Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Biggest Scouting Miss

While Perusing some of my old posts to see how I have evaluated players in some years past caused me both feel some pride and exude a few laughs. I am happy to see that I have hit on a number of players but seeing some of my misses gave me more intrigue. It made me curious to see who were some peoples worst misses and why they believed they missed....
    personally I can confidently say My worst miss was by far:
    Christian Hackenburg. After his freshman year I was sure he would become a stud....the guy never played a snap and is a bit of a joke know(whoops&#129322 I believe he faltered because of the lack of mental acuity and accuracy.

Close second: Scooby Wright LB out of Arizona...I was enamored with Scooby after he annihilated my Oregon Ducks. He posted some ridiculous stats...something like 160 tackles 15 sacks and 20+ TFL. He has been a no show in his NFL career to this point. I think I missed on this one by getting caught up in college production over looking at the traits.

Lets hear your biggest uh ohs.

RB-Trent Richardson: I felt like he was as sure as a prospect as there was, and he started out his career strong, but I think his violent style and wear on his body quickly caught up with him. The way he ran the ball at Alabama, I couldn't see anyway his game didn't translate to the NFL, but he didn't have the career I thought he would.

WR-Stedman Bailey: I loved Stedman Bailey, I thought he was destined to be a reception machine in the NFL. His route running and natural pass catching ability I thought would translate immediately, but his career was pretty underwhelming. He only played 3 years and got shot in the head, but I thought he would have had more immediate impact.

WR-Justin Blackmon: I wished we were in a position to grab him in 2012, I thought he was going to be the next great, dominant receiver in the NFL. He didn't find himself in the best position in Jacksonville, and he got himself in trouble, but he didn't have the career I thought he was going to have, not in the slightest.

One that comes to mind was Quenton Nelson . I didnt think a Guard was worthy of a tol 5 pick .

I would say Tavon Austin. I thought he would be the player that Tyreke Hill is before Tyreke Hill happened.

Montee Ball.

Never again.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    RB-Trent Richardson: I felt like he was as sure as a prospect as there was, and he started out his career strong, but I think his violent style and wear on his body quickly caught up with him. The way he ran the ball at Alabama, I couldn't see anyway his game didn't translate to the NFL, but he didn't have the career I thought he would.

WR-Stedman Bailey: I loved Stedman Bailey, I thought he was destined to be a reception machine in the NFL. His route running and natural pass catching ability I thought would translate immediately, but his career was pretty underwhelming. He only played 3 years and got shot in the head, but I thought he would have had more immediate impact.

WR-Justin Blackmon: I wished we were in a position to grab him in 2012, I thought he was going to be the next great, dominant receiver in the NFL. He didn't find himself in the best position in Jacksonville, and he got himself in trouble, but he didn't have the career I thought he was going to have, not in the slightest.
    Trent Richardson is probably mine as well. I thought he was a sure fire gaurantee. Iíll never again under estimate the wear and tear Bama rbs take ruining their motivation. It wasnít injuries with him. I think he just got lazy. And whatís worse is he came out on fire his rookie year. And then just lost it.

Also a very close second if not first is knowshow moreno. I swore up and down to a buddy he was the next LT after watching him for years at Georgia ripping my Auburn tigers to shreds. Thinks he did at UGa were unreal. But he never quite realized that potential for highlight reels with the Broncos. He has a solid year the super bowl season but he never sniffed LT in my opinion.

Watching college highlights of Alvin Kamara, I wasn't really all that impressed. He seemed to have some straightline speed, but most of his runs were through huge holes and there wasn't a lot of video of him breaking tackles or impressive jukes. He just didn't pop off the tape to me. Thought he had bust written all over him. Meh.

I was wrong about virtually every prospect from the 2013 draft class and Patrick Mahomes.

Broncos: Alphonso Smith, Paxton Lynch, Ronnie Hillman

Others: thought Rob Gronkowski was a hilarious pick, thought Andy Dalton was next best QB, and thought we should moved up to select Justin Gilbert instead of Roby or even Verrett. Mack was a huge stretch pick for raiders he was overhyped, man I was wrong

For myself it was definitely Paxton and Shane Ray. Was excited for both pick, and subsequently disappointed in both.

I had mahomes has a 2nd to 3rd round pick and called him a reach when he was drafted due to the system he played in

Brock Osweiller and Paxton Lynch... they were both tied with my top QBs I wanted in those drafts...Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott were the tied QBs

Also Ronnie Hillman and Scooby Wright
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Garrett Grayson. I thought he would be the best Qb in his class and I was very annoyed we didn't draft him. (We got him now though lol)

I also thought Dak Prescott was going to be a great QB and was horrified when we got Pax and while I wasn't wrong that he would be better, I think he is a below average starter

If I'm being honest, the Broncos pick I've been most upset with in the last 10 years was Von Miller. Coming out of the 2010 season where Denver was horrendous at everything on defense I thought they needed to shore up the middle of the line with a guy who could stop the run, and rush the passer. I wanted Marcel Dareus, he was a can't miss prospect. I thought Miller was too small to play DE and teams would be able to go up the middle or to the other side.

Now to be fair Dareus' first 4 years in Buffalo made him look exactly like the difference maker I wanted. And then the suspensions started (two of them so far) and the returns started to diminish quite a bit.

Meanwhile I was pretty wrong about Von Miller. Turns out he can change games, and him being on the field makes offences have to scheme around him. And he seems to have a knack for making a big play (sack or strip sack) late in the game when the other team is trying to drive to tie it or win.

That 2011 draft class turned out to be one of the best ever in my opinion, especially that top 10. But if you think back, do you remember the narrative ? Everyone said it was a terrible year to have a top 10 pick, because there were no elite talents. One guy I think most people were wrong about was Cam Newton, and the picks following him were all great picks in my opinion. The guy I didn't want from that class was Patrick Peterson, and I believed in terms of being a natural corner, Jimmy Smith would have a better career. He was a player I was probably the most wrong on from memory, as Peterson has carved out a long successful career. Although I still think Jimmy Smith has been one of the best corners over the same period of time when he has been healthy.