Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Exactly how I feel...
    the fact that williams and oliver are teh same draft class isn't fair. they both are more talented then alot of D-linemen playing in the nfl atm.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

I have a 5 man BIG board of player I think might be available to us; Oliver is #1.

1 - Oliver
    2 - Haskins
    3 - Bush
    4 - White
    5 - Hockenson

As long as 1 of those 5 are in orange and blue, it's a WIN.

Kind of a no brainer....... If he's there you absolutely take him.
    GO BRONCO'S !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrendal View Post
    Kind of a no brainer....... If he's there you absolutely take him.
    I really don't see why people are so high on Oliver for our defense. He doesn't seem to have the length to play a 5 technique and is too small to play a 0 in Fangio's scheme. I could see him doing very well at a 3 technique but that isn't what fangio currently runs so unless Fangio changes his scheme, where does Oliver fit?

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I really don't see why people are so high on Oliver for our defense. He doesn't seem to have the length to play a 5 technique and is too small to play a 0 in Fangio's scheme. I could see him doing very well at a 3 technique but that isn't what fangio currently runs so unless Fangio changes his scheme, where does Oliver fit?
    The combine web site has him listed at 6'2" and 287 pounds and he was born on 12/12/97. If necessary I think Oliver could get to 300 pounds without losing effectiveness. Fangio has stated that he doesn't see guys as DE/DT/NT. He just puts a line together based on what he thinks will work for what he wants to do. I think he'd be fine, and I think he'd develop into a three down D-Lineman in the middle for us.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    The combine web site has him listed at 6'2" and 287 pounds and he was born on 12/12/97. If necessary I think Oliver could get to 300 pounds without losing effectiveness. Fangio has stated that he doesn't see guys as DE/DT/NT. He just puts a line together based on what he thinks will work for what he wants to do. I think he'd be fine, and I think he'd develop into a three down D-Lineman in the middle for us.
    Fangio has consistently run with big bodies inside. 320, 330 and 6-7 294 for the Bears last season. He has had Mitch Unrein and Josh Bullard in there at DE as well who are 6-3, 300 or soo. His NT often lines up at a 0 technique. Maybe at DE, I don't see him able to play NT on a regular basis. I think a lot of people would expect him to come in and play like Aaron Donald but I don't think that is what would happen.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 04-15-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Fangio has consistently run with big bodies inside. 320, 330 and 6-7 294 for the Bears last season. He has had Mitch Unrein and Josh Bullard in there at DE as well who are 6-3, 300 or soo. His NT often lines up at a 0 technique. Maybe at DE, I don't see him able to play NT on a regular basis. I think a lot of people would expect him to come in and play like Aaron Donald but I don't think that is what would happen.
    Yes, Oliver is a "Tweener" who will likely be at DE where we already have Kerr, Wolfe, Gotsis and Walker. Only Aaron Donald can play like Aaron Donald. Oliver looked good at Houston (I live 5 hours away, which is right next door in Texas), and he has been very impressive for a couple of years. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Yes, Oliver is a "Tweener" who will likely be at DE where we already have Kerr, Wolfe, Gotsis and Walker. Only Aaron Donald can play like Aaron Donald. Oliver looked good at Houston (I live 5 hours away, which is right next door in Texas), and he has been very impressive for a couple of years. Should be interesting.
    I agree, there is only one Aaron Donald and it’s unfair for anyone to compare Ed Oliver to him.

However Ed Oliver is still going to be a force in this league and very well worth the number 10 pick.

People saying “he still ain’t Donald”.
    Reminds me of Hidalgo in almost hero’s.

So Oliver isn’t Aaron Donald but so what because nobody is going to live up to Aaron Donald status anyway, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be drafted.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-15-2019 at 10:24 PM.

One gap run defense can be played from even numbered techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    One gap run defense can be played from even numbered techniques.
    Is that what Oliver is good at?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I agree, there is only one Aaron Donald and it’s unfair for anyone to compare Ed Oliver to him.

However Ed Oliver is still going to be a force in this league and very well worth the number 10 pick.

People saying “he still ain’t Donald”.
    Reminds me of Hidalgo in almost hero’s.

So Oliver isn’t Aaron Donald but so what because nobody is going to live up to Aaron Donald status anyway, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be drafted.
    Do you think he fits every defensive scheme? I think Dexter Lawrence would have a bigger impact in our defense than Oliver would.

Funny y’all are saying Ed Oliver is no Aaron Donald and espn has an article today asking if he is the next Aaron Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Funny y’all are saying Ed Oliver is no Aaron Donald and espn has an article today asking if he is the next Aaron Donald.
    Maybe not fair to label him Aaron Donald but he could be really, really good. It would be nice if someone in our division doesn't get him unless it is us.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Maybe not fair to label him Aaron Donald but he could be really, really good. It would be nice if someone in our division doesn't get him unless it is us.
    It’s absolutely not fair to compare him to anybody but himself. But my point was it’s also not fair to assume he couldn’t be. It’s not an uncommon thought apparently.

And even if we got a 75% Aaron Donald that’s probably worth pick 10.

Is that what Oliver is good at?
    He's a one gap D-Lineman. He is very quick, strong and explosive which is what you want in an interior D-Lineman playing in one gap run D. He played 0/1/2/3 tech at Houston.

Some DCs using one gap run D, align their D-Linemen in odd numbered techniques. When you do that, the O-Line knows that's his gap and they can adjust their blocking rules to account for it. When a defender is lined up in a gap, you can't expect him to defend another one.

Some DCs using one gap run D align their D-Linemen in even numbered techniques. The defensive call tells them which gap is theirs. 3-3-5 defense often shows a 33 Stack look with DL in 4-0-4. You can chalk up how many possible combinations there are to defend the A/B/C gaps. Give each possibility a name and that will be in the call. That makes the O-Line's job harder because they won't know which gap is being played by each defender from one play to the next. Blocking assignments are less predictable.

It is true that most odd front defenses play two gap run D, and that most split front defenses play one gap. But it isn't true that a defender lined up in an even numbered technique must play two gap.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus