Page 92 of 219 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 3283

Thread: Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede View Post
    This training camp and pre-season will make things interesting if Lock looks good. Remember the infatuation with Chad Kelly last year? Lock is way better than him. If Flacco struggles early in the regular season and Lock was impressive in pre-season, it wont be long until we start hearing Lock chants at the stadium especially if the Broncos aren't winning right away.

As soon as the Broncos aren't winning, the pressure on Flacco will be immense. The only way he keeps his job is if he is an MVP candidate or the Broncos are running away with the division (or if Fangio is too stubborn to make a change, which very well might happen). I don't see an MVP for Flacco or a 12-4 season happening in my crystal ball.

I personally want Lock in there sooner rather than later, but understand it might be best for his development if he learns for awhile instead of being thrown to the wolves. I view Flacco as a half-season placeholder keeping the seat warm for the heir apparent.
    I was a Chad Kelly fan...only because I saw the Sports Science show.....then he showed some competitiveness.....Problem is....he showed that against 3rd stringers....same as Sloter. Then he got promoted to 2nd string and he was ...in my opinion, average. I still wanted him inserted after Keenum proved he wasn't the answer.....then the infamous Halloween party occurred and well.....we all know what transpired after that. I banged the table for Lock.....we got him....but I also said he needed a FULL year to sit the bench. I'm afraid though.....if Lock is 3rd string....he's gonna show well, and the calls will come from the fans.....soon as Flacco has a few bad half's. I'm not foolish.....Flacco will have a few bad half's....but let him play though it.....and if need be,,,,insert Grayson to maybe salvage a game. But let's let this play out with developing Locks footwork , if he's inserted too early and hasn't corrected his issues....they'll just become too much of a habit and he'll never reach his full potential. I for one think the team is set up for success this year and many years ahead. Go Broncos !! Cannot wait for the season !!

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    If JF takes us to POs then I would certainly keep him and make Lock prove he's capable of running an NFL Offense. After 3 years we will know what we have in Lock just by preseasons and training camp competition.
    If Flacco leads the Broncos to the playoffs, I assume he will feel he's earned the right to demand an upgraded contract. I think it's unrealistic to expect Flacco to play well enough to take a team to the playoffs and remain happy with his current salary without any guaranteed money while other QBs are making $30+ million per year. So, in your scenario, it's fair to wonder what kind of contract dispute would ensue between Flacco and Elway. This is one of the reasons why I think the transition will depend more on Lock unless Flacco has a crazy season unlike anything we've seen from him. If the Broncos think Lock is ready to play, they will probably make the move just like the Chiefs with Mahomes.

Elway currently has the entire 2016 class heading for free agency in 2020 and getting rid of Flacco's contract would provide significant cap relief - especially if he demands a new contract in the $30 million/year range. I do not expect the Broncos to keep Lock on the bench for 3 years when he has 4 years on his contract. Besides the issue of getting only 1 full season of evidence before potentially giving him big money, the reality for developing QBs has changed since the current CBA. There isn't as much practice and offseason coaching as before when the Packers developed Aaron Rodgers. Back in 2017, Sports Illustraded released an article showing that, since 2006, "no team that drafted a QB in the first two rounds sat him for the entirety of his rookie season and then saw him become a long-term franchise quarterback".

It looks like Mahomes is the first QB to break that streak. Yes, Mahomes started 1 game during his rookie season, so technically we could keep him out of that category, but that's meaningless semantics IMO. I believe it's appropriate to consider Mahomes as a QB that sat for his rookie season - 1 game in week 17 did not make a huge difference - and became a franchise QB under the current CBA. However, he is the exception. I think it's still wait-and-see with Jimmy Garoppolo in terms of calling him a franchise QB, and he could be another example, but he's not playing for the team that drafted him.

So, unless Flaco goes bananas and plays like an upper-echelon QB, I think the Broncos will lean against paying Flacco in 2020 if they see Lock impressing and performing consistently at a high level inside the building.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    If Flacco leads the Broncos to the playoffs, I assume he will feel he's earned the right to demand an upgraded contract. I think it's unrealistic to expect Flacco to play well enough to take a team to the playoffs and remain happy with his current salary without any guaranteed money while other QBs are making $30+ million per year. So, in your scenario, it's fair to wonder what kind of contract dispute would ensue between Flacco and Elway. This is one of the reasons why I think the transition will depend more on Lock unless Flacco has a crazy season unlike anything we've seen from him. If the Broncos think Lock is ready to play, they will probably make the move just like the Chiefs with Mahomes.

Elway currently has the entire 2016 class heading for free agency in 2020 and getting rid of Flacco's contract would provide significant cap relief - especially if he demands a new contract in the $30 million/year range. I do not expect the Broncos to keep Lock on the bench for 3 years when he has 4 years on his contract. Besides the issue of getting only 1 full season of evidence before potentially giving him big money, the reality for developing QBs has changed since the current CBA. There isn't as much practice and offseason coaching as before when the Packers developed Aaron Rodgers. Back in 2017, Sports Illustraded released an article showing that, since 2006, "no team that drafted a QB in the first two rounds sat him for the entirety of his rookie season and then saw him become a long-term franchise quarterback".

It looks like Mahomes is the first QB to break that streak. Yes, Mahomes started 1 game during his rookie season, so technically we could keep him out of that category, but that's meaningless semantics IMO. I believe it's appropriate to consider Mahomes as a QB that sat for his rookie season - 1 game in week 17 did not make a huge difference - and became a franchise QB under the current CBA. However, he is the exception. I think it's still wait-and-see with Jimmy Garoppolo in terms of calling him a franchise QB, and he could be another example, but he's not playing for the team that drafted him.

So, unless Flaco goes bananas and plays like an upper-echelon QB, I think the Broncos will lean against paying Flacco in 2020 if they see Lock impressing and performing consistently at a high level inside the building.
    To be honest I veiw Flacco as a temporary stop gap and lock as the future. So I feel Flacco won't be around to long. I also expect Flacco to not be an upgrade from Keenum, until he proves me other wise.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    I was a Chad Kelly fan...only because I saw the Sports Science show.....then he showed some competitiveness.....Problem is....he showed that against 3rd stringers....same as Sloter. Then he got promoted to 2nd string and he was ...in my opinion, average. I still wanted him inserted after Keenum proved he wasn't the answer.....then the infamous Halloween party occurred and well.....we all know what transpired after that. I banged the table for Lock.....we got him....but I also said he needed a FULL year to sit the bench. I'm afraid though.....if Lock is 3rd string....he's gonna show well, and the calls will come from the fans.....soon as Flacco has a few bad half's. I'm not foolish.....Flacco will have a few bad half's....but let him play though it.....and if need be,,,,insert Grayson to maybe salvage a game. But let's let this play out with developing Locks footwork , if he's inserted too early and hasn't corrected his issues....they'll just become too much of a habit and he'll never reach his full potential. I for one think the team is set up for success this year and many years ahead. Go Broncos !! Cannot wait for the season !!
    You realize grayson was cut. If we have a vet back up it is Kevin hogan.

Joe Flacco is under contract to the Denver Broncos through 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    3 years of "Joe Cool" !!!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    there is no guaranteed money so he can be moved on from any time

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

My crystal ball says....Flacco plays good and shows the experience that the QB position has been lacking and takes us to the POs. He will be back in 2020...but he gets injured for a few games this year and we bring in a backup for relief. Will it be Lock or Hogan in relief for JF. If its Hogan, will the fans start clamoring for Lock even IF Hogan is better then average? I do believe Lock is 3rd stringer at this time. It would be nice to see him jump over Hogan in the preseason. I personally don't see JF getting more money. I belive his contract escalates the next 3 yrs anyway.

My crystal ball says....Flacco plays good and shows the experience that the QB position has been lacking and takes us to the POs. He will be back in 2020...but he gets injured for a few games this year and we bring in a backup for relief. Will it be Lock or Hogan in relief for JF. If its Hogan, will the fans start clamoring for Lock even IF Hogan is better then average? I do believe Lock is 3rd stringer at this time. It would be nice to see him jump over Hogan in the preseason. I personally don't see JF getting more money. I belive his contract escalates the next 3 yrs anyway.
    I see no reason why Lock won't be the number 2 QB on the depth chart. If Joe does get injured a few games and Lock comes in and plays well Joe may not get his job back

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I see no reason why Lock won't be the number 2 QB on the depth chart. If Joe does get injured a few games and Lock comes in and plays well Joe may not get his job back
    i can't wait to see lock. there is a feeling about him listening to him and stuff. this kid is gonna end up as the steal of the draft.

oakland raders gm

Itís probably just as likely the Broncos emergency quarterback will be Rypien since the Broncos gave him a contract which essentially guarantees a seasonís pay of practice squad salary

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Itís probably just as likely the Broncos emergency quarterback will be Rypien since the Broncos gave him a contract which essentially guarantees a seasonís pay of practice squad salary
    I really like your epic poem, "The Iliad". 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i can't wait to see lock. there is a feeling about him listening to him and stuff. this kid is gonna end up as the steal of the draft.
    There is a reason Lock fell to the second round of the draft, and that is his performance against the teams in the SEC. In three consecutive weeks last year, Lock threw for a total of 1 td and 5 interceptions. He has a major problem against better defensive schemes.
    There is a reason that most rookie QBs sit on the bench..

Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    There is a reason Lock fell to the second round of the draft, and that is his performance against the teams in the SEC. In three consecutive weeks last year, Lock threw for a total of 1 td and 5 interceptions. He has a major problem against better defensive schemes.
    There is a reason that most rookie QBs sit on the bench..
    the real fix to that is to get him exposure to get defensive schemes. i don't think his offensive scheme was good last year. i think he has the tools(accuracy and arm strength) and the work ethic that the floor may be a bit low but he could end up being the best QB of this draft class. right now if i am being honest my biggest worry is Rich Exceeds expectations and ends up as a HC in a year or 2. i think his scheme is gonna be light years ahead of any one we have had recently.

oakland raders gm

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    the real fix to that is to get him exposure to get defensive schemes. i don't think his offensive scheme was good last year. i think he has the tools(accuracy and arm strength) and the work ethic that the floor may be a bit low but he could end up being the best QB of this draft class. right now if i am being honest my biggest worry is Rich Exceeds expectations and ends up as a HC in a year or 2. i think his scheme is gonna be light years ahead of any one we have had recently.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Scangarello has two years as a QB coach, and one year as a "quality control coach" in the NFL. This is his first year as an Offensive Coordinator. Of course we all hope he steps up, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for a guy who has never called a play in the NFL. I'm more concerned about a lack of experience than losing the guy as a HC to another team.

As for Lock, he didn't "fall" anywhere. He is a 2nd Round talent (as Osweiler was a 2nd Round talent) who was taken in the 2nd Round.

But with that being said, "Hope springs eternal". I'm hoping that Scangarello is the true "Quarterback whisperer" and an offensive prodigy. And, I'm looking forward to seeing what Lock has. More will be revealed in a couple of months.