Thread: CB prospects

CB prospects

I know some are down on Greedy Williams for different reasons, but he just posted a 4.37 40. Meanwhile, Baker posted a 4.52, and Murphy a 4.55. Really, are any of them worth a top 10 pick? Greedy has great height and speed, but lacks physicality. The other two lack elite speed. I know someone's 40 time doesn't tell the whole story, but is anyone really excited by these three prospects?

LSU cornerback Greedy Williams, who ran a 4.38 40-yard dash Monday morning, at 6-1 7/8, 185 pounds would certainly test Broncos' coach Vic Fangio's beliefs and a cornerback-starved team at the moment if Williams was somehow still on the board next month when the Broncos' pick rolled around at No. 10. Williams has admitted his tackling needs plenty of work and when Fangio was asked at the combine this past week if there was anything non-negotiable on a defensive player in the draft he said: "Tackling is one. Everyone's got to be able to tackle."

I would say no to Greedy !

Pass on Greedy. He has a ton of talent, but I just don't see the want to from him, especially when it comes to tackling which Fangio said is a non negotiable. He also looked really poor in the on field drills today.

I think there are better value choices to be had at corner on day 2.

I think Fangio places a premium on physicality. Hopefully these times push Baker and Murphy down a bit

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I know some are down on Greedy Williams for different reasons, but he just posted a 4.37 40. Meanwhile, Baker posted a 4.52, and Murphy a 4.55. Really, are any of them worth a top 10 pick? Greedy has great height and speed, but lacks physicality. The other two lack elite speed. I know someone's 40 time doesn't tell the whole story, but is anyone really excited by these three prospects?
    when you watch his coverage early in the season especially in man or press there is plenty physicality. the Problem with Greedy is he only plays when he wants to. when the national championship was not possible any more his play dropped off a cliff.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Here's more info about how some CB prospects fared at the combine.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2019stockDB.php

Amani Oruwariye in the second round would be excellent value, very physical corner reminds me of Talib and Kendall Sheffield who needs work but with his speed is an interesting prospect. side note i do hope Yiadom and Langley can take the next steps and become key contributors both look a good fit in this defence as Fangio tends to favour bigger corners.

Quote Originally Posted by 15thebeast View Post
    Amani Oruwariye in the second round would be excellent value, very physical corner reminds me of Talib and Kendall Sheffield who needs work but with his speed is an interesting prospect. side note i do hope Yiadom and Langley can take the next steps and become key contributors both look a good fit in this defence as Fangio tends to favour bigger corners.
    From what Iíve seen of Fangio he likes the physical corners that can funnel routes to the inside to shorten the distance that his Safeties and Linebackers have to cover to make a play on the ball. It also allows the CBs to be super aggressive on short and any outbreaking routes.

If we can get a true center field safety (very rare) it opens up a lot in terms of creative blitz packages. Same thing with a LB that can carry a TE up the seam. Either way Iím expecting a lot of physical bump and run cover 2 and cover 3 next season which should give our pass rushers more chances.

Quote Originally Posted by 15thebeast View Post
    https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ver-129690444/

i wouldn't count on Langley to do anything at CB. looks like they have given up on him there and are trying him else where. where he played mainly in college and high school at WR.

Steve Atwater wants Deandre Baker.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Greedy Williams reminds me a lot of Dominique Rodgers-Cromatie when he came out of Tennessee State. Look at there games, their measurables, and their combine numbers, they are identical prospects in a lot of ways. Both are lanky, rangy, long limbed corners who can run really well, but they also both show an unwillingness to engage blockers or take on contact, they are soft. Both players are 6 foot 2, both weighed in at around 185 pounds at the combine, and both ran in the 4.3 range. I think Greedy will have a successful career like Cromatie has, but I don't ever see him being that elite lock down guy who can also help out in the run game, I wouldn't take Greedy.

I haven't done a heap of research on cornerbacks beyond the top guys, and I usually don't as it is hard to see everything with them based on the broadcast angles available to us, but I think Byron Murphy is the first guy taken at cornerback due to the fact he is that guy you can count on in coverage, and he is willing to play the run as well.

Two guys that I have watched who I like are Joejuan Williams, who I seen mentioned in here, and Michael Jackson from Miami. Both are big, physical, well built cornerbacks with Jackson being at around 200 pounds. Right now CBS has him listed as the #153 rated prospect, but I see a guy who will probably go higher than that ranking, especially if a team who asks their corners to play a lot of man-to-man, pressing at the line of scrimmage, they will like him. I am not sure what Fangio wants from his cornerbacks, but if Fangio want's quick twitch zone type guys, I don't think Williams or Jackson would be a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ver-129690444/

i wouldn't count on Langley to do anything at CB. looks like they have given up on him there and are trying him else where. where he played mainly in college and high school at WR.

Steve Atwater wants Deandre Baker.
    thats interesting, the big knock on Langley when he came out was he lacked technique and would need coaching up to play corner. all the physical tools are there to be a solid corner even if he plays in dime package and on special teams but we really do need players to start stepping up we've had too many misses in recent years on draft picks.

What a shock, Brandon Langley hasn't worked out. Another middle round head scratcher by Elway has officially failed it seems, that draft class is looking horrible right about now.

Rock Ya-Sin.

That's it. If he is available in the 2nd round, I hope we take him.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I love Baker myself. That Frame is sweet and he closes out space in a hurry. Not sure we take him at all, as too many higher prospects are going to fall to 10.