Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93
Results 1,381 to 1,383 of 1383
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    No I'm saying there's a large difference between a 26 year old at the beginning of his career and a 34 year old who's towards the end. Young players with potential (a word which means you haven't done anything yet) are always worth more than older players. Alex Smith has been traded twice in his career, the first time when he was younger got a bigger return than the second one even though he was a better player at the second trade.

Second example, Peyton Manning was released and given away for nothing. RGIII was acquired for first round picks in 2012, 2013, 2014 and a second in 2012. It's almost like youth and potential are worth a lot...but then again Manning was no longer in his "prime"...

The whole "prime" thing is a ridiculous term, because lots of players never have a big chunk of great years, they'll have excellent years then down years, then good years etc. In reality the term "prime" is for contracts and earning potential, and yeah Flacco is passed his top earning potential years.

I've already said I don't know if the Broncos will get anything out of Flacco, I'm skeptical. But bad comparisons are bad comparisons.
    Elway (the Broncos GM) is one who made the statement that Flacco is "coming into his prime", not me. A QB coming into his prime is worth far more than a 4th round pick, as I demonstrated with the Cutler trade - a scenario involving the Broncos where a QB "coming into his prime" was traded. The comparison is valid.

I don't think anyone here actually believes Flacco is coming into his prime. If anything his "sell by" date has come and gone quite some time ago.

https://www.apnews.com/e6b7033e4b794f05bbfe1f3203447dc0

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Scangarello has two years as a QB coach, and one year as a "quality control coach" in the NFL. This is his first year as an Offensive Coordinator. Of course we all hope he steps up, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for a guy who has never called a play in the NFL. I'm more concerned about a lack of experience than losing the guy as a HC to another team.

As for Lock, he didn't "fall" anywhere. He is a 2nd Round talent (as Osweiler was a 2nd Round talent) who was taken in the 2nd Round.

But with that being said, "Hope springs eternal". I'm hoping that Scangarello is the true "Quarterback whisperer" and an offensive prodigy. And, I'm looking forward to seeing what Lock has. More will be revealed in a couple of months.
    i never said he fell there are conserns. but he has the tools and everything to succeed.

i also really like what i have heard on rich. he is real smart. he was the driving force behind the Niners drafting nick mullens. he also knows what the QB needs to be sucessful in the system. he is gonna run a similar system to what Shanny runs. which is a verison of the kubiak offense. so i have always enjoyed that offense. there may be a little growing pains but the offense will be a better scheme then what we have had under mccoy and musgrave for sure.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Scangarello has two years as a QB coach, and one year as a "quality control coach" in the NFL. This is his first year as an Offensive Coordinator. Of course we all hope he steps up, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for a guy who has never called a play in the NFL. I'm more concerned about a lack of experience than losing the guy as a HC to another team.

As for Lock, he didn't "fall" anywhere. He is a 2nd Round talent (as Osweiler was a 2nd Round talent) who was taken in the 2nd Round.

But with that being said, "Hope springs eternal". I'm hoping that Scangarello is the true "Quarterback whisperer" and an offensive prodigy. And, I'm looking forward to seeing what Lock has. More will be revealed in a couple of months.
    Great post, agree on all points. As optimistic as I am about Scrangerello, he is a rookie play caller and we have no idea really what his offense is going to look like, what his tendencies are going to be, and how he reacts in certain situations . Also, our quarterback coach, the guy who will be coaching up Drew Lock, he has zero track record of success in the NFL, and I would go out on a limb and say he has the job because of who he knows, which isn't uncommon in the NFL, but still, he is a nobody.

On Drew Lock, you are correct. Drew Lock was manufactured pre-draft hype based on a quarterback class which had no depth to it, and no real top end talent, the NFL confirmed this with the way the board actually fell on draft day. Drew Lock is a solid quarterback prospect, but he is really very similar to Brock Osweiler in a lot of ways, has a lot of the same drawbacks, and had about as much success as Brock did at Arizona State. I like Lock, but his highlight videos that people have watched are not the full story, he has heaps of bad tape out there, and that is why he "fell" to us in the second round.