Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,662
    I understand the love for the athletic ability he has, but he is not a great football player right now. I see White as a very hit or miss prospect, with a high ceiling, but a low floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle out of the gates as he doesn't make a lot of quality football plays on a consistent basis. I am yet to watch a game of his and be genuinely impressed with anything beyond his athletic ability.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    I am not so sure I am sold on White at #10. I think I would rather have Mack Wilson in the early second or some other guys later in the draft. 3 things really make me nervous about white which I think will prevent him from being a Vander Esch type of player. And at 10 we are investing money so we don't need him to be better than guys picked later.. we need him to be a perennial pro bowler or we are wasting cap money.

    1. His instincts at the position are not great. Not anywhere near Vander Esch and Smith from last years draft. He overcame this in college (last year only) because he is so physically gifted.
    2. His coverage in space is not great. While he is fast enough to cover a TE or RB his actual coverage skills and space eating in zone coverage are not very good. This is hard to coach and not something that I think he could ever develop to a Kuechly or Ray Lewis level. Of course both of those guys are in another world.
    3. Maybe most concerning is his tackling fundamentals. His contact leverage is terrible. This results in missed tackles and tackles where he brings the guy down but it is on the runners terms not his.

    Ultimately he reminds me of a little bigger and faster DJ WIlliams. DJ was a good LB for a long time for us but I am not sure I prefer that over solid starting (potential pro bowl) CB, OL, or even DL that is slipping.

    I am also not a huge fan of greedy williams for several reasons but I think he will be gone before our pick anyway.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I understand the love for the athletic ability he has, but he is not a great football player right now. I see White as a very hit or miss prospect, with a high ceiling, but a low floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle out of the gates as he doesn't make a lot of quality football plays on a consistent basis. I am yet to watch a game of his and be genuinely impressed with anything beyond his athletic ability.
    If any coach has molded high ceiling lbers into something great it's been fangio. He is a former lb coach from baltimore

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    If any coach has molded high ceiling lbers into something great it's been fangio. He is a former lb coach from baltimore
    I don't care, I don't value workout warriors inside the first round, the history of that strategy ending poorly is well documented. "MYoung" had a great post above on the lack of quality tape of Devin White, and it is evident throughout this past season. It isn't just a game here or a game there, he consistently shows poor tackling form, consistently takes bad angles, and overall just lacks football ability at this point. I see taking Devin White based on his raw potential as no different then taking a quarterback at the same spot based strictly on their arm, and nothing else. I am not on board with White at 10 personally, and I hope the focus is offensive line.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I understand the love for the athletic ability he has, but he is not a great football player right now. I see White as a very hit or miss prospect, with a high ceiling, but a low floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle out of the gates as he doesn't make a lot of quality football plays on a consistent basis. I am yet to watch a game of his and be genuinely impressed with anything beyond his athletic ability.
    Well said

    I will also note that it was very obvious to see White's lack of nature instinct at the position, or D in general by being on the same Defense as Delpit. Now that guy is going to be the next safety taken very high in the draft. Big time skills and far and away the best defender on LSU this year. Of course that is only my opinion.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    14,368
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't care, I don't value workout warriors inside the first round, the history of that strategy ending poorly is well documented. "MYoung" had a great post above on the lack of quality tape of Devin White, and it is evident throughout this past season. It isn't just a game here or a game there, he consistently shows poor tackling form, consistently takes bad angles, and overall just lacks football ability at this point. I see taking Devin White based on his raw potential as no different then taking a quarterback at the same spot based strictly on their arm, and nothing else. I am not on board with White at 10 personally, and I hope the focus is offensive line.
    Brett Kollman has a great video of white that pretty much states what you pointed out with the bad instincts and poor tackling form. But also points out he was recruited to be a running back which explains the other two things being poor. So it will come down to can a coach believe he can coach those two things to make him be great or will this two things turn him into a bust.

    Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    Brett Kollman has a great video of white that pretty much states what you pointed out with the bad instincts and poor tackling form. But also points out he was recruited to be a running back which explains the other two things being poor. So it will come down to can a coach believe he can coach those two things to make him be great or will this two things turn him into a bust.
    I have seen the video and agree that it is very good. My other concern with White is that ILB is not a premium draft spot or pay for most teams. If we pick someone at #10, I hope it is not a guy that has several attributes "that need to be coached out of him"

    I don't think White will be a bust, although there is always a possibility. I think there is a legitimate chance he will be average or below average. If we pick an ILB at #10 we need him to be a perennial pro bowler. I would take almost any other position before ILB given our needs across the board. I think we could use an upgrade at almost every position (Edge rusher an obvious exception).

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    13,171
    I definitely would NOT trade up. Too many needs starting with qb to make a trade like that for him. I personally would rather not take him at 10. I'd rather trade back and get more picks than take him at 10. But, if Fangio wanted him and we took him at 10, I would trust the new coaches instincts and would not be upset. I would be pretty upset if we traded up though.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

    --J.R.R. Tolkien

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by #87Birdman View Post
    Brett Kollman has a great video of white that pretty much states what you pointed out with the bad instincts and poor tackling form. But also points out he was recruited to be a running back which explains the other two things being poor. So it will come down to can a coach believe he can coach those two things to make him be great or will this two things turn him into a bust.
    Vic is just the coach to fix those things IMO
    http://i67.tinypic.com/so4fua.jpgFOR HOF!!!!
    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    13,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin27 View Post
    Vic is just the coach to fix those things IMO

    Agreed............
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

    --J.R.R. Tolkien

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't care, I don't value workout warriors inside the first round, the history of that strategy ending poorly is well documented. "MYoung" had a great post above on the lack of quality tape of Devin White, and it is evident throughout this past season. It isn't just a game here or a game there, he consistently shows poor tackling form, consistently takes bad angles, and overall just lacks football ability at this point. I see taking Devin White based on his raw potential as no different then taking a quarterback at the same spot based strictly on their arm, and nothing else. I am not on board with White at 10 personally, and I hope the focus is offensive line.

    Just a couple of observations: He's not a workout warrior. He has the unusually high strength and speed to be an impact player. He also doesn't consistently take the wrong angles. He makes mistakes reading plays sometimes because he doesn't always read them correctly, and when he does that he's defaulting to the way a RB reads instead of the way a LB reads. He tries to guess what the RB is going to do instead of just doing his job. And, yes, he doesn't execute form tackles consistently. Luckily for us we just hired one of the greatest LB teachers that the league has seen in Vic Fangio who has said on several occasions that he absolutely will grind the fundamentals into the heads of every single player on our team. Denver would be a great place for Devin White to be drafted. I would like to see him as our #10 pick.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,662
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Just a couple of observations: He's not a workout warrior. He has the unusually high strength and speed to be an impact player. He also doesn't consistently take the wrong angles. He makes mistakes reading plays sometimes because he doesn't always read them correctly, and when he does that he's defaulting to the way a RB reads instead of the way a LB reads. He tries to guess what the RB is going to do instead of just doing his job. And, yes, he doesn't execute form tackles consistently. Luckily for us we just hired one of the greatest LB teachers that the league has seen in Vic Fangio who has said on several occasions that he absolutely will grind the fundamentals into the heads of every single player on our team. Denver would be a great place for Devin White to be drafted. I would like to see him as our #10 pick.
    You literally agreed with everything I said, highlighting his only positive as the strength and speed he possesses ? Not trying to fight with you, but are you aware of what a workout warrior is ?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    You literally agreed with everything I said, highlighting his only positive as the strength and speed he possesses ? Not trying to fight with you, but are you aware of what a workout warrior is ?
    Every time I've heard the term "workout warrior" it has been used to describe someone who performs well in the gym but not on the field. White certainly isn't that. Also, he doesn't consistently take bad angles as you said. He sometimes reacts to plays by trying to figure out what the RB is trying to do rather than focusing on his assignment. So, no, I did not literally agree with everything you said. I didn't even figuratively agree with everything you said. The only point I agreed with you on is that he doesn't execute form tackles. As I said, Denver has a great coach to help him with just that. Draft picks are a crap shoot but Denver looks like a great place for him.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Every time I've heard the term "workout warrior" it has been used to describe someone who performs well in the gym but not on the field. White certainly isn't that. Also, he doesn't consistently take bad angles as you said. He sometimes reacts to plays by trying to figure out what the RB is trying to do rather than focusing on his assignment. So, no, I did not literally agree with everything you said. I didn't even figuratively agree with everything you said. The only point I agreed with you on is that he doesn't execute form tackles. As I said, Denver has a great coach to help him with just that. Draft picks are a crap shoot but Denver looks like a great place for him.
    I totally agree with this comment, except maybe the last sentence... I believe White performed at a pretty high level in college but his athleticism allowed him to make up for poor technique. IMO that will be far more difficult in the NFL where everyone is bigger stronger faster. I will also note that one of White's biggest strengths is shedding blockers which I think will help him significantly in his transition. I still feel that the poor technique and instincts make him a risk to be very average.

    I feel like he could be taught to tackle better but I am less sure about the instincts. I fear this ends up in many plays which should be made at the line of scrimmage, made 4-7 yards downfield... or worse yet, missed altogether by our MLB.

    I would prefer another position. My preference would be the top rated OL on the board, the top rated CB on the board (assuming they run fast this week), or Lock.

    But I think I would still be happy with White, Oliver, Hockensen, or maybe even Metcalf (if he lights things up like people expect). I think we could use an upgrade at almost every position. BPA

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by myoung View Post
    I totally agree with this comment, except maybe the last sentence... I believe White performed at a pretty high level in college but his athleticism allowed him to make up for poor technique. IMO that will be far more difficult in the NFL where everyone is bigger stronger faster. I will also note that one of White's biggest strengths is shedding blockers which I think will help him significantly in his transition. I still feel that the poor technique and instincts make him a risk to be very average.

    I feel like he could be taught to tackle better but I am less sure about the instincts. I fear this ends up in many plays which should be made at the line of scrimmage, made 4-7 yards downfield... or worse yet, missed altogether by our MLB.

    I would prefer another position. My preference would be the top rated OL on the board, the top rated CB on the board (assuming they run fast this week), or Lock.

    But I think I would still be happy with White, Oliver, Hockensen, or maybe even Metcalf (if he lights things up like people expect). I think we could use an upgrade at almost every position. BPA

    Yeah. I understand what you are saying. I don't see anyone as a 'can't miss' kind of guy at #10. I just see a small group of guys that I think would be worth the risk of taking at that spot. I have White as the best of that group.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •