Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Greatest QB of all time Elway or Manning?

Last edited by EddieMac; 02-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Elway. All day every day.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    It is a troll thread Sammy because you indicated that only Manning or Elway can be considered for greatest QB of all time. This is not a thread on greatest QB in broncos history. So stop trying to act innocent now.
    I indicated them because itís a broncos forum but fine you want me to mention another. Rod Woodson said his top QB all time is Dan Marino!

Now for broncos fans, Letís say weíre in the NFL playoffs, which quarterback do you not want the task of having to stop?

John Elway? Patrick Mahomes? Brett Favre? Peyton Manning? Etc

Which quarterback would you least want to face in the playoffs, which quarterback would give you the most trouble in scheming against?

Your answer should tell you who the best quarterbacks in the league are or were!

As for the pansies because we know theyíre going to come in and cry so I will say this, nobody is afraid of facing some sissy little pansy system QB that is put in place to win all the time.

His arm is not elite, he cannot score from anywhere on the field and he certainly is not a dual threat with his inability to run!

Rod Woodson said it best, ďitís not about accomplishments, itís about talent and whoís the most threateningĒ!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 02-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Sammy,

This is hard to debate. Game was different during the two eras. I think on straight ability and as a game changing play maker Elway is the easy choice, but Mannings smarts and capability to dissect the opponent, makes that an easy choice.

Ok...redo time..

Again. Elway...

He could play in any era and excell...he is an excellent athlete and no game was out of reach with him running the show.

Manning is a brilliant football mind but I would dare say that back in the day when receivers were getting mugged all over the field, and qbs getting hit every play... he wouldn’t have survived...

Quote Originally Posted by Stackhouser View Post
    Sammy,

This is hard to debate. Game was different during the two eras. I think on straight ability and as a game changing play maker Elway is the easy choice, but Mannings smarts and capability to dissect the opponent, makes that an easy choice.
    In all honesty I think Elway would succeed in any era. Early on he had what one could say a detrimental coach but even then competing against Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Dan Marino he still seemed to overachieve. I think heíd own todayís NFL.

As for Peyton Manning, Iíve yet to see any modern QB process information and react like Manning did. Sure there are some in the league right now that read and react (Aaron Rodgers) but Peyton was a human data base with all his football expertise. Definitely one of thee smartest QBs ever if not the smartest hence why heís in the discussion for GOAT!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Ok...redo time..

Again. Elway...

He could play in any era and excell...he is an excellent athlete and no game was out of reach with him running the show.

Manning is a brilliant football mind but I would dare say that back in the day when receivers were getting mugged all over the field, and qbs getting hit every play... he wouldn’t have survived...
    I know Iíll take heat but really Mahomes is the closest QB in comparison to Elway that Iíve seen so far. The kid is a threat from anywhere on the field as Elway was.

We canít relive the great moments while watching Elway play, sure we can rewatch old film but the excitement that came at the time was priceless.

Anyway as a football fan I sometime feel that way watching Mahomes because anything can happen can anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I know I’ll take heat but really Mahomes is the closest QB in comparison to Elway that I’ve seen so far. The kid is a threat from anywhere on the field as Elway was.

We can’t relive the great moments while watching Elway play, sure we can rewatch old film but the excitement that came at the time was priceless.

Anyway as a football fan I sometime feel that way watching Mahomes because anything can happen can anywhere!
    Ya bitter sweet... I love watching him and Andrew luck... and neither are on our team..

Manning and itís not even close.

Elway is very much over rated. Still one of the greats, but I think he could learn a thing or two, or five if he spent a summer with Peyton at the Manning Passing Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Ya bitter sweet... I love watching him and Andrew luck... and neither are on our team..
    True! Iím not a big Andy Reid fan but itd be a nightmare for Denver fans to see longevity with him and Mahomes.

Luck hasnít really had the benefits of great coaching until now so we might see a sudden resurgence in INDY which will be a nightmare for all other AFC teams as well.

One thing that is unfortunate for Denver fans is that Shanahan and Elway were only together for 4 seasons as HC & QB combination however in those 4 seasons the record speaks for itself. Imagine if that duo were together for a much longer run.

Nothing against Wade but Shanahan shouldíve taken the job in 93 opposed to 95. But anyway the equivalent in today's NFL would be Patrick Mahomes and Todd Gurley coached by Mike Shanahan himself.

That is how good our combo was!

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Manning and itís not even close.

Elway is very much over rated. Still one of the greats, but I think he could learn a thing or two, or five if he spent a summer with Peyton at the Manning Passing Academy.
    I love PFM but this response made me laugh.

The debate isnít on Elway as a GM itís strictly Quarter Back skill!

I think he meant that. Every player can learn something from another great one at their position. But manning can no more Learn the beautiful naked boot and scramble anymore than elway is going to spend the hours like manning does in the film room

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I love PFM but this response made me laugh.

The debate isnít on Elway as a GM itís strictly Quarter Back skill!
    Clearly, Manning has never been a GM so a comparison canít be made.

Thereís a 4 day course that starts June 27th, not a bad idea for Elway to sneak on in!

People respect Elway for the way he went out of the game more than anything; which is why you see some rank him as a top 5 QB of all time. He is not a top 5 QB, and 10 years from now may top be a top 15. At that time Manning will still be a top 5 QB, he is straight up the superior football player.

If they played in the same era, on the same team, Elway would hold the clip board and fetch Peytonís jockstrap when asked. Elway would never see the field other than times Peyton decides to put the game out of reach for the other team, and graciously allows Elway to have a turn.
    Last edited by SMR81; 02-25-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Clearly, Manning has never been a GM so a comparison can’t be made.

There’s a 4 day course that starts June 27th, not a bad idea for Elway to sneak on in!

People respect Elway for the way he went out of the game more than anything; which is why you see some rank him as a top 5 QB of all time. He is not a top 5 QB, and 10 years from now may top be a top 15. At that time Manning will still be a top 5 QB, he is straight up the superior football player.

If they played in the same era, on the same team, Elway would hold the clip board and fetch Peyton’s jockstrap when asked. Elway would never see the field other than times Peyton decides to put the game out of reach for the other team, and graciously allows Elway to have a turn.
    I strongly disagree with this. Manning was nowhere near Elway when it came to physical attributes. Elway's game was during the play, Mannings success came before the ball was even snapped. Also, I'll argue this until the cows come home...... The era's have so much weight when debating this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stackhouser View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. Manning was nowhere near Elway when it came to physical attributes. Elway's game was during the play, Mannings success came before the ball was even snapped. Also, I'll argue this until the cows come home...... The era's have so much weight when debating this!!
    Hmmm, before the ball was snapped, so who got the ball to the players?

Manning played in almost 40 more games than Elway has, yet has lost few games than Elway.

Elwayís ceiling for passing TDs was Manningís floor!

Sure Elway was a better athlete, no argument, he could scramble and huck the ball down field. But as far as who played the QB position better, who could operate the team better, who could put points on the board, which is really the goal, Peyton was the superior QB hands down.