Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 211
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Quote Originally Posted by 58 broncomaniac View Post
    Well if they both are doing their jobs right you should never hear their names ��
    "Phillip Lindsay just scored on a 50 yard TD run behind a great double team by Connor McGovern and Connor McGovern!"
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Im all for need if the it matches ability. These qbs are a definite need but they dont match the ability of a top 10 player. And DL will definitely be a need next season. The problem os if we are better we cant get that impact player on DL nor will kext years class have an Oliver level talent available for us. Grab him. Let wolfe or gostis move on next year. I never want to go back to the days of the Bronwncos
    But will Oliver be a DT at his weight? I would love to have him, but I believe we have greater needs.....and DT is a position that takes several years, IF he plays the position.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But will Oliver be a DT at his weight? I would love to have him, but I believe we have greater needs.....and DT is a position that takes several years, IF he plays the position.
    I beleive he can. Im of the mindset his playing weight will be in the 280s which is fine. Also his resume proves thst he can. PFF tracked all of his snaps and over 500 were from the 0 tech! Thats nuts to get that type of production out of a 280lb guy who is getting doubled almost every play

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    I beleive he can. Im of the mindset his playing weight will be in the 280s which is fine. Also his resume proves thst he can. PFF tracked all of his snaps and over 500 were from the 0 tech! Thats nuts to get that type of production out of a 280lb guy who is getting doubled almost every play
    Commanding a double isn't a prerequisite for a 0/1/2/3 tech in one gap defensive front. Ability to control a gap is, which is more a function of quickness and agility. Ed Oliver seems to have plenty of that.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    693
    As long as we aren't requiring Ed Oliver to be a primary run stopper he looks like a potential star in this league. Yes he got double teamed at Houston because they didn't have anyone else even close to that talented on their DL. He is one of the guys I would rather not see a division opponent take in this draft.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Commanding a double isn't a prerequisite for a 0/1/2/3 tech in one gap defensive front. Ability to control a gap is, which is more a function of quickness and agility. Ed Oliver seems to have plenty of that.
    I know this is an Ed Oliver thread but it is dying off and a thought popped into my head. Do you think Rashan Gary could do the same things that Ed Oliver could do from a DT position in the middle of the line? I was watching some video of him and reading critiques of him as well. The only red flag I'm seeing/hearing is that he doesn't have a good enough toolbox of pass rushing moves (or hand skill) to be an elite selection as a pass rushing EDGE guy. But at 6'5" and around 280 lbs coming into the draft could he be an impact DT-ish guy like I think Oliver could be at 6'2" and around 280 lbs?

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,497
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I know this is an Ed Oliver thread but it is dying off and a thought popped into my head. Do you think Rashan Gary could do the same things that Ed Oliver could do from a DT position in the middle of the line? I was watching some video of him and reading critiques of him as well. The only red flag I'm seeing/hearing is that he doesn't have a good enough toolbox of pass rushing moves (or hand skill) to be an elite selection as a pass rushing EDGE guy. But at 6'5" and around 280 lbs coming into the draft could he be an impact DT-ish guy like I think Oliver could be at 6'2" and around 280 lbs?
    Gary would be better off at 5 tech than the 3 tech where Oliver should play. Gary mught be a better fit than Oliver in a 3-4 due to his length but he also might not anchor as well. They offer the same things though, you just trade off some explosion for better length if you go with Gary over Oliver. Both are athletic freaks that are raw with their technique. With Kollar coaching the dline I’d be excited for either one of them.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,117
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Gary would be better off at 5 tech than the 3 tech where Oliver should play. Gary mught be a better fit than Oliver in a 3-4 due to his length but he also might not anchor as well. They offer the same things though, you just trade off some explosion for better length if you go with Gary over Oliver. Both are athletic freaks that are raw with their technique. With Kollar coaching the dline I’d be excited for either one of them.
    Oliver would have to play 5 tech for us.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Oliver would have to play 5 tech for us.
    He played 0/1/2/3 tech at Houston. If Fangio's D is one gap, Oliver could play those for Denver.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Oliver would have to play 5 tech for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    He played 0/1/2/3 tech at Houston. If Fangio's D is one gap, Oliver could play those for Denver.
    Sam has nailed it on the head. Yes we technically run a 3-4 buts an mainly as a 3-4 under, allowing the three down linemen and the chosen linebacker to play a 1 gap front. Also PFF has a great youtube video review of Olivers snap count by position. Its nuts how often he played the 0 tech. Over 500 snaps. And still has that production. MUG has a comprehensive 3 game breakdown on him over at the Mane. As for his lack of legnth being a hindrence, i disagree. 280 at 6'2' is definitely better for leverage at the point of attack. Now the naysayers will point out his lack of arm length, but they obviously have not seen his 1st step. Thats the thing with this guy, he doesnt allow you to get your hands on you, and if you do, his "low man wins everytime" method works. Its pretty disgusting on how often he beats a double team or knocks a center on his keister. Add in his snap by snap game plan on how hes going to beat his man and his non stop motor and this guy WILL be a perennial pro bowler by year 2.

    As for need, gostis, wolfe are both FA next year. The rest are backups or unknowns. Dont let us fall back into the trap where Defensive line is an after thought.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Sam has nailed it on the head. Yes we technically run a 3-4 buts an mainly as a 3-4 under, allowing the three down linemen and the chosen linebacker to play a 1 gap front. Also PFF has a great youtube video review of Olivers snap count by position. Its nuts how often he played the 0 tech. Over 500 snaps. And still has that production. MUG has a comprehensive 3 game breakdown on him over at the Mane. As for his lack of legnth being a hindrence, i disagree. 280 at 6'2' is definitely better for leverage at the point of attack. Now the naysayers will point out his lack of arm length, but they obviously have not seen his 1st step. Thats the thing with this guy, he doesnt allow you to get your hands on you, and if you do, his "low man wins everytime" method works. Its pretty disgusting on how often he beats a double team or knocks a center on his keister. Add in his snap by snap game plan on how hes going to beat his man and his non stop motor and this guy WILL be a perennial pro bowler by year 2.

    As for need, gostis, wolfe are both FA next year. The rest are backups or unknowns. Dont let us fall back into the trap where Defensive line is an after thought.
    Besides being quick off the ball, Ed Oliver is very explosive with an explosion number of 78, I believe.

    http://www.milehighreport.com/2019/3...rr-work-as-nts
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Besides being quick off the ball, Ed Oliver is very explosive with an explosion number of 78, I believe.

    http://www.milehighreport.com/2019/3...rr-work-as-nts
    Its nuts how hes not being talked about as a top 3 player. His pass rush ability is on par with bosas. Yet he does it from a spot thats harder to go from at DT. Athletically hes easily top 5 in this draft amd that includes all positions.

    "[You] can essentially play the under front with 3-4 personnel, but they must be guys who are capable of penetrating"

    Sound like someone we know?

    You want to maximize the horses we have on the outside in Miller and Chubb? You get a beast on the inside. This more than anything will free up our pass rush and lead our defense back to the top 3 unit it is capable of being. OLIVER!!!
    Last edited by Alaskajoe; 04-13-2019 at 04:20 PM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    18,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Its nuts how hes not being talked about as a top 3 player. His pass rush ability is on par with bosas. Yet he does it from a spot thats harder to go from at DT. Athletically hes easily top 5 in this draft amd that includes all positions.

    "[You] can essentially play the under front with 3-4 personnel, but they must be guys who are capable of penetrating"

    Sound like someone we know?

    You want to maximize the horses we have on the outside in Miller and Chubb? You get a beast on the inside. This more than anything will free up our pass rush and lead our defense back to the top 3 unit it is capable of being. OLIVER!!!

    Exactly how I feel...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,497
    The random source that said Oliver wasn’t 6’ tall and wasn’t even 280 killed a lot of his hype early on and then PFF has been trashing him all season and from listening to them it sounds like they’ve never watched any tape on him.

    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he got drafted before Quinnen Williams. I think most NFL teams are still very high on him and his ability to knife through gaps and wreck the pocket.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The random source that said Oliver wasn’t 6’ tall and wasn’t even 280 killed a lot of his hype early on and then PFF has been trashing him all season and from listening to them it sounds like they’ve never watched any tape on him.

    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he got drafted before Quinnen Williams. I think most NFL teams are still very high on him and his ability to knife through gaps and wreck the pocket.

    I agree that the size slams at the beginning of the offseason was obvious attempts to lower his stock.
    PFF finally came around begrudgingly. They finally posted the aforementioned video regarding his snap count by position and admitted the disproportionate amount of zero tech and double teams he had compared to the rest of the "pass rush" DTs. Even with this info i think they are still down on his size. He almost never gets ran out of the play. Always has a nose for the ball and even if the play is ran away from, will chase down a ball carrier 30 yards down field to stop a td from happening in a meaningless game. This guy gives it his all. He will have a plan of attack for every snap on how to wreck the offenses game plan. With a defensive genius as fangio, there will be exotic mixes, line ups, stunts and blitzes with our trio. Mix in Kerr and Shelby and Wolfe....our front 7 will make sure every play starts a yard behind the LOS. You plant a beast such as Oliver in Mahomes, Rivers and Carrs laps play in and play out and eventually Von and Bradley will feast. I truly believe that a presence such as his, is what puts Von over the top to break the sack record. Also with us playing a more zone secondary, our turnover rate will skyrocket.
    Last edited by Alaskajoe; 04-13-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •