Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    LOL you mean like when his defense held a team that was averaging 38 ppg all season to 14 points? it's not like eli has always been clutch, either.

eli is trash, there isn't many QB's i wouldn't take over eli.
    I've got to agree with you Baph..... Eli has only had a couple good years out of what?? 14-15 years..... 50% winning record.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackhouser View Post
    I'm not an Elway Homer.... I'm trying to see if you understand the difference between the rules of todays game to when Elway played. By saying defenses are harder to beat now shows you have no idea about the past, hence you are younger and that's ok. Also, if you'd seen my first post on this topic on page one, I said they both could be considered the best due to their own aspects of the game.... The current NFL is and has been a passers league since 2000. The rules directly benefit the QB's game.
    Again, the era does not matter. What matters is what each players has show on the field. Manning has shown the better abilities. While you say Manning played with some extra benefits, Iíll counter with Elway played against players that were not as fast or strong as todayís players. Again, most people take Manning over Elway, itís just the way it is. The only argument you have for Elway is once you start playing the what if game in fantasy land. Well what if Elway played in todayís NFL? Who knows.

LOL you mean like when his defense held a team that was averaging 38 ppg all season to 14 points? it's not like eli has always been clutch, either.

eli is trash, there isn't many QB's i wouldn't take over eli.
    Eli SB rings - 2

Philip SB rings - 0

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Eli SB rings - 2

Philip SB rings - 0
    yeah and? joe flacco has a ring too, so does trent difler.........just like your argument about peyton vs elway, as far as playing the QB position, there is no comparison.

Welcome Back! #85

Again, the era does not matter. What matters is what each players has show on the field. Manning has shown the better abilities. While you say Manning played with some extra benefits, I’ll counter with Elway played against players that were not as fast or strong as today’s players. Again, most people take Manning over Elway, it’s just the way it is. The only argument you have for Elway is once you start playing the what if game in fantasy land. Well what if Elway played in today’s NFL? Who knows.
    yet when it suits your argument you want to mention just SB rings? contradict yourself much?

Welcome Back! #85

One year doesnít change much buddy. The players get better every year.
    One year???

That game and those two teams are just a fraction of the violence that went on in the NFL for years.

Saying defenses were easier to beat in the past is just ludicrous and ignorant...

Yes you are welcome to your opinion but Iíd urge you to get it right when talking about guys named Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Tombstone Jackson...

There were some real killers in the league back then. Average Quarter backs in that era really didnít last as long as they do today, not against guys like Jack Lambert or Randy Gradishar!!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 02-25-2019 at 04:04 PM.

yeah and? joe flacco has a ring too, so does trent difler.........just like your argument about peyton vs elway, as far as playing the QB position, there is no comparison.
    Yeah and I would take Joe Flacco over Rivers. Rivers is nothing burden. He puts up decent stats but craps the bed when it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    One year???

That game and those two teams are just a fraction of the violence that went on in the NFL for years.

Saying defenses were easier to beat in the past is just ludicrous and ignorant...

Yes you are welcome to your opinion but Iíd urge you to get it right when talking about guys named Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Tombstone Jackson...

There were some real killers in the league back then. Average Quarter backs in that era really didnít last as long as they do today, not against guys like Jack Lambert or Randy Gradishar!!
    Thatís all your response mentioned, Ď84.

Speaking of average QBs, thereís a good chance thatís all Elway would be in todayís NFL. Hard to say, but defenses are just too good today.

In response to this:

Manning was the better QB, hands down. Most experts and people involved with the NFL will have the same opinion.

Maybe not

Howard Mudd: If I get a choice of all the quarterbacks since '78, I would pick John Elway. He did a lot with less. I was coaching [for Cleveland] in the game, 'The Drive.' Did he have a great team around him? No. It was a good football team. They went to the Super Bowl. He went to five Super Bowls under different head coaches, different circumstances, different levels of defenses, all that.

Norv Turner: Everything about him -- the talent -- was so impressive if you saw him play in person, if you coached against him. I coached against him in Stanford, while at USC. He threw a ball over 70 yards for a touchdown on a scramble. I mean, just unbelievable talent. Unbelievably hard to defend. When Elway was playing at his prime and his best, people didn't give a darn about quarterback rating. They were trying to win. A lot of guys have started throwing a bunch of touchdown passes down inside the 3. The rating went up. You can't begrudge it. But I think it helps explain the numbers a little.

Mike Shanahan: John was the most serious competitor I have ever been around. No matter what he is doing, he is going to find a way to win. That is in every phase, not just sports. There are very, very few people like him.

Ray Rhodes: Elway has been the all-time most-respected quarterback as far as I'm concerned. He was a hard-nosed, tough guy who competed and was a winner. He had one of the strongest arms that I had seen during that era. One of the plays they used to run, he would sprint to one side of the field with the ball and then come back and throw it all the way deep down the other side, and I had never seen a guy with that type of arm strength. He was amazing, man.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Elway. No question...
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    "Let's just give them Keenum for an, "I owe you".

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    In response to this:

Manning was the better QB, hands down. Most experts and people involved with the NFL will have the same opinion.

Maybe not

Howard Mudd: If I get a choice of all the quarterbacks since '78, I would pick John Elway. He did a lot with less. I was coaching [for Cleveland] in the game, 'The Drive.' Did he have a great team around him? No. It was a good football team. They went to the Super Bowl. He went to five Super Bowls under different head coaches, different circumstances, different levels of defenses, all that.

Norv Turner: Everything about him -- the talent -- was so impressive if you saw him play in person, if you coached against him. I coached against him in Stanford, while at USC. He threw a ball over 70 yards for a touchdown on a scramble. I mean, just unbelievable talent. Unbelievably hard to defend. When Elway was playing at his prime and his best, people didn't give a darn about quarterback rating. They were trying to win. A lot of guys have started throwing a bunch of touchdown passes down inside the 3. The rating went up. You can't begrudge it. But I think it helps explain the numbers a little.

Mike Shanahan: John was the most serious competitor I have ever been around. No matter what he is doing, he is going to find a way to win. That is in every phase, not just sports. There are very, very few people like him.

Ray Rhodes: Elway has been the all-time most-respected quarterback as far as I'm concerned. He was a hard-nosed, tough guy who competed and was a winner. He had one of the strongest arms that I had seen during that era. One of the plays they used to run, he would sprint to one side of the field with the ball and then come back and throw it all the way deep down the other side, and I had never seen a guy with that type of arm strength. He was amazing, man.
    Are these guys even choosing a QB? Lol

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...-all-time/amp/

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...-time.amp.html

https://www.milehighreport.com/platf...ks-of-all-time

You just post articles written by nobodies who have never touched a field to back up your argument against guys that were on the field? Really?

This whole topic is just opinion based so I won't debate any longer

Quote Originally Posted by Stackhouser View Post
    This whole topic is just opinion based so I won't debate any longer
    Sometimes that’s the fun... not so much when people get angry...

And in the case... we all know it’s elway
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Does all time mean in the history of pro football? If so, there are a group of guys in the conversation: Sammy Baugh; Sid Luckman; Otto Graham; Johnny Unitas; Bart Starr; Roger Staubach; Terry Bradshaw; Joe Montana; Troy Aikman; John Elway; Peyton Manning; Tom Brady; et al.

There are ways to break it down: who called their own plays? championships; passing stats

It's a good topic for offseason football conversation.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus