Page 183 of 234 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 181 182 183 184 185 193 233 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 3504

Thread: Flacco

  1. #2731
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    I just don’t get it. We are scoring 18 ppg with Flacco as our QB, and you feel good about the guy. Everyone has their own perceptions and all that, but geez.
    Flacco is not an elite quarterback. He cannot single-handedly carry an offense like Manning, Rodgers, Kermit, et al. Like most average/mediocre QB's, he needs a decent O-line, and above average offensive supporting cast to post decent numbers.

    Keenum, Lynch, and Trevor, were terrible QBs. Flacco is at least a partial upgrade over those scrubs. At the time Elway signed Flacco, what other QBs were available that don't need a good O-line to succeed? Or a good running game? You know...the kind of quarterback that can basically single-handedly carry your offense?

    I think everyone was expecting our O-line to be better than what it is. I think everyone was expecting our defense to be better than what it is. Flacco is obviously not the long-term answer, and is nothing more than a pricey bridge toward Lock's development. But there's a whole lot wrong with this team...and all of it is a big reason why our offense sucks.

  2. #2732
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Flacco is not an elite quarterback. He cannot single-handedly carry an offense like Manning, Rodgers, Kermit, et al. Like most average/mediocre QB's, he needs a decent O-line, and above average offensive supporting cast to post decent numbers.

    Keenum, Lynch, and Trevor, were terrible QBs. Flacco is at least a partial upgrade over those scrubs. At the time Elway signed Flacco, what other QBs were available that don't need a good O-line to succeed? Or a good running game? You know...the kind of quarterback that can basically single-handedly carry your offense?

    I think everyone was expecting our O-line to be better than what it is. I think everyone was expecting our defense to be better than what it is. Flacco is obviously not the long-term answer, and is nothing more than a pricey bridge toward Lock's development. But there's a whole lot wrong with this team...and all of it is a big reason why our offense sucks.
    I have stated a number of times that I want us to find our long term QB, and that won't change in this post. But I agree, Flacco has not been the problem. He has been fine. Maybe it's because of all those other things that are wrong that he gets a pass, or maybe if everything else was good, he'd be performing better. We'll never know for sure.

    I see it as a very short term bridge, and nothing more. Because the odds of a more senior player of his football/health status, suddenly getting it all back together, are low. And even lower if anyone thinks he could be the answer in a SB run.

    The emphasis has to be fixing problems, and making sure we have our franchise QB in place, hopefully no later than next season.

  3. #2733
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Flacco is not an elite quarterback. He cannot single-handedly carry an offense like Manning, Rodgers, Kermit, et al. Like most average/mediocre QB's, he needs a decent O-line, and above average offensive supporting cast to post decent numbers.

    Keenum, Lynch, and Trevor, were terrible QBs. Flacco is at least a partial upgrade over those scrubs. At the time Elway signed Flacco, what other QBs were available that don't need a good O-line to succeed? Or a good running game? You know...the kind of quarterback that can basically single-handedly carry your offense?

    I think everyone was expecting our O-line to be better than what it is. I think everyone was expecting our defense to be better than what it is. Flacco is obviously not the long-term answer, and is nothing more than a pricey bridge toward Lock's development. But there's a whole lot wrong with this team...and all of it is a big reason why our offense sucks.
    Our o-line is better at their jobs than Flacco is at his. The notion that he should just be able to hold the ball way too long while not stepping up in the pocket most of the time just isnít rooted in reality. Flacco is on exactly the same level Orton was before he was replaced by Tebow. Heís a backup level QB starting games for us. Our point totals and his metrics make this very clear.

  4. #2734
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Our o-line is better at their jobs than Flacco is at his. The notion that he should just be able to hold the ball way too long while not stepping up in the pocket most of the time just isnít rooted in reality. Flacco is on exactly the same level Orton was before he was replaced by Tebow. Heís a backup level QB starting games for us. Our point totals and his metrics make this very clear.
    Iíve been very critical of Flacco however, youíre over stating the issue with holding the ball too long. Has he held the ball too long on some plays.

    The line has been an issue and saying theyíre better at their job than him is really a reach. Risner and McGovern have played well, especially Risner. Bolles, Leary and Wilkinson have played poorly in pass protection. There are some plays Flacco left on the field, but heís also made some good plays. Here are a few examples from breaking down the film vs Chargers:

    2nd possession, 2nd & 9, Bolles allowed pressure forcing an incompletion. Flacco got rid of the ball preventing a sack.

    3rd possession, 3rd & 1, Bolles missed the switch on his assignment. If not for Flacco getting the ball out fast it would have been a sack.

    3rd quarter, 2nd possession: Wilkinson/Leary were beat badly and Bolles was backed into Flacco. He wasnít the main reason for the sack (Wilkinson).

    Next possession, Bolles was pushed back forcing Flacco out of the pocket. Flacco did a nice job getting yards out of a short completion with a quick throw.

    Those are only plays through the 3rd quarter last Sunday.

    When you say Flacco needed to get the ball out faster, for the plays outlined above it proves the opposite of what you said.

    Why donít you take some time to break down the film instead of generalizing everything with stats.

    Flacco isnít great and heís certainly made his share of mistakes, like the INT on the goal line vs Bears and the INT late in the half vs Jags.

  5. #2735
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,414
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Our o-line is better at their jobs than Flacco is at his. The notion that he should just be able to hold the ball way too long while not stepping up in the pocket most of the time just isn’t rooted in reality. Flacco is on exactly the same level Orton was before he was replaced by Tebow. He’s a backup level QB starting games for us. Our point totals and his metrics make this very clear.


    Bolles, is that you?

  6. #2736
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post


    Bolles, is that you?
    Ok, so your gif is better than my post. Show off

  7. #2737
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Our o-line is better at their jobs than Flacco is at his. The notion that he should just be able to hold the ball way too long while not stepping up in the pocket most of the time just isn’t rooted in reality. Flacco is on exactly the same level Orton was before he was replaced by Tebow. He’s a backup level QB starting games for us. Our point totals and his metrics make this very clear.
    So, points alone and his "individual" metrics proves your point that Flacco and Flacco alone is the sole determining factor?

    Interesting. So dropped balls, offensive penalties, forced hurry up throws, turnovers attributed to the O-line...none of these things has even the slightest bearing on a team's overall offensive point total?

  8. #2738
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post


    Bolles, is that you?
    The OL is playing like a mid-teir OL. Is Flacco playing like a mid-teir QB? No. He is solidly bottom third of the league. The OL is top 10 in most run blocking metrics and top 15 in most pass protection metrics. Top 10 as far as pressure go. Flacco is bottom half of the league in darn near every important metric. The OL's biggest issue is consistency. They can go from great to awful in the same game. Flacco is consistently below average.

    As maligned as the OL has been, it is more than reasonable to say that Flacco has been worse at his job.

    There are some who are fine critiquing the entire team, then there are some who are fine critiquing all except for Flacco. It is apparant where most stand.
    Last edited by Papa-pwn; 10-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.

  9. #2739
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I have stated a number of times that I want us to find our long term QB, and that won't change in this post. But I agree, Flacco has not been the problem. He has been fine. Maybe it's because of all those other things that are wrong that he gets a pass, or maybe if everything else was good, he'd be performing better. We'll never know for sure.

    I see it as a very short term bridge, and nothing more. Because the odds of a more senior player of his football/health status, suddenly getting it all back together, are low. And even lower if anyone thinks he could be the answer in a SB run.

    The emphasis has to be fixing problems, and making sure we have our franchise QB in place, hopefully no later than next season.
    I'm hoping it's a short term bridge...can't wait to see what we have in Lock.

  10. #2740
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    The OL is playing like a mid-teir OL. They're top 10 in most run blocking metrics and top 15 in most pass protection metrics. Top 10 as far as pressure go. Flacco is bottom half of the league in darn near every important metric. The OL's biggest issue is consistency. They can go from great to awful in the same game. Flacco is consistently below average.

    As maligned as the OL has been, it is more than reasonable to say that Flacco has been worse at his job.

    There are some who are fine critiquing the entire team, then there are some who are fine critiquing all except for Flacco. It is apparant where most stand.


    Leary, is that you?

  11. #2741
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post


    Leary, is that you?
    Are you confused? Your inability to understand who you're talking to doesn't change the fact that the OL is closer to average than bad, nor the fact that Flacco is closer to bad than average.

  12. #2742
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,326
    We are lucky, Joe Flacco is a pretty good, Experienced NFL QB !!!!
    I hope he has a good game tomorrow.

  13. #2743
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Are you confused? Your inability to understand who you're talking to doesn't change the fact that the OL is closer to average than bad, nor the fact that Flacco is closer to bad than average.
    No confusion, brother

  14. #2744
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Iíve been very critical of Flacco however, youíre over stating the issue with holding the ball too long. Has he held the ball too long on some plays.

    The line has been an issue and saying theyíre better at their job than him is really a reach. Risner and McGovern have played well, especially Risner. Bolles, Leary and Wilkinson have played poorly in pass protection. There are some plays Flacco left on the field, but heís also made some good plays. Here are a few examples from breaking down the film vs Chargers:

    2nd possession, 2nd & 9, Bolles allowed pressure forcing an incompletion. Flacco got rid of the ball preventing a sack.

    3rd possession, 3rd & 1, Bolles missed the switch on his assignment. If not for Flacco getting the ball out fast it would have been a sack.

    3rd quarter, 2nd possession: Wilkinson/Leary were beat badly and Bolles was backed into Flacco. He wasnít the main reason for the sack (Wilkinson).

    Next possession, Bolles was pushed back forcing Flacco out of the pocket. Flacco did a nice job getting yards out of a short completion with a quick throw.

    Those are only plays through the 3rd quarter last Sunday.

    When you say Flacco needed to get the ball out faster, for the plays outlined above it proves the opposite of what you said.

    Why donít you take some time to break down the film instead of generalizing everything with stats.

    Flacco isnít great and heís certainly made his share of mistakes, like the INT on the goal line vs Bears and the INT late in the half vs Jags.
    I stand by what I said. Our OL is average. Our QB is below average.

  15. #2745
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    I see many calling for Lock but I am yet to see one thing from the team that leads me to believe he is even in consideration to be the Broncos starting QB.

    The questionable I.R. designation was one of many situations including more recently the Flacco restructure. However, more alarming was the 9 draft day picks that were traded between our picks 20 and 41. Despite having picks 41 and 57 (at that point) we didn't make a move to secure Lock. Seemingly having no fear of these 9 other teams jumping them for Lock. When he was still available after we picked Risner at 41 then we made a move at 42.....even ensuring a (slightly) lower contract for Lock.

    Truth be told the team has handled Drew Lock like they view him as a backup QB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •