Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    There is reason to believe Denver's 2019 offense will have the QB under Center about half the snaps.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news/wh...-a-quarterback

One reasonable question to ask about any of the prospective QBs in the draft pool is have they played under Center? If not, then Denver's scouts and coaches would need to have an idea of how well they might make that change. Taking the snap from under Center has a lot more moving parts and is very different than direct snap/gun and isn't an easy change especially at the pro level. Denver can be expected to have a balanced offense, and taking the ball from under Center then taking the steps to the meshpoint and making a handoff/fake is a big deal for a guy not used to doing it regularly.

I don't think Urban Meyer has his QBs take the snap from under Center. It's just not the way his version of the Spread Option works. Speaking of which, the reads in his offense are very simple compared to more pro style offenses. His 2018 offense was more balanced than in previous years, so that is a somewhat mitigating factor for Dwayne Haskins.

Spread Option is the dominant offense in major college football, so most QB prospects will have played in a direct snap/shotgun offense whose rushing attack is Option, and whose passing attack is based on minimal reads due to the pressure on the defense of defending Option. No wonder scouting college QBs is so difficult.
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-29-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Considering his accuracy numbers went up each year...

Maybe if he had blue chips catching his passes like QBs at Ohio St, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia, his numbers would have been better?
    More excuses.....said the same thing about lamar yall wasn't hearing it. Yeah he mad leaps and bounds with his accuracy over his career.

Haskins is the only QB I would be happy with Denver taking at #10. I'm not big on Lock or Jones. And, obviously, I expect Murray to go at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by duhyaj View Post
    This may just be my hatred for that school but has there ever been an NFL Starting QB from there that was good enough to be a QB for more than a season or two?
    Hatred for the Buckeyes usually goes hand in hand with jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post
    Haskins is the only QB I would be happy with Denver taking at #10. I'm not big on Lock or Jones. And, obviously, I expect Murray to go at #1.
    Same here. I'd be more excited about getting Haskins at #10 than Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Hatred for the Buckeyes usually goes hand in hand with jealousy.
    Or dislike for their annoying fans.

I know Haskins is only a one year starter, but, in that one year, he was outstanding overall. Yes, he needs some refining, but, of all the QB's in this draft, I like his projection to the NFL the best.
    One factor that I considered is that playing at Ohio State, where you are under immense pressure to win and compete for a championship every year, not to mention, his head coach was suspended for the first three games, he handled the situation extremely well and had a phenomenal season. He wasn't perfect, by any means, but he had a great season and no moment appeared to be too much for him to handle, considering the expectations, and, not to mention, he and the Buckeyes offense carried that team, as their defense was underwhelming last year, especially, after Nick Boss was injured and left the team.
    Last edited by sra84; 03-31-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Misspelled word.

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post
    I know Haskins is only a one year starter, but, in that one year, he was outstanding overall. Yes, he needs some refining, but, of all the QB's in this draft, I like his projection to the NFL the best.
    One factor that I considered is that playing at Ohio State, where you are under immense pressure to win and compete for a championship every year, not to mention, his head coach was suspended for the first three games, he handled the situation extremely well and had a phenomenal season. He wasn't perfect, by any means, but he had a great season and no moment appeared to be too much for him to handle, considering the expectations, and, not to mention, he and the Buckeyes offense carried that team, as their defense was underwhelming last year, especially, after Nick Boss was injured and left the team.
    Bill Parcels was a pretty darn good talent evaluator and his rule of thumb was no less than 3 years of college starting experience or he wasn't touching you....regardless of breakout 1 year performances. Today's game is different with all the new rules but I believe there is real value in kids who have more experience. I like Haskins and Murray both but I fear it will take them both longer to get acclimated to the next level compared to Lock or Jones.....imo.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    There is reason to believe Denver's 2019 offense will have the QB under Center about half the snaps.

One reasonable question to ask about any of the prospective QBs in the draft pool is have they played under Center? If not, then Denver's scouts and coaches would need to have an idea of how well they might make that change. Taking the snap from under Center has a lot more moving parts and is very different than direct snap/gun and isn't an easy change especially at the pro level. Denver can be expected to have a balanced offense, and taking the ball from under Center then taking the steps to the meshpoint and making a handoff/fake is a big deal for a guy not used to doing it regularly.

I don't think Urban Meyer has his QBs take the snap from under Center. It's just not the way his version of the Spread Option works. Speaking of which, the reads in his offense are very simple compared to more pro style offenses. His 2018 offense was more balanced than in previous years, so that is a somewhat mitigating factor for Dwayne Haskins.

Spread Option is the dominant offense in major college football, so most QB prospects will have played in a direct snap/shotgun offense whose rushing attack is Option, and whose passing attack is based on minimal reads due to the pressure on the defense of defending Option. No wonder scouting college QBs is so difficult.
    Sam, have you read any articles pertaining to how the Buckeyes altered their offense for Haskins?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Sam, have you read any articles pertaining to how the Buckeyes altered their offense for Haskins?
    I haven't. Do you have a link to one?

Ryan Day rgw co-oc new Hc at Ohio state is a QB guy. he has had 2 stops in the nfl and is a known quanitity for developing QBs. so i am not sure that statement will be true. i also think ohio state may be on the upswing for developing QBs. expecially with a impressive kid like Justin Fields moving in next season. he has all the tools was the number 1 QB over lawerence on some boards. his upside is crazy.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Itís been a while my friend so I canít remember the site. They made it much more passing oriented and removed a lot of the run option. Haskins only ran about 5 times a game.
    Iím assuming he was still in the shotgun 100% of the time.

This doesnít go into much detail but it does suggest its more ďpro styleĒ

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/09/f...wayne-haskins/

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    This doesn’t go into much detail but it does suggest its more “pro style”

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/09/f...wayne-haskins/
    Good read. So, Haskins didn't run much Double Option where he kept. Sounds like they chalked it up where it was give/pitch, or pitch/give before keep. Haskins was more of a pocket passer in a balanced offense. What I don't know is if Meyer had Haskins under center at all. I'm inclined to doubt that he did, which would be a big question for Haskins playing pro football. "Pro Style" means different things to different people. To me, it's a lot of 21 personnel with QB under Center about half the time.

Good read. So, Haskins didn't run much Double Option where he kept. Sounds like they chalked it up where it was give/pitch, or pitch/give before keep. Haskins was more of a pocket passer in a balanced offense. What I don't know is if Meyer had Haskins under center at all. I'm inclined to doubt that he did, which would be a big question for Haskins playing pro football. "Pro Style" means different things to different people. To me, it's a lot of 21 personnel with QB under Center about half the time.
    He seems to have a high football iq. I think heíd be ok.