Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pulling for Ryan Shazier

I hope he fulfills his dream to get back on the field of play again, but if nothing else, I hope he stays in the league in some capacity. Knowing The Steelers, they will make it happen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...t-pitt-pro-day

Ryan Shazier....More Good News

In what has been a real mess in Pittsburgh, The Steelers can at least feel really good about a few stories, one being that of Ryan Shazier. He keeps progressing, and it has been announced that he will remain on contract for the '19 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...to-2019-season

Just a couple of paragraphs from the article....

By tolling Shazier, the Steelers will pay him for the season, enable him to receive his regular medical insurance and count the season toward his players' pension.

It's also another uplifting note for the Steelers, as Shazier's heartwarming story, along with emerging running back James Conner, a cancer survivor, often had their positive narratives overshadowed by the drama of the topsy-turvy 2018 Steelers' travails concerning Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell and Ben Roethlisberger.

I am very happy for the guy. I hope he returns to play someday, but if not, he is definitely an inspiration and positive light for so many!

And with all the Steelers bashing these day... it shows that at the core. They are a class organization,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    And with all the Steelers bashing these day... it shows that at the core. They are a class organization,
    I kind of expect organizations to look out for their guys, which Pittsburgh did, so I give them kudos. The essence of this thread is about the strength, courage and inspiration of one young man, who could have felt cheated, but looked the other way.

And good on James Connor as well, for his winning effort!

Iím sorry but I hope Shazier never plays in the NFL again, for his safety and the rest of the NFL. He routinely dropped his head and speared players with the crown of the helmet, this was bound to happen at some point. The head to head against Gio Bernard was probably the worst Iíve seen since Harrison on Cribbs.

OK.....no much sympathy here for Shazier. I sympathize.

Its a shame that he got injured but I don't have much excitement for someone who is getting paid another year a good chunk of change for not playing and just doing some rehab...... and getting all the benefits of free health care.

Working people like me have to get up every morning and do our time.

I'm not complaining, I have a pretty good life, but I can't get emotional for someone getting a lot of money for doing absolutely nothing. Talk about having an easy life handed to you on a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Its a shame that he got injured but I don't have much excitement for someone who is getting paid another year a good chunk of change for not playing and just doing some rehab...... and getting all the benefits of free health care.

Working people like me have to get up every morning and do our time.

I'm not complaining, I have a pretty good life, but I can't get emotional for someone getting a lot of money for doing absolutely nothing. Talk about having an easy life handed to you on a plate.

Wouldn’t it be nice if every company did that for employees? It’s nice a person is recovering well... but there are millions of stories like this that we don’t hear about because not everyone got hurt on TV,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Wouldn’t it be nice if every company did that for employees? It’s nice a person is recovering well... but there are millions of stories like this that we don’t hear about because not everyone got hurt on TV,
    Yea its not the norm for normal people.

I just think 'good for him', I don't begrudge him getting all these benefits because I would do the same in his position, people in sports enjoy a ton of benefits and security that the vast majority don't.

While I don't begrudge him I don't get people jumping up and down with excitement and making it out to be some feel good story that someone is getting paid a ton of money for doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Iím sorry but I hope Shazier never plays in the NFL again, for his safety and the rest of the NFL. He routinely dropped his head and speared players with the crown of the helmet, this was bound to happen at some point. The head to head against Gio Bernard was probably the worst Iíve seen since Harrison on Cribbs.
    Totally agree. It was like a rite of passage to be a Steeler. He was absolutely reckless with how he constantly lowered his head. That whole division was pretty bad, but they were by far the worse. IMHO, the league didnít do enough to force the AFCN to change. They cracked down on teams like OAK, Philly, SF, any Jeff Fisher team, etc...... but Pitt was championed as just being ďtoughĒ. Dirty, is what they really were.

Tough crowd....and for the record, I think he's serving a role for The Steelers. I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. I think that had they kicked him out on his own, that would be the story that folks would long remember...for the wrong reasons.

Whatever....I think it was the right thing to do, and I believe he is providing, if nothing else, PR related duties...which are as common job in many, many organizations. PR includes various facets, including motivational aspects. I admit, I do not know the details of his role, but I am pretty sure I have captured some of it above.

And yes, I am glad he is recovering. That would be true for most folks who have suffered serious injury.

Let me ask....had a Bronco got injured the same way, would you think it right to look out for him (per The Steelers), or let him go on his way?
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-24-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Tough crowd....and for the record, I think he's serving a role for The Steelers. I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. I think that had they kicked him out on his own, that would be the story that folks would long remember...for the wrong reasons.

Whatever....I think it was the right thing to do, and I believe he is providing, if nothing else, PR related duties...which are as common job in many, many organizations. PR includes various facets, including motivational aspects. I admit, I do not know the details of his role, but I am pretty sure I have captured some of it above.

And yes, I am glad he is recovering. That would be true for most folks who have suffered serious injury.

Let me ask....had a Bronco got injured the same way, would you think it right to look out for him (per The Steelers), or let him go on his way?
    I would feel the same whoever it was, I don't have anything against Shazier and good for him for still getting paid, I don't begrudge him taking this fortunate offer.

If it was the Broncos I would feel the same, I wouldn't be bothered either way because its not my money. All I care about for the Broncos is putting the best roster on the field every season to compete for a championship, thats why I watch sports. I don't care about the non-sports side of it....... the morals of different decisions, the sponsers, the stuff players do off the field with communities, etc........... I just care about winning.

Sport teams are not charities.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I would feel the same whoever it was, I don't have anything against Shazier and good for him for still getting paid, I don't begrudge him taking this fortunate offer.

If it was the Broncos I would feel the same, I wouldn't be bothered either way because its not my money. All I care about for the Broncos is putting the best roster on the field every season to compete for a championship, thats why I watch sports. I don't care about the non-sports side of it....... the morals of different decisions, the sponsers, the stuff players do off the field with communities, etc........... I just care about winning.

Sport teams are not charities.
    Fair enough....but I am sure you understand there is much more to running a sports team than is apparent on the field. And though it may appear like a soft hearted thing, it may not be charity to help one of your own back on their feet (literally), given the inspiration he provides to his team and community, not to mention the things he may be doing to assist the team. These are all factors in how you run an organization.

And the main reason I posted was to update a story that has a warm side to it....a player recovering, an organization in support.

Iím glad that the Steelers are honoring the contract and still paying him even if I wonder if they still would have honored it had Bell and Brown not put a microscope on how they structure their deals.

I donít have any ill will towards Shazier and Iím glad that he is defying the odds in his recovery. I just donít think he should be in the NFL with how he tackles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4JfqHDlps

The injury Shazier suffered could have easily been Bernard on this hit, it couldíve been even worse. When Shazier did get hurt he led with the crown of his helmet again, he just hit a lower portion of the body which had less give than Bernardís head in the above clip.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 03-24-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Fair enough....but I am sure you understand there is much more to running a sports team than is apparent on the field. And though it may appear like a soft hearted thing, it may not be charity to help one of your own back on their feet (literally), given the inspiration he provides to his team and community, not to mention the things he may be doing to assist the team. These are all factors in how you run an organization.

And the main reason I posted was to update a story that has a warm side to it....a player recovering, an organization in support.
    I'm not saying anything bad against the Steelers because they had to do this, otherwise it would have been a PR nightmare so I don't think they had much choice.

I guess my point is that we all know professional sport players are looked after far better then normal people and thats good news for Shazier and I don't begrudge him at all, but I struggle to feel warm-hearted or care about it when there are so many families struggling to get by and a football player gets paid a lot of money for not even playing and just showing his face in a few PR events.