Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Honestly I prefer we stay out of the "drafting a QB business". Just acquire them in FA to via trade. Use the draft for the rest of the team. None of these guys excite me as first round picks. Especially Haskins. If Urban was there another year and he stayed, would he even be the starter? That's the nonsense of Urban's consistently underdeveloped QB's that enter the league year after year.
    #swapping

Haskins seems to be a solid prospect. but he will need to be developed.

Although sitting him a couple years behind Flacco might seem like a good plan I just don't see the Broncos /Elway doing it.

Broncos are in a win now mode for the next couple years. That would mean the #10 pick will go to a player with the assumption he contributes this year. Not a developmental QB.

Elway has three more years on his contract. HC Fangio is 60 years old. Even Miller only has a couple more years on his contract. Timeline is now, not to rebuild with a young QB. That will be for the next GM and HC's problem to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Haskins seems to be a solid prospect. but he will need to be developed.

Although sitting him a couple years behind Flacco might seem like a good plan I just don't see the Broncos /Elway doing it.

Broncos are in a win now mode for the next couple years. That would mean the #10 pick will go to a player with the assumption he contributes this year. Not a developmental QB.

Elway has three more years on his contract. HC Fangio is 60 years old. Even Miller only has a couple more years on his contract. Timeline is now, not to rebuild with a young QB. That will be for the next GM and HC's problem to deal with.
    Well said I agree. Elway doesnít have large window he needs players that will contribute day 1 not projects.

I'm warming to Haskins....but only if Lock is gone.......This would be my choice now, but only if the choice before is gone :
    Lock
    Haskins
    Hockensin
    Bush
    Oliver
    Trade back----no trade ups !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Honestly I prefer we stay out of the "drafting a QB business". Just acquire them in FA to via trade.
    Good strategy if you want to be a team that's consistently terrible to below average with maybe an odd playoff year or two every once in a while.

Gotta draft and develop a young QB to have long term, that's the tried and true proven method of being a consistent contender. Sure, other methods may get you some good years but not for long and not consistently.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Haskins is still there at 10.

He has all the mental and physical tools. If he can build and grow from his lone, record-setting season at Ohio State, he has the potential to be a Top 10 QB in the NFL for the next 15-20 years. He has plenty of arm and touch. His ball placement and accuracy is consistent and good. The only major weakness he showed was his ability to be accurate under pressure. His pocket awareness and comfort under duress will progress with the right tutelage. The work that Rich Scangarello did with Nick Mullens gives me confidence that he could mold Haskins, a blue-chip prospect, into a Pro Bowler and lead the Denver Broncos as a franchise quarterback.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS

Everyone talks about upside with Drew Lock. But Lock barely put together the consistency that an NFL QB needs to perform at... in his 3 full seasons of starting.

Haskins showed more consistency and football IQ in his only season as a starter than Lock was able to show in 3 years.

A cannon-arm is flashy and nice, sure... but as we've seen in the past 3-4 years, our offense desperately needs a signal-caller that can make good decisions and maximize our offensive talent every drive. This requires someone that can deliver the ball accurately and quickly. Someone that was given the leeway to make pre-snap reads and adjustments.

I see flashes of these attributes from Lock. If he can put it all together, he could be very dangerous.. perhaps a Mahomes-lite, dare I say. But his relevant comparisons at the moment grade out similarly to Jay Cutler, Paxton Lynch, and Josh Allen more than anybody else.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS

I like Haskins more than Lock. If both were available and Denver wanted to draft a QB, I'd rather have Haskins.

No way heís there at 10. Just because the Giants and Jags arenít gonna take him doesnít mean some team wonít trade up to get him. Either way, of him or Lock are available at 10 you take them, but donít trade up. I just want us to come out of this draft with a future at QB and a stud ILB. Is that too much to ask?

Will not hesitate to take Haskins. Showed a lot of progress as the season progressed. Like his decision making. Still a work in progress in terms of mechanics. Will only get better with NFL coaching. We have to win now but also plan for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    What similarities does Lock share with Osweiler or Lynch? There really is nothing meaningful between the three of them. All you can get really is their skin tone and their heights all being above 6'3". Beyond that.. they're not at all similar.

As for your pro-style offense comment, you must be confused. Haskins absolutely did not play in a pro-style offense. They ran the same spread-option that they have always ran under Urban Meyer[1]. Lock, however, did have pro-style concepts. It was still shotgun-based, but Mizzou switched over offenses(again) from Heupel's air raid system to Dooley's combination system, featuring elements from both pro-style and collegiate, in order to better prepare Lock for the NFL[2][3].

[1] https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...jazgph9TuGHnN/

[2]https://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...a5e1e70d4.html

[3]https://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...206064769.html
    With Lock, I'm not talking about all the characteristics, stats, or game play... I'm saying I think he will be the same level of talent at the Pro level. I don't see him being any better than the other two.

Ohio St. adjusted their run heavy spread-option offense for Haskins. It was a lot more pro style, even with spread, than the past offenses Meyer installed. Hence why the led the division in Passing for the first time.

I would take Haskins over Lock. I think someone will, I just hope that is an option for us. Haskins is the best QB prospect Urban Meyer has has since Alex Smith. He is very accurate and appeared to read defenses much better from a passing perspective than any Ohio State QB I have seen this century.

There is a reason Ohio St. QBs keep getting drafted and there is a reason most flip. The system is Qb friendly and the talent playing around you vs against you is favorable most of the season. I'll pass and take Lock first any day

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    There is a reason Ohio St. QBs keep getting drafted and there is a reason most flip. The system is Qb friendly and the talent playing around you vs against you is favorable most of the season. I'll pass and take Lock first any day
    As do Missouri QBs. Everyone one has their preference at QB. Iíll take Haskins any Sunday over Lock. Most mocks if not every had Haskins over Lock. I wonder why.

This is a pretty good video about Haskins: