• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheAsianPA
    Captain
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    I can understand why your frustrated. Elway seems like he’s accepted that he doesn’t know how to find a Qb in he Draft.
    I don’t know if you listen to 104.3 the fan but Dmac has a philosophy that Elway is gonna stay for until the end of his contract and then bounce, and drafting another failed Qb is something he doesn’t want to take a chance on. I feel your pain bro, I was ready for a full rebuild but seems like that’s not happening under Elway ever.
    The moves he's made this offseason indicates we aren't going to rebuild with a young QB. I think he should draft one because it's wise to not count on Flacco, but at this point it's fairly obvious now that he isn't going to be looking at drafting one at #10, as he's all in on winning now.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• JvDub95
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
      Matt Leinart is a Top 10 Pick. Jake Locker is a Top 10 Pick. Mark Sanchez was a Top 10 Pick. Vince Young was a Top 10 Pick. RGIII was a Top 10 Pick. JeMarcus Russell was a Top 10 Pick. Andrew Luck, from you list, widely acknowledged as a "Generational" Pick was on the verge of being a BUST until his shoulder healed up. Sam Bradford, a Top Pick, for all intents and purposes, is a BUST. Ryan Leaf, ............................ etc., etc., etc............ ad infinitum.

The most positive thing you can say about Top 10 QBs is that less than 50% ever turn out to be anything. Throwing another dart at a failure has really set back this franchise. And John Elway understands that better than anyone.
      I didn't ask about other teams top 10 picks, I asked how many top 10 has Denver drafted?

​​​​

Comment

• TheAsianPA
        Captain
        • Oct 2015

Matt Leinart is a Top 10 Pick. Jake Locker is a Top 10 Pick. Mark Sanchez was a Top 10 Pick. Vince Young was a Top 10 Pick. RGIII was a Top 10 Pick. JeMarcus Russell was a Top 10 Pick. Andrew Luck, from you list, widely acknowledged as a "Generational" Pick was on the verge of being a BUST until his shoulder healed up. Sam Bradford, a Top Pick, for all intents and purposes, is a BUST. Ryan Leaf, ............................ etc., etc., etc............ ad infinitum.

The most positive thing you can say about Top 10 QBs is that less than 50% ever turn out to be anything. Throwing another dart at a failure has really set back this franchise. And John Elway understands that better than anyone.
        So...because other QBs have failed in the draft is why we shouldn't draft one? The failure rate is likely the same as signing a free agent QB. The only difference is that we signed a HOF that was hard to miss, and since then we've missed on both FA QBs and drafted ones all the same. The logic shouldn't be that because others have failed at drafting that you shouldn't, it's that you need to take a QB that is either prepared to run the system you want, or you run the system he needs to succeed. Whether Elway is capable of that, I'm not sure.

However, relying on Flacco to be the answer is in my mind as much of a risk as drafting a QB. The injury and performance history is a real concern. If Flacco does not turn out to be the answer, we will have wasted 18 million and a chance to have drafted and developed a young QB to be a franchise player. Elway will also be in a position where he has no solution again at the position with only 2 years left on his contract.
        Last edited by TheAsianPA; 03-18-2019, 01:56 PM.
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Peanut
          ModNut
          • Jan 2007

Thread cleaned again.

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinions, no matter where they come from.

Thanks.
          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• gtown53
            All-Pro
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
            I didn't ask about other teams top 10 picks, I asked how many top 10 has Denver drafted?
            I Posted the Link. Do the work yourself.

Comment

• gtown53
              All-Pro
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
              So...because other QBs have failed in the draft is why we shouldn't draft one? The failure rate is likely the same as signing a free agent QB. The only difference is that we signed a HOF that was hard to miss, and since then we've missed on both FA QBs and drafted ones all the same. The logic shouldn't be that because others have failed at drafting that you shouldn't, it's that you need to take a QB that is either prepared to run the system you want, or you run the system he needs to succeed. Whether Elway is capable of that, I'm not sure.

However, relying on Flacco to be the answer is in my mind as much of a risk as drafting a QB. The injury and performance history is a real concern. If Flacco does not turn out to be the answer, we will have wasted 18 million and a chance to have drafted and developed a young QB to be a franchise player. Elway will also be in a position where he has no solution again at the position with only 2 years left on his contract.
              If you believe that, there is absolutely no point in discussing it.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                Traveling Mod
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                The moves he's made this offseason indicates we aren't going to rebuild with a young QB. I think he should draft one because it's wise to not count on Flacco, but at this point it's fairly obvious now that he isn't going to be looking at drafting one at #10, as he's all in on winning now.
                He has Flacco and grayson and hasn't brought anyone else in yet, I wouldn't count on that.
                My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                  Traveling Mod
                  • Mar 2010

PEYTON MANNING. Two Superbowls, one victory.
                  And a very good job by Elway and Manning. I agree. However it was also very short lived. Oz was suppose to be the up and comer getting trained while Manning was playing his final games but Oz left. Flacco is no Manning, while he is probably certainly better than Case or a Rookie, we should still be looking for the future franchise guy so we can stabilize the position and build long term around him rather than going through them beer in the desert afternoons.
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• JvDub95
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2005

I Posted the Link. Do the work yourself.
                    I know the answer, its zero. Denver has never drafted a top 10 QB. I know that doesnt mean that just because they are drafted a certain spot they are automatic quality starters. But they have never drafted any of the drafts best targets.....EVER.

They are constantly settling for 4th or 5th best options or worse. You are so against Denver drafting a QB but the ONLY WAY to be consistent every year contender is to find that long term answer. Renting over the hill backups may work once in awhile.

What about chemistry? What about getting to know your guys? You can't ask a rental every other year to just snap a finger and be on the same page.

​​​​

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                      He has Flacco and grayson and hasn't brought anyone else in yet, I wouldn't count on that.
                      Personally I would love to see him take a chance early in the draft on Lock or Rypien, but it would be surprising to me. All his moves indicate he wants to win now in 2019, and using a very high pick for a player that likely will not contribute right away opposes that plan.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• gtown53
                        All-Pro
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                        I know the answer, its zero. Denver has never drafted a top 10 QB. I know that doesnt mean that just because they are drafted a certain spot they are automatic quality starters. But they have never drafted any of the drafts best targets.....EVER.

They are constantly settling for 4th or 5th best options or worse. You are so against Denver drafting a QB but the ONLY WAY to be consistent every year contender is to find that long term answer. Renting over the hill backups may work once in awhile.

What about chemistry? What about getting to know your guys? You can't ask a rental every other year to just snap a finger and be on the same page.
                        And thus my list of "Top 10" QBs who have been recently Drafted, and have failed.

And if you knew the answer, why did you ask?

The point is that Elway has been successful in some areas, and a HUGE failure in others. He succeeded with Manning, he failed with Draft Picks Tebow (inherited from mcdaniels), Lynch, Osweiler, Siemian, and Kelly. Notwithstanding the idea of Drafting a young QB as your future "Franchise QB", if you find success by doing one thing, and have failed by doing something else, wouldn't it be logical to repeat what has brought you some success?

Where has this Franchise found real success with QBs? Craig Morton, ironically at age 34. John Elway, for whom we traded, and did not win a Superbowl until the year before he retired. And Peyton Manning, a FA signing.

The Broncos have gone 0-38 in the Draft. Those are the FACTS. And the odds of that changing are not good.

But hey, if Elway Drafts Haskins at #10 or REACHES for Lock, a 2nd Round talent at best, at #10, I'll support the decision and will be very excited to see how it works out. You know, as opposed to being invested in their failure as some have been with Flacco, .................. and for Chubb, for that matter.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                          Captain
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JimmyT View Post
                          League’s worst? lol Let me know what you think come December.
                          Getting deja vu from this time last year with Keenum from these sort of posts. He proved the doubters correct before the season was 25% complete lol. I think there will be a pretty loud cry from the fanbase to bench Flacco by the halfway mark of this coming season.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                            Captain
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by CharmCityBronco View Post
                            Dude - sorry that we happen to know more about Flacco and the situation here than you do from across the country. He is not perfect or without fault - but he is a winner. I will say after scrolling this message board, it proves that there are just as many negative folks in Denver as there are in Baltimore! 😜. I hope he is all we think he can be and that the fans in Denver support him. He and his family will do nothing but make your team and community better.
                            You're no different than the Keenum fans that followed him here. You're not special and no, you do not know more about him. I've watched just as many of his games from the last 4 years as you have- all of them. I know exactly what kind of player we are getting and that is why I have such a strong opinion.

I'm a ridiculously optimistic Bronco fan, to the point of homerism almost. You could ask me about pretty much all of our other starters and nothing I say would lead you to think I am naturally just negative. But I like to research our new players. I like to understand just who we are getting on the team. Normally, there is reason for optimism. However, with Flacco, the "optimistic" take is that he could be a solid veteran mentor to a rookie QB before said rookie takes the starting job. Best case scenario.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                              Captain
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                              I’m optimistic about Flacco being an upgrade, I do understand many fans who are not excited though.
                              I would love to hear anyone with the courage to give some intelligent ideas of what we could have done besides moving out Keenum and bringing in Flacco.
                              A) keep Keenum Draft young QBs
                              B) go get Foles
                              C) other

Easy to say you don’t like the Flacco transaction or want Elway gone but having a solution and that’s why you don’t like the move is a better way to sell ones point of view.

I didn’t get excited when we first traded for Flacco but i see the overall plan
                              1 - Run the ball ( we got munchak coach up our oline)
                              2- dominate on defense ( hires a HC who is the best in the biz)
                              I just saw that recipe win a Superbowl
                              We could have traded Keenum, signed Fitzpatrick and/or McCown and then draft a QB.

Fitzpatrick and McCown are right on par with Flacco talent-wise and both could be had for a combined cap hit less than Flacco's current.

But that's not important. Now that Flacco is on the team hopefully we still get a developmental QB.

Flacco is a bottom 10 QB and my argument is with those who believe Flacco is anything but a minute upgrade from Keenum and those who actually believe Flacco elevates our team's talent to any degree.

Bottom 10 QB.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                                Banned User
                                • Dec 2015

Here's a list of the 38 QBs that the Broncos have Drafted since 1962. As NFL Starters, they are all garbage.

What has John Elway had to deal with? Tim Tebow, a Broncos 1st Round Draft choice, who wasn't Elway's choice, had to be moved because he couldn't play. Brock Osweiler, a 2nd Rounder, was given the time (4 freakin' years) to "learn" (or not learn) behind one of the Greatest Of All Time. He failed. Paxton Lynch, taken in the 1st Round is completely out of football after 2 years of horrible play and bench time. Chad Kelly, failure. Trevor Siemian, failure.

I don't know about anybody else, but given the Broncos 57 years of history, I can completely understand why Elway is "gun-shy" about throwing another dart when the odds are that you will be throwing away another Top Draft Pick. Evidently, some people can't wrap their head around that.
                                Lynch isn’t completely out of football. He signed with the Seahawks on a futures/reserve contract. Ironically, Lynch's NFL career started with his technically being traded by the Seahawks when they sent the 26th pick to the Broncos in the 2016 draft.

I believe Elway will draft Jarrett Stidham in the 3rd round to backup and develop behind Flacco.

Comment

Working...
                                X