Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lynchpin for success is Oline and Munchak

Hope I am not overstating the obvious but hiring Munchak and rebuilding the oline May be the most important move of the off-season and for seasons to come.

Munchak is among the best oline gurus in the game and him agreeing to sign as a staff member after not getting the HC job is pretty surprising. Elway was on the top of his game with this sales pitch.

Going to be interesting to see how they rebuild the line. Basically it is a blank slate to work with. Broncos could easily have 3-4 new starters on opening day.

Who do they keep? Who do they target in FA? Who do they draft? Canít wait to see how it unfolds.

Season will depend on how quickly they are able to gel and Munchak gets them working as a unit. Broncos get this right and all the other offensive pieces are secondary.

Denver got a good look at Billy Turner (11 starts) and Elijah Wilkinson (7 starts) They got to see Connor McGovern at C as well as G. They will decide how much Jared Veldheer has left in the tank. Munchak and Kuper will help Bolles improve and will develop guys like Sam Jones, Austin Schlottmann, etc. The most important thing for the O-Line coaches is to establish unit cohesion. Versatility will help a guy make the team.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I couldn’t imagine even seeing an averag online again. That might be awesome !
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Denver got a good look at Billy Turner (11 starts) and Elijah Wilkinson (7 starts) They got to see Connor McGovern at C as well as G. They will decide how much Jared Veldheer has left in the tank. Munchak and Kuper will help Bolles improve and will develop guys like Sam Jones, Austin Schlottmann, etc. The most important thing for the O-Line coaches is to establish unit cohesion. Versatility will help a guy make the team.
    This is so true! Cohesion in the OL is so important. Knowing what the men on both sides of you is going to be doing is vital!
    This is why coaching is so vital and keeping a OL together as a group is vital.

I remember seeing an autographed picture of him on the wall of the eye doctor my wife used to work for until he retired, he was a patient here in Allentown Pa. back in his playing days. Big dude!

I think it is a wise move and hopefully he can mold the talent and they can start putting the pieces back together there!

McGovern appears to have the advantage at Center over Paradis, pre-draft. Paradis has MAJOR injury concerns, and has been a shadow of himself since he had surgery on BOTH hips. Now, he's had foot surgery. Before he was injured, he was being consistently bull-rushed by defensive linemen who shoved Paradis into Keenum's face. I can't imagine that Paradis remains on this team. Unfortunately, McGovern is also "strength-challenged" as well. I look for the Broncos to Drafft a "Center/Guard", in the 1st four Rounds in the Draft. I also see the Broncos possibly pulling the trigger on a Tackle in the 1st Round. Turner looked great when Veldheer went down, and Wiliknson looked good. So there is some talent on the offensive line

The Denver Broncos, with the new Coaching Staff (Munchak, Scangarello, etc......), and a new QB, is a much better team than they were at the end of last season. Now let's see what they can do in FA at CB and the offensive line positions in a month.

We need talent on the OL

If we keep trying to plug guys in with lesser talent it will always be an uphill battle for the coaches to make the OL work.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    McGovern appears to have the advantage at Center over Paradis, pre-draft. Paradis has MAJOR injury concerns, and has been a shadow of himself since he had surgery on BOTH hips. Now, he's had foot surgery. Before he was injured, he was being consistently bull-rushed by defensive linemen who shoved Paradis into Keenum's face. I can't imagine that Paradis remains on this team. Unfortunately, McGovern is also "strength-challenged" as well. I look for the Broncos to Drafft a "Center/Guard", in the 1st four Rounds in the Draft. I also see the Broncos possibly pulling the trigger on a Tackle in the 1st Round. Turner looked great when Veldheer went down, and Wiliknson looked good. So there is some talent on the offensive line

The Denver Broncos, with the new Coaching Staff (Munchak, Scangarello, etc......), and a new QB, is a much better team than they were at the end of last season. Now let's see what they can do in FA at CB and the offensive line positions in a month.
    What are your thoughts on a tentative, preliminary, way-to-soon, prospective, pre-draft, pre-camp, pre-season O-Line line up? I'll go with Bolles-Leary-McGovern-????-Turner and Veldheer at swing OT and ????2 at back up Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    What are your thoughts on a tentative, preliminary, way-to-soon, prospective, pre-draft, pre-camp, pre-season O-Line line up? I'll go with Bolles-Leary-McGovern-????-Turner and Veldheer at swing OT and ????2 at back up Guard.
    Billy Turner would need to be re-signed as would Veldheer.

Great question! And I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to give an answer. Ha ha.

Guys like Sam Parnell, FR Tim, and a few others know a thousand times more than I do in every area concerning the team. In any case,I'd like to see Veldheer and Turner re-signed because they both played well last season. I'd like to see Paradis cut (because of hip and foot surgeries/lack of strength at POA) and McGovern take that spot at Center. I'd like to see Bolles moved either inside, or to RT, depending on if we resign Veldheer and what we do in the Draft. I'd like to see us move on from Leary for Cap savings, and move Turner back to LG. I can't help but believe that we Draft a Left Tackle, early in the Draft who becomes our starter in Bolles spot.

But, let's face it, Munchak will be the "decider", and I can't help but believe he has his own ideas about our talent level, and who he might like in FA and the Draft. And Munchak probably has young players stashed somewhere that he wants to bring in to challenge for starting and backup spots.

That doesn't answer your question, but it gives you my amateur thinking.

Billy Turner would need to be re-signed as would Veldheer.
    I thought Turner did well enough last year to warrant a contract with us. I'd like to sign Veldheer as depth if that's possible. I don't know what Munchak is thinking though. He said he is studying film last I heard. I think we pretty much have to give a guy like Munchak the benefit of the doubt.

I thought Turner did well enough last year to warrant a contract with us. I'd like to sign Veldheer as depth if that's possible. I don't know what Munchak is thinking though. He said he is studying film last I heard. I think we pretty much have to give a guy like Munchak the benefit of the doubt.
    Rich Scangarello has probably already met with Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio. Fangio will give Scangarello general parameters of what kind of offense he wants to see. Scangarello will emphasize the parts of his playbook which fit those. He will communicate to Munchak what kind of run blocking and pass protection he needs to execute it. Munchak will study the 2018 O-Line as much as he can from video and talking with players. He will develop a tentative ranking of all the O-Linemen under contract and how many he thinks are starting material. He will make recommendations about re-signing or not re-signing Veldheer, Turner, Garcia, Wilkinson, Paradis and Gradkowski. We'll see what happens.

A key evaluation will be what to do about Bolles. Munchak will know whether to keep him at LT or try shuffling him around. If he stays at LT, Veldheer would be a great Swing Tackle because he has over sixty starts at LT and about forty at RT with a few starts at C and RG. IDK how much he would want to serve in that capacity. Turner is versatile showing he can play LG, RG and RT in a starting capacity.

Wilkinson is an ERFA with seven starts at RG last year. He will probably be kept for depth. McGovern, Bolles, Leary and Jones are under contract with Leary coming off an injury. So, if Turner and Veldheer are re-signed and Wilkinson is kept, that makes seven guys at the front of the current line. There are some developmental guys: Knappe; Barclay; Schlottmann and Falah. That's eleven and at least fifteen are needed for TC.

Question is what to do about Gradkowski, Garcia and Paradis. Doubt if Gradkowski is re-signed. Max may not be re-signed either. Matt has been a good player for the Broncos. He might fit what Fangio/Scangarello/Munchak want. Marks against him are injuries and no versatility. If he's not the starting Center, he won't be active on game day. He might be beaten out at C which would make the cost of his re-signing questionable from a cap point-of-view.

I expect Denver to sign a FA O-Lineman or two and draft one or two. After that, it's install the offense in the Spring and wait until TC/preseason for hitting which is the only way to rank the guys. Munchak will find his best five and shuffle them to their best spots. If one of the five can't go, he will bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary. Seven will dress on game day including Swing Tackle and a C/G. Eight or nine will be kept on the roster. Munchak and Kuper will get the most out of them.

Garcia is atrocious, I hope and pray we do not offer him a nickel.

Rich Scangarello has probably already met with Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio. Fangio will give Scangarello general parameters of what kind of offense he wants to see. Scangarello will emphasize the parts of his playbook which fit those. He will communicate to Munchak what kind of run blocking and pass protection he needs to execute it. Munchak will study the 2018 O-Line as much as he can from video and talking with players. He will develop a tentative ranking of all the O-Linemen under contract and how many he thinks are starting material. He will make recommendations about re-signing or not re-signing Veldheer, Turner, Garcia, Wilkinson, Paradis and Gradkowski. We'll see what happens.

A key evaluation will be what to do about Bolles. Munchak will know whether to keep him at LT or try shuffling him around. If he stays at LT, Veldheer would be a great Swing Tackle because he has over sixty starts at LT and about forty at RT with a few starts at C and RG. IDK how much he would want to serve in that capacity. Turner is versatile showing he can play LG, RG and RT in a starting capacity.

Wilkinson is an ERFA with seven starts at RG last year. He will probably be kept for depth. McGovern, Bolles, Leary and Jones are under contract with Leary coming off an injury. So, if Turner and Veldheer are re-signed and Wilkinson is kept, that makes seven guys at the front of the current line. There are some developmental guys: Knappe; Barclay; Schlottmann and Falah. That's eleven and at least fifteen are needed for TC.

Question is what to do about Gradkowski, Garcia and Paradis. Doubt if Gradkowski is re-signed. Max may not be re-signed either. Matt has been a good player for the Broncos. He might fit what Fangio/Scangarello/Munchak want. Marks against him are injuries and no versatility. If he's not the starting Center, he won't be active on game day. He might be beaten out at C which would make the cost of his re-signing questionable from a cap point-of-view.

I expect Denver to sign a FA O-Lineman or two and draft one or two. After that, it's install the offense in the Spring and wait until TC/preseason for hitting which is the only way to rank the guys. Munchak will find his best five and shuffle them to their best spots. If one of the five can't go, he will bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary. Seven will dress on game day including Swing Tackle and a C/G. Eight or nine will be kept on the roster. Munchak and Kuper will get the most out of them.
    Yup. Pretty much how I see it too. I'm really hoping that Munchak can "fix" Bolles. I've kind of given up on Paradis even though I like him because I keep hearing that he and the team aren't agreeing on a contract at all. I do not want to see Max Garcia return because his play frustrates me to no end.

For me, there are 2 new starters needed on the offensive line, and I do not want to see Elway once again slap band-aids on the group in the hope it improves, that approach has failed for years now. I want to see Elway commit to the offensive line in the draft, and this is a great year to do it. This tackle class is deep, and at 10, we will have a shot at the best tackle of the group more than likely, and I think that is Cody Ford. Then I want to see us add a starting guard as well, and that Wisconsin boy, Michael Deiter, he can play anywhere along the line, and he is an immediate starter at guard in the 2nd round. I think adding Munchak helps, but he still needs talent to coach, and adding these 2 young guys to the team with a developing Garett Bolles and Connor McGovern under Munchak, and you could have a nice core moving forward.