Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,915
    Miami has no business laughing at anybody.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Miami has no business laughing at anybody.
    Thats for sure!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    There's a story on CBS sports that the Miami Dolphins are supposedly laughing at the Denver Broncos for signing this guy?????
    I got this off CBS sports:

    Dolphins wanted to keep Ja’Wuan James, but they didn’t want to go as high as Denver did. Broncos tried to trade for him last offseason and made him one of their top FA targets this offseason. They got their man.

    — Cameron Wolfe (@CameronWolfe) March 12, 2019

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    There's a story on CBS sports that the Miami Dolphins are supposedly laughing at the Denver Broncos for signing this guy?????
    here is the article:

    No move executed during NFL free agency was as poor as the Denver Broncos handing former Dolphin Ja'Wuan James a record-setting pact.

    This is the evidently sourced opinion of The MMQB's Andy Benoit, who ranked the best and worst transactions from the league's signing period — and in doing so, dropped a bomb about Denver's newly-minted right tackle.

    Fifty-one million for a fart device?

    "Privately, some people close to the Dolphins waited to see who signed James with the same eager anticipation with which you wait to see who sits on the seat with the whoopie cushion," Benoit wrote. "They believe a rude surprise awaits that GM. Turns out the GM is John Elway. He won’t hear the whoopie cushion until later down the road, but the Dolphins are already laughing. You can understand why Elway made the move; right tackles are hard to find, and playing with a bad one can significantly hinder your scheme. But the belief by some in Miami was that other teams wouldn’t know just how much energy was spent each week gameplanning ways to hide and help James. He’s not quick or nimble enough to get out in space in the screen game, and he’s prone to breakdowns (both physical and mental) in pass protection."

    All bets are OFF on what will happen in the Broncos' 2019 offseason! Don’t miss out on any news and analysis, take a second to sign up for our FREE Broncos newsletter, delivered three times daily!

    As I've written, Denver undoubtedly overpaid for James, far and away the best RT among this year's free-agent class. Some of this was unavoidable, as teams were throwing around wild money, ballooning James' market value and subsequently forcing the Broncos' hand. Some of this was also by design, however, as the club is banking on his upside, hopeful that new OL coach Mike Munchak can unlock the 26-year-old's Pro Bowl potential.

    General manager John Elway whiffed on so many tackles over the years, he appeared willing to open his pocketbook if it meant stopping the deadly cycle.

    "He’s young. We really like him," Elway said Friday. "He’s a good fit for us with what we want to do with the zone scheme and outside-zone. He’s a physical guy and he plays hard. We’re excited about him. There is no question that hopefully he solidifies—we’re planning on him solidifying that right tackle for us. We really feel good about the two young tackles that we now have (James & Garett Bolles) and what we’re doing. We’ll just continue to get better there.”



    James' struggles are noted. He surrendered five sacks in 2018 and 5.5 in 2016, and was popped for eight combined holding penalties during those campaigns. His Pro Football Focus ratings for last season aren't strikingly flattering: 70.8 overall, 67.3 pass blocking, 69.1 run blocking.

    1
    COMMENTS
    Conversely, he's a massive on-paper improvement on Jared Veldheer and familiar with assistant OL coach Chris Kuper from their time in Miami. Methinks Kuper would recognize a whoopie cushion when he sees one, and he'd relay that to Elway before making James the richest ever at his position.

    But, hey, Benoit did a decent job letting the air out ...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    12,854
    The only reason any Dolphins fans should be laughing is to keep from crying after losing him. They can now add OT to their many needs.

    This from the team that brought in Gase, Paid big bucks for Tannehill and followed that with Cutler. Now that is funny.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,153
    The Broncos paid too much for James but that was pretty much dictated by the many other teams paying too much too. He won't be that overpaid in a couple of years and hopefully he will prove to be solid. I'm sure Kuper is familiar with his play and I'm sure Munchack watched video too.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    There's a story on CBS sports that the Miami Dolphins are supposedly laughing at the Denver Broncos for signing this guy?????
    Will they'll be laughing when their right side gets crushed constantly and they go 1-15? It's like when you're one of the worst teams in the league, know your place.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,218
    It is part of the East coast bias. NFL network, Walterfootball and CBS rates almost every move Denver makes as a serious mistake, IMO
    Yes Denver paid too much for their Free Agents, but so did most everyone who agreed to sign a player on that first day, but if you didn't sign them, the other teams would have! Look back at these signing in two or three years and you will know who was a good or bad signing. It really burns their butts when someone besides New England teams win a Super Bowl! lol

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,626
    They way I see it is what it's worth to have a player that can stop Khalil Mack? A player talented enough to stop Bosa and Ingram? If the Jets are going to drop 17 million for an ILB that impacts the game far less than an OT, then 13 million for a player that keeps the right side safe is worth it. I'd rather do this than lose 3-4 games because Flacco keeps getting sacked or the run game can't open up.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    here is the article:

    No move executed during NFL free agency was as poor as the Denver Broncos handing former Dolphin Ja'Wuan James a record-setting pact.

    This is the evidently sourced opinion of The MMQB's Andy Benoit, who ranked the best and worst transactions from the league's signing period — and in doing so, dropped a bomb about Denver's newly-minted right tackle.

    Fifty-one million for a fart device?

    "Privately, some people close to the Dolphins waited to see who signed James with the same eager anticipation with which you wait to see who sits on the seat with the whoopie cushion," Benoit wrote. "They believe a rude surprise awaits that GM. Turns out the GM is John Elway. He won’t hear the whoopie cushion until later down the road, but the Dolphins are already laughing. You can understand why Elway made the move; right tackles are hard to find, and playing with a bad one can significantly hinder your scheme. But the belief by some in Miami was that other teams wouldn’t know just how much energy was spent each week gameplanning ways to hide and help James. He’s not quick or nimble enough to get out in space in the screen game, and he’s prone to breakdowns (both physical and mental) in pass protection."

    All bets are OFF on what will happen in the Broncos' 2019 offseason! Don’t miss out on any news and analysis, take a second to sign up for our FREE Broncos newsletter, delivered three times daily!

    As I've written, Denver undoubtedly overpaid for James, far and away the best RT among this year's free-agent class. Some of this was unavoidable, as teams were throwing around wild money, ballooning James' market value and subsequently forcing the Broncos' hand. Some of this was also by design, however, as the club is banking on his upside, hopeful that new OL coach Mike Munchak can unlock the 26-year-old's Pro Bowl potential.

    General manager John Elway whiffed on so many tackles over the years, he appeared willing to open his pocketbook if it meant stopping the deadly cycle.

    "He’s young. We really like him," Elway said Friday. "He’s a good fit for us with what we want to do with the zone scheme and outside-zone. He’s a physical guy and he plays hard. We’re excited about him. There is no question that hopefully he solidifies—we’re planning on him solidifying that right tackle for us. We really feel good about the two young tackles that we now have (James & Garett Bolles) and what we’re doing. We’ll just continue to get better there.”



    James' struggles are noted. He surrendered five sacks in 2018 and 5.5 in 2016, and was popped for eight combined holding penalties during those campaigns. His Pro Football Focus ratings for last season aren't strikingly flattering: 70.8 overall, 67.3 pass blocking, 69.1 run blocking.

    1
    COMMENTS
    Conversely, he's a massive on-paper improvement on Jared Veldheer and familiar with assistant OL coach Chris Kuper from their time in Miami. Methinks Kuper would recognize a whoopie cushion when he sees one, and he'd relay that to Elway before making James the richest ever at his position.

    But, hey, Benoit did a decent job letting the air out ...
    I’m surprised this is even an article considering they wouldn’t trade him to us, picked up his option, as well as trying to renegotiate with him.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,659
    O-Line UFAs command a lot of money. There seems to be a shortage of good ones.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    20,977
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I’m surprised this is even an article considering they wouldn’t trade him to us, picked up his option, as well as trying to renegotiate with him.
    agreed
    ....

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    8,585
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I’m surprised this is even an article considering they wouldn’t trade him to us, picked up his option, as well as trying to renegotiate with him.
    Great point!! Denver is laughing cause we didn’t have to give up any picks and Miami can’t get anybody to come play there because they have a “we’re in South beach Culture, kinda like that squad that use to play in San Diego 😆”

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    6,397
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I’m surprised this is even an article considering they wouldn’t trade him to us, picked up his option, as well as trying to renegotiate with him.
    Sour grapes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •