Page 42 of 232 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 ... LastLast
Results 616 to 630 of 3478

Thread: Flacco

  1. #616
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I will take Flacco over Siemian .
    That's a low bar to jump though.


  2. #617
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,184
    I support Joe as the New Denver Broncos Starting QB and I for one cannot wait to see the Chemistry with him and our Wide Receivers Sutton and Hamilton and I hope Denver keeps E.S. ! I think Denver needs another WR because I am not totally sold on D. Hamilton however I do have hopes that he can have a breakout 2nd Year. I have hope just like last year....

  3. #618
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    That's a low bar to jump though.
    I didn't set the bar.

  4. #619
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,999
    Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    I support Joe as the New Denver Broncos Starting QB and I for one cannot wait to see the Chemistry with him and our Wide Receivers Sutton and Hamilton and I hope Denver keeps E.S. ! I think Denver needs another WR because I am not totally sold on D. Hamilton however I do have hopes that he can have a breakout 2nd Year. I have hope just like last year....
    I know it's not a popular choice around here, but i'm still hoping we trade for AB. I think he'd be a solid replacement for Sanders production and he's a vet presence on the WR core.

    I don't like how he handled 2018, but it's hard to deny his talent level.


  5. #620
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I didn't set the bar.
    It was kind of your post and bar to set lol. You are the one that posted it and it was your opinion lol. Unless someone made you post it with a gun to your head. Blink twice if you are in danger.


  6. #621
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    To add some further perspective. As far as the 4th round pick, our 4th round picks since 2012 have consisted of Omar Bolden, Phillip Blake, Max Garcia, Devontae Booker, Josey Jewell and DaeSean Hamilton.

    Outside of last year, we've never found a star player in the 4th round, in fact, most years, we don't even have a 4th round. We've only had 4th round picks 4 times since 2012.

    So basically, this is an EXTREMELY low risk move.
    Exactly, the risk on this move by Elway is low, the potential reward is high, and people are thinking too much into this. This doesn't guarantee that Flacco is the quarterback for the next 6 plus years, it doesn't even guarantee that he will be starting next year, our commitment to him in terms of contract structure, and the capital it took to get him is low. What this does mean is the Broncos now have options too, and approaching the draft now they do not need to force a quarterback pick, in a year that is not ideal for being in that situation. I love this move personally, and if you were someone calling for Kirk Cousins, you should be pleased with Joe Flacco, because he is a better quarterback, he just doesn't have that sexy reputation some of you prefer over substance.

    Also, Julius Thomas was a fourth round pick, and I would say he is the only impact player Elway has ever found in the fourth round. Last year Hamilton looked solid and he will grow, but Jewell was bad and will probably be back on the bench playing special teams where he belongs after free agency and the draft this year. But again, this highlights how little impact we have had from that spot in the draft over the years as you said Frey.

  7. #622
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    It was kind of your post and bar to set lol. You are the one that posted it and it was your opinion lol. Unless someone made you post it with a gun to your head. Blink twice if you are in danger.
    Rastic compared Flacco to Siemian

  8. #623
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    To go back to what Breer said. With Keenum, we were on the last year of the deal, we either have to find someone imediately and make a rash decision, or we don't have a QB next year. We had no options with him unless we wanted to extend him and that's not a great option either.

    With Flacco, all options are on the table. If the right QB falls in our laps we can take them this year, if the rookie beats Flacco out, we can cut him with zero penalty and move forward in life. We can let Flacco start this year, draft a rookie next year or trade for a better QB if one is available and again cut flacco next year with zero penalty.

    Flacco opens up a lot of options because with his contract, we're on the hook for nothing if we choose to move on from him and we can do that at ANY time over the next couple of years.


    To add some further perspective. As far as the 4th round pick, our 4th round picks since 2012 have consisted of Omar Bolden, Phillip Blake, Max Garcia, Devontae Booker, Josey Jewell and DaeSean Hamilton.

    Outside of last year, we've never found a star player in the 4th round, in fact, most years, we don't even have a 4th round. We've only had 4th round picks 4 times since 2012.

    So basically, this is an EXTREMELY low risk move.
    That's a "Big Picture" analysis of the move. Unfortunately, that's pretty rare to see.

    Nice Post.

  9. #624
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    To go back to what Breer said. With Keenum, we were on the last year of the deal, we either have to find someone imediately and make a rash decision, or we don't have a QB next year. We had no options with him unless we wanted to extend him and that's not a great option either.

    With Flacco, all options are on the table. If the right QB falls in our laps we can take them this year, if the rookie beats Flacco out, we can cut him with zero penalty and move forward in life. We can let Flacco start this year, draft a rookie next year or trade for a better QB if one is available and again cut flacco next year with zero penalty.

    Flacco opens up a lot of options because with his contract, we're on the hook for nothing if we choose to move on from him and we can do that at ANY time over the next couple of years.


    To add some further perspective. As far as the 4th round pick, our 4th round picks since 2012 have consisted of Omar Bolden, Phillip Blake, Max Garcia, Devontae Booker, Josey Jewell and DaeSean Hamilton.

    Outside of last year, we've never found a star player in the 4th round, in fact, most years, we don't even have a 4th round. We've only had 4th round picks 4 times since 2012.

    So basically, this is an EXTREMELY low risk move.
    Sometimes I wish the draft wasnít so far removed from when free agent decisions need to be made. It really makes it a challenge for GMs to plan the full roster.

    Answer this for me.

    Letís say the top 9 picks go better than Elway couldíve imagined just like a year ago and some QB he loves but assumed wouldnít be around is. And he selects that QB at 10.

    Can we cut Flacco then and be free of 2019 money? Or is that money already owed.

    You were talking about how they had to decide on case now. But couldnít he still be the bridge in 2019 if Elway did in fact get his qb?

    Obviously the response is why would we rather bridge with Keenum than Flacco. And we probably wouldnít. Iím just thinking out loud of least possible cap hit if we only need a 1 year bridge in the event of a rookie.

    Itís still unknown how much of case contract we will be able to get out of. But as of today the hit is higher than just whatís owed to Flacco.

    Once Case contract is off the books Iíll feel a lot better about Flaccoís contract.

    But I would like to have the ability to trade for AB and offer Mosely a solid deal. And then get a stud pick at 10.

    But as of today those two QBs contracts probably prevent that.

  10. #625
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,999
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    That's a "Big Picture" analysis of the move. Unfortunately, that's pretty rare to see.

    Nice Post.
    Thanks man. It's not like I'm just over here head over heels over this trade... Frankly it annoyed the crap out of me. I'm trying to take a lemon and make some lemonaid by finding the silver lining in the situation and rationalizing it a bit. We all need to dial back the panic and just let this play out. A lot of people badly overreacted to this trade and if you take a few breaths and examine it, it makes sense.

    Flacco's not the answer at QB. He's a bridge to the answer and unlike Keenum, he's a bridge that gives us a bit of flexibility in how we approach the situation going forward. I'm sure Elway has a QB in mind in 2019 to draft. IF he's available when we want to draft that QB we will. If he's not available, now we have more options.

    If Keenum were our option, you'd likely see us trading up and reaching for a QB, it may have worked out, or it may have been Paxton 2.0. This gives us some breathing room to make the right choice instead of the knee jerk choice.


  11. #626
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    26,999
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Sometimes I wish the draft wasn’t so far removed from when free agent decisions need to be made. It really makes it a challenge for GMs to plan the full roster.

    Answer this for me.

    Let’s say the top 9 picks go better than Elway could’ve imagined just like a year ago and some QB he loves but assumed wouldn’t be around is. And he selects that QB at 10.

    Can we cut Flacco then and be free of 2019 money? Or is that money already owed.
    We can cut Flacco at any time and not owe him another dime. The only thing we'll owe him is game checks for games played. He has ZERO guaranteed. That's what makes this a safe move. With Keenum, we have to either pick a guy to replace him now, or extend him because his contract is done at the end of 2019.

    This move is all about flexibility and being able to make the move that's best for the team in the long run vs reaching for a need and making the wrong pick.

    As for your question on Case. Yes, he could be a bridge for 2019, but lets say we don't find a good option at QB in 2019. 2020 comes around, we have no QB. With Flacco, he's ours for the next three years, we can make that choice at any time based on our needs at the time. This gives us some breathing room.

    The money situations will work themselves out. I have no concerns there. Case will be off the books by seasons start and Elway will find a way to minimize that cap hit as best he can.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 02-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.


  12. #627
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Rastic compared Flacco to Siemian
    It wasn't a direct comparison, merely an interesting point of note in the stats. The point was Flacco has never been voted to the Pro Bowl by his own peers, even in his better years. His playoff record is impressive but only tells part of the story. Where Siemian is concerned, his Pro Bowl invite, impressive gesture as it was, was a complete fluke and only made possible by extenuating circumstances being just right. Flacco is better than Siemian but that isn't saying too much at this point.

    In the bigger picture (see Frey's earlier post) is pretty much where I am taking solace at the moment.

  13. #628
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    It wasn't a direct comparison, merely an interesting point of note in the stats. The point was Flacco has never been voted to the Pro Bowl by his own peers, even in his better years. His playoff record is impressive but only tells part of the story. Where Siemian is concerned, his Pro Bowl invite, impressive gesture as it was, was a complete fluke and only made possible by extenuating circumstances being just right. Flacco is better than Siemian but that isn't saying too much at this point.

    In the bigger picture (see Frey's earlier post) is pretty much where I am taking solace at the moment.
    Its all good!

  14. #629
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    We can cut Flacco at any time and not owe him another dime. The only thing we'll owe him is game checks for games played. He has ZERO guaranteed. That's what makes this a safe move. With Keenum, we have to either pick a guy to replace him now, or extend him because his contract is done at the end of 2019.

    This move is all about flexibility and being able to make the move that's best for the team in the long run vs reaching for a need and making the wrong pick.

    As for your question on Case. Yes, he could be a bridge for 2019, but lets say we don't find a good option at QB in 2019. 2020 comes around, we have no QB. With Flacco, he's ours for the next three years, we can make that choice at any time based on our needs at the time. This gives us some breathing room.

    The money situations will work themselves out. I have no concerns there. Case will be off the books by seasons start and Elway will find a way to minimize that cap hit as best he can.
    Two things

    1. I had been hearing things that led me to believe we could get out of owing Flacco anything. But this is the first I heard someone outright say it. So thank you for clarifying because i was unsure for days. Iím sure Elway has 0 intention of doing it but I do like that the flexibility is there should be strike what he considers gold in the draft. He would likely still bridge that qb at least until the season is down the drain again. So he likely keeps Flacco. But I do appreciate that he has an out should something else irresistible surface later. If he dumped Flacco mid September we canít get big free agents. But the savings could roll over to 2020 which isnít awful. But again I do believe Elway sticks to him even if he turns into backing up another rookie.


    2. I was only asking about Case as the bridge should be in fact find his 2019 qb. Obviously if that doesnít occur I completely get your point of not wanting to be left with no one at all come 2020. I just meant would it make sense to dump Flacco with 0 dead money should be find his rookie? But if case remains we owe him $21mil. Which is higher than Flaccoís $18. So Iím guessing it still isnít cheaper to keep case as the bridge. And you would probably be keeping a worse bridge. Though Iím not 100% certain on that.

  15. #630
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Why? Why? Why? Why?
    Cause Case Keenum? Why ELSE???????
    oh YEAH?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •