Idea for Rules Changes

Field goals 50 yards or longer should be worth 4 points. That would change the strategy with all of those 4-point scores, especially near the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixshow View Post
    Field goals 50 yards or longer should be worth 4 points. That would change the strategy with all of those 4-point scores, especially near the end of the game.
    Welcome to the MB!

This will be moved to a different forum.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Rixshow View Post
    I actually was thinking of this a few years back & while i think it's a good idea, 50 yards is too short of a kick to make it worth that extra point because kickers today can drill 50 yards easily & even up to 55.

so to make this a worth while change i feel it should be any kick of 60 yards or longer would be worth 4 points...because then it is truly a risk vs. reward scenario where you make it & obviously you get 4 points, however if you miss then you are giving up the ball at the 50 & that is a big risk.

not sure the number but i would guess less than 10 kicks ever have been made over 60 & it's rarely ever even attempted unless it's end of half or end of game situation, making it worth 4 points would entice teams to attempt it more often.

Welcome Rixshow!

As for your idea.....well, I am not big on giving more points on kicking attempts. For me, a team who is closer to the goal line has earned the points they get, whereas long field goals are fun to watch, but do not reward good O.

I know, it would add some excitement late in games, but again, I prefer O vs TOE.