• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflee66
    Bench Warmer
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    You must really think we missed on Drew Lock. Flacco isn't much better than your average rookie QB, if Lock can't supplant him in 2020 then we may need to start looking at QBs early again. That would take up 2 years of Lock's 4 year deal. He only plays the 3rd year and we have to try to extend him on one year of play or wait u till his contract expires after the 4th and final year and risk losing him.

Flacco starting in 2020 would be a disaster for the franchise.
    No, who knows if Lock can become an NFL starter? It's going to take time. But I doubt JF has a bad year w/ this team around him. JF starting in 2020 would be anything BUT, a disaster. It more then likely means we made the POs. Which I believe we will.

Comment

• JW7
      Captain
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by jflee66 View Post
      No, who knows if Lock can become an NFL starter? It's going to take time. But I doubt JF has a bad year w/ this team around him. JF starting in 2020 would be anything BUT, a disaster. It more then likely means we made the POs. Which I believe we will.
      Yep. Flacco starting in 2020 would be more indicative of his strong play than the lack of Locks development.

If Flacco is struggling this year, I imagine Lock will be put in, especially if the season is lost.

I know the idea of Flacco doing well is a foreign concept to some but it is not out of the realm of possibility.
      sigpic

Comment

• -Rod-
        #TeamBroncos
        • Mar 2008

I believe all Drew Lock has to do is make Elway and Fangio feel he is ready to match or get close to Flacco's performance on the field. If he does that, the Broncos should be very comfortable moving forward with Lock while adding $20,25 million in cap space [Flacco's 2020 cap number, $0 guaranteed money] to improve the roster.

If Flacco plays poorly, Lock is in. If Flacco plays average, Lock must convince the staff he already is average. If Flacco has a strong season, Lock will have to 'wow' everyone in the building, pretty much like Mahomes replacing Alex Smith in KC.

And if someone comes up with 'Mahomes was a top-10 pick, Lock is a 2nd-round QB': the Broncos have one less year to develop and evaluate Lock before he hits FA, which could lead to an interest in getting him on the field sooner rather than later.
        sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
          No. I don't think it is unheard of for Denver to have a winning record, the rest of the team is quite possibly strong enough to cover for Flacco's deficiencies. We have made the playoffs with bad QB play before.

What is more likely,

1) Flacco continues to be a poor QB like he has been for years, putting up his normal starliner of 18-20TDs and 15INTs much like Keenum last year except being near the worst in the league in completion percentage and YPA. All while the young core of the team continues its upswing development and growth that they have displayed for years thus winning 9 or 10 games?

or

2) Flacco changes into an above average QB and carries a weak team to a winning record? If the latter is what occurs then I will definitely change my tune, though it stands the same chance of happening as Fitzpatrick/Keenum/ect carrying their teams. QBs of that talent level are the ones who get carried, especially when they are 34 and developing injury issues.
          Have you considered the offensive line in Baltimore the last few years?

Joe D'Alessandris Is not the greatest coach in the world, in fact he’s known to have multiple names for the same formation creating a ton of confusion for his linemen.

His past Offensive linemen have said that his scheme is one of these most confusing they’ve ever had to get accustomed to.

Not only that but he doesn’t allow his lineman to change up their stance or point of attack to counter a weakness. Nor does he adjust to the style of the players that he has.

How is any offensive lineman supposed to block for a QB when they have a very arrogant hard case giving them strict yet very little options?

You should go do some research on Joe D'Alessandris because I’m telling you a good chunk of joes failures originate with this man.
          Last edited by Sam_Z; 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by JW7 View Post
            Yep. Flacco starting in 2020 would be more indicative of his strong play than the lack of Locks development.

If Flacco is struggling this year, I imagine Lock will be put in, especially if the season is lost.

I know the idea of Flacco doing well is a foreign concept to some but it is not out of the realm of possibility.
            Since I don't know how to evaluate the future, I'm looking forward to watching some Bronco games. When I start seeing those, questions about O, D and STs coaches and players will be answered, and I can get a clue about what is happening. Reports from TC will start to bring the picture into focus, but until they start hitting another team, it's anybody's guess.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• orange crush75
              Captain
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Since I don't know how to evaluate the future, I'm looking forward to watching some Bronco games. When I start seeing those, questions about O, D and STs coaches and players will be answered, and I can get a clue about what is happening. Reports from TC will start to bring the picture into focus, but until they start hitting another team, it's anybody's guess.
              Exactly , got to let it play out . I cant wait to watch some Bronco football!

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                Captain
                • Oct 2015

Flacco being here is to buy Lock some time to develop. If they fully believed in Flacco, they would not have spent three draft picks on Lock.

Also only being a second rounder means he won't have a contract year, and there will be pressure to have him on the field soon if Flacco remains average.
                Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• gtown53
                  All-Pro
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                  Flacco being here is to buy Lock some time to develop. If they fully believed in Flacco, they would not have spent three draft picks on Lock.

Also only being a second rounder means he won't have a contract year, and there will be pressure to have him on the field soon if Flacco remains average.
                  We could have Drafted Lock at 10, as many on this Board were hoping for. We could have Drafted Lock at 20, but we didn't. We could have Drafted Lock at 41 in the 2nd Round, but we didn't. When Lock, a 2nd Round talent was still available, the the Broncos were pro-active in going after a "2nd Round talent", ............................................. in the 2nd Round.

Hopefully he isn't another Brock Osweiler! In fact, I'm anxious to see how he compares to ................................ Rypien in pre-season. Should be fun to watch!

Comment

• mozzerpete
                    All-Pro
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                    I don’t think that throw was anything special. Now the choke job put in by Carter and Moore, that was a big time choke and that is what led to their Super Bowl.

I am glad to have Flacco though. CK needed to go and imo Flacco is definitely an improvement. Hopefully Lock learns quickly.
                    I think it was a "big time throw", you say it was "not anything special."

If Elway or Manning had thrown that TD bomb from his own 25,
                    with less than 40 seconds left, odds are you probably would have
                    labeled that a "big time throw" or better yet, "special."

I do not understand the Flacco disdain given he's the best Elway could do for the Broncos.

Comment

• listopencil
                      Revenant
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

Holy cow? We drafted Lock three times? Well, I sure hope one of those Locks work out.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• BroncoFanDK
                        All-Pro
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                        We could have Drafted Lock at 10, as many on this Board were hoping for. We could have Drafted Lock at 20, but we didn't. We could have Drafted Lock at 41 in the 2nd Round, but we didn't. When Lock, a 2nd Round talent was still available, the the Broncos were pro-active in going after a "2nd Round talent", ............................................. in the 2nd Round.

Hopefully he isn't another Brock Osweiler! In fact, I'm anxious to see how he compares to ................................ Rypien in pre-season. Should be fun to watch!
                        Hopefully Flacco is so good that we never find out how good Lock could be!

Comment

• gtown53
                          All-Pro
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                          I fully expect that to be the case.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                            Captain
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                            I can understand wanting Flacco to succeed, but this is a weird statement. Flacco is 34, he is not here for long no matter how good he plays. If he somehow plays out his contract well enough to keep Lock on the bench, then in 4 years when Flac retires we're just stuck in QB limbo again.

Best case scenario is that Lock's development is expedited and he takes the job from Flacco some time this year. Thus, beginning a decade+ of prosperity at the QB position for the first time since Elway.

Truly, the earlier Lock proves he is able to match Flacco's talent and take over, the better for Broncos fans. A young, promising QB and the extra cap space from being able to cut Flacco in the offseason.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                              Captain
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jflee66 View Post
                              Bad QBs can still have bad years with good teams around them. Those teams can still win games and even make the playoffs despite their deficiencies at QB.

Us making the playoffs should not guarantee Flacco the starting job the year after unless he himself has a successful year in a manner that contributes to the wins more than just being along for the ride.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                                Captain
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JW7 View Post

I just believe that due to the team maintaining Flacco's current deal, the plan is to move on from him as soon as Lock makes that possible. Flacco could have a great year and stay their hand, unlikely though it may be. More like, is that Flacco has a year much like this entirety of his career- average at best. This time, with the added spins of learning a new offense, new timing, and the added age. If Lock isn't able to prove capable of matching a 35 year old below average QB next year, it will speak to his lack of development.

Comment

Working...
                                X