Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    17,956

    Greatest Broncos safety

    Carrying on with the who was the best theme... itís time for safeties.

    I know, we all want to say Atwater and move on. Here is the wrinkle, Iíll put the names out, but you must consider their whole,career.. not just in Denver. Just to make it interesting,

    Steve Atwater
    John Lynch
    Austin ďGooseĒ Gonsoulin
    Brian Dawkins
    Bill Thompson
    Dennis Smith

    Thatís the best safeties I can think of. Who do you think is the best of that bunch?
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Carrying on with the who was the best theme... itís time for safeties.

    I know, we all want to say Atwater and move on. Here is the wrinkle, Iíll put the names out, but you must consider their whole,career.. not just in Denver. Just to make it interesting,

    Steve Atwater
    John Lynch
    Austin ďGooseĒ Gonsoulin
    Brian Dawkins
    Bill Thompson
    Dennis Smith

    Thatís the best safeties I can think of. Who do you think is the best of that bunch?
    Rahim Moore

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    17,956
    I never saw the old timers listed play. Reading about them clearly they were great.
    I like Lynch but not so much for his play but personality, and hits...
    Atwater defines the role of hard hitting safety, always a personal favourite... mostly for that stop, and Super Bowl performance wiping out everyone on the field,
    I’ll go with Dawkins. I have a buddy who was is an Eagles fan ( gag) and we would watch games,,,,when a stop was needed he would always calmly say b-Dawkins will step up here... and he always did. His stay in Denver was short...but I think overall he was the best of that bunch,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    17,956
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    Rahim Moore
    Buahahaha I almost put him in just for laughs..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Buahahaha I almost put him in just for laughs..
    I"ll bet Joe Flacco would put Rahim Moore on your list

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,183
    My vote is for Dennis Smith. He did everything all the others did and was the best at coverage. A month or two ago Steve Atwater was on the local Denver Bronco TV show and told a story how he was running to make a play when all of a sudden #49 (Dennis Smith) blew by him and made the play. Atwater said he told himself that he needed to up his game.
    Last edited by lvbronx; 02-26-2019 at 06:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,097
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Carrying on with the who was the best theme... it’s time for safeties.

    I know, we all want to say Atwater and move on. Here is the wrinkle, I’ll put the names out, but you must consider their whole,career.. not just in Denver. Just to make it interesting,

    Steve Atwater
    John Lynch
    Austin “Goose” Gonsoulin
    Brian Dawkins
    Bill Thompson
    Dennis Smith

    That’s the best safeties I can think of. Who do you think is the best of that bunch?
    I would take Dawkins off the list. He was a great player but his time in Denver was limited and his biggest contributions were more as a leader than as a player, imo.

    Atwater would be my vote.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    17,956
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I would take Dawkins off the list. He was a great player but his time in Denver was limited and his biggest contributions were more as a leader than as a player, imo.

    Atwater would be my vote.
    He is there...just to make it more interesting,,,and for younger (ish) fans to relate too.

    Sad he is the newest of the safeties there! We need a playmaker or two at that position..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,307
    Of course, I'm going to vote Atwater.

    It's pretty amazing when you think of the history this team has had with big hitters at safety. I think we've had three guys I'd put top 5 all time (I didn't get to watch the guys who played before the 80's). People might think I'm nuts having TJ Ward in my top 5, but if you watched the guy's entire career before he had to start adjusting fire, you'd know he was up there. He had so many crazy hits that you can't find video of anywhere. After the league started putting the kaibosh on he and Chancellor, he started going low all the time, but he'd still blow guys up. Then we had some other good ones like Smith and Dawkins. We have a rich history of enforcers and Stewart might be the last given where the league is headed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    17,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Of course, I'm going to vote Atwater.

    It's pretty amazing when you think of the history this team has had with big hitters at safety. I think we've had three guys I'd put top 5 all time (I didn't get to watch the guys who played before the 80's). People might think I'm nuts having TJ Ward in my top 5, but if you watched the guy's entire career before he had to start adjusting fire, you'd know he was up there. He had so many crazy hits that you can't find video of anywhere. After the league started putting the kaibosh on he and Chancellor, he started going low all the time, but he'd still blow guys up. Then we had some other good ones like Smith and Dawkins. We have a rich history of enforcers and Stewart might be the last given where the league is headed.
    Ward... I liked him... Stewart also... I just don’t think they are in the same level as the ones listed..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,297
    I've always thought John Lynch was overrated (both in Denver and Tampa) because of his highlight reel hits. I don't think he was a fantastic player, but a good player who could lay people out. He played 15 seasons to Atwater's 11 and Atwater had 126 more tackles and only 2 less interceptions.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Of course, I'm going to vote Atwater.

    It's pretty amazing when you think of the history this team has had with big hitters at safety. I think we've had three guys I'd put top 5 all time (I didn't get to watch the guys who played before the 80's). People might think I'm nuts having TJ Ward in my top 5, but if you watched the guy's entire career before he had to start adjusting fire, you'd know he was up there. He had so many crazy hits that you can't find video of anywhere. After the league started putting the kaibosh on he and Chancellor, he started going low all the time, but he'd still blow guys up. Then we had some other good ones like Smith and Dawkins. We have a rich history of enforcers and Stewart might be the last given where the league is headed.
    Are we voting on big hits or actual play over a distinguished career though? His career was fairly short, and when he lost it, he lost it quickly. For as good as he was for the Broncos in 2014 and especially 2015, he was as equally poor in 2016. He couldn't cover anyone, and he couldn't seem to tackle anyone either.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,307
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Ward... I liked him... Stewart also... I just donít think they are in the same level as the ones listed..
    I agree.

    I was just going off on a tangent about big hitters. I think you got the list about right.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Are we voting on big hits or actual play over a distinguished career though? His career was fairly short, and when he lost it, he lost it quickly. For as good as he was for the Broncos in 2014 and especially 2015, he was as equally poor in 2016. He couldn't cover anyone, and he couldn't seem to tackle anyone either.
    For sure. He wasn't as good as those guys overall. I would argue though, that in 14 and 15 he was comparable to Dawk when he was here.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    For sure. He wasn't as good as those guys overall. I would argue though, that in 14 and 15 he was comparable to Dawk when he was here.
    For sure, I would even say he was better than Dawkins if were looking at Dawkins run in Denver v 2014 and 2015 for Ward.

    It's too bad they never tried Bailey at FS (later in his career), I think with his skills reading plays he would have been a complete game changer playing the centre field role. And as much as I dislike Talib (mainly for his antics), I think he could be one of the best centre field safeties in the game if he moved there. You just can't teach that ability to read things and anticipate. And both have/had no issue coming up and making a tackle on a run play.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •