Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Langley to WR

So what's the worst case scenario here? He doesn't turn out to be good at WR and doesn't make the team. Which is no different than him at CB, because he's not making the team at that position.

What's the best case scenario here? He turns out to be a good WR and makes the team.

What's the likely scenario? There are 2: first he shows enough to get interest but not enough to make the team and goes to the practice squad. The second is that he's raw at WR, but shows enough there that he makes the team because he can return kicks and has an ability to cover on special teams.

I don't see a downside to any of those 4 scenarios. Even in the worst case scenario he ends up exactly where he would be as a corner. Not sure why people seem down on this?

Another top Round Draft choice (3rd Round) who can't play. You continue to do that year, after year, after year, and you end up scrambling for any talent, whatsoever. And then you end up Drafting at #5 or #10 like us.

I hope to God that last years Draft wasn't an aberration. And now that Kubiak is gone, we may find out if HE was responsible for last years "decent" Draft, it was a fluke, we got lucky, or if maybe last years Draft isn't as good as it now appears.

Should be interesting, beginning Thursday night.

Why does Kubiak get so much credit for last years draft but none of the blame for the picks when he was the head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Why does Kubiak get so much credit for last years draft but none of the blame for the picks when he was the head coach?
    Because head coaches donít have time to scout. Last year scouting was his primary responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Because head coaches don’t have time to scout. Last year scouting was his primary responsibility.
    That's not entirely true, as soon as the season is over coaches are generally tasked with breaking down the season, identifying where they need to get better and then finding players of interest in both free agency and the draft. Almost every HC will go to the Senior Bowl and combine, along with a pro day or two. They'll be at every single in person interview/meeting. And ultimately they'll be working to identify players for the last 6 to 7 weeks leading up to the draft.

They may not scout during the season, but they'll have spent a lot of time on prospects leading to the draft and they'll have their opinions on who they want and who they don't.

I don't see any way he makes the team. I don't think I even want him to make the team as he'd be so raw and basically gave up at CB, but I guess if shows something, then sure. But, yeah, he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    That's not entirely true, as soon as the season is over coaches are generally tasked with breaking down the season, identifying where they need to get better and then finding players of interest in both free agency and the draft. Almost every HC will go to the Senior Bowl and combine, along with a pro day or two. They'll be at every single in person interview/meeting. And ultimately they'll be working to identify players for the last 6 to 7 weeks leading up to the draft.

They may not scout during the season, but they'll have spent a lot of time on prospects leading to the draft and they'll have their opinions on who they want and who they don't.
    Agreed, but thatís not the same as doing it full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I believe what AL is saying is that Kubiak may be good at evaluating talent but he showed that he was better at leading that group when he was doing it on a full-time basis. As a HC he is not able to put in the hours during the season and that is OK and a good thing. I do think that the reasonably high level of play we saw from our picks last year shows that a change in the scouting department was needed. I just hope that this season we don't see our team revert back to our "old ways" and draft poor players. I also hope, and this is more my mindset and comment, that we focus more on drafting quality players and drafting specific players we like - EVEN IF it means we pick fewer players in the draft by trading up or down where needed.