonah Williams is rated pretty high on most boards.

Top available qb? I didnít realize we brought in Nick Foles.

Ravens Fan here. You guys got yourself a hoss in flacco. Someone who will never complain, is tough as nails, and can absolutely win you guys games. Don't buy to much into the stats the last 3 years in Baltimore, the ravens have absolutely no idea how to contstruct an offense, hence why we now have a RB playing QB. You guys will like having him on your team. Im excited to see what he can do with new coaches

Quote Originally Posted by paraven View Post
    Ravens Fan here. You guys got yourself a hoss in flacco. Someone who will never complain, is tough as nails, and can absolutely win you guys games. Don't buy to much into the stats the last 3 years in Baltimore, the ravens have absolutely no idea how to contstruct an offense, hence why we now have a RB playing QB. You guys will like having him on your team. Im excited to see what he can do with new coaches

Posted by MileHighReport......
    According to Bovada, the Denver Broncos odds to win the Super Bowl next season plummeted from an already embarrassing 100/1 odds to an eye popping 125/1 after the team traded for Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco. Apparently, Case Keenum is the better man for the job for oddsmakers.
    Meanwhile, the mere act of ditching Flacco as a backup quarterback has improved the Ravens Super Bowls odds from a more respectable 30/1 longshot to 28/1.
    AGAIN...Trading for Flacco,worst move ever.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    AGAIN...Trading for Flacco,worst move ever.
    Vegas odds are worthless to the discussion. Adding Flacco shouldnít really have that much of an impact for us. Iím not a fan but he isnít worse than Keenum unless he gets injured. Plus while Keenum is still on the roster the move shouldnít lower our odds.

Add that to the fact it makes absolutely 0 sense why the ravens needle would move at all based on their backup qb.