Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Joeís pocket presence is definitely not on par with Brady, Brees or Rodgers. He can sense pressure, but he sometimes holds onto the ball like Roethlisberger and Rodgers do. But he doesnít move as well as they do.

He does excel against the blitz. Like those guys, if he has weapons, he can kill the blitz. The best way Iíve seen teams defend him is to drop eight, flood zones and play with his patience. Guys like him and Roethlisberger donít have the patience of a Brady or Brees. They want to throw haymakers. So, if you make them take bits and pieces long enough and the pressure is getting home or guys arenít getting open, in Benís case heíll just do something stupid. Something he knows he has no business doing. Flacco, by comparison, will get fooled at times.

In Denver, Iíd say if they can add one more Guard, with Munchak coaching the line, theyíll be able to run the ball enough that teams wonít be able to get away with that too often.

Joe kind of comes off as that guy whose clock you just need to wake up with tempo. It just gets his juices going. He goes through his reads better. He moves better. He gets that control at the LOS and he just gets into a better rhythm. Sometimes, if you slow the offense too much, he slows. If that makes any sense.

Still a damn sight better than Keenum. I know that much.

To what Melemele said, Iíd say the defense has still been strong, compared to the rest of the league. However, when Dean Pees was the Defensive Coordinator, after Reed and Lewis left, 2013-2017, the defense definitely wasnít clutch. Put it this way, even with the offensive issues, Flacco stepped up in big games and if the defense did what any other fans would expect a Ravens defense to do late in the game, they would have made the playoffs in 16í and 17í. And probably would have beat New England in 14í.

Joeís pump fake is more subtle and he doesnít use it as much as Ben does. Pocket presence isnít bad, but not up there with those guys. Heíll give you a WTF moment here and there. I can admit that.

Welcome to the board!

Hope you stick around. Your ability to assess the roster and give insights into upcoming games will be a great addition.

As you may have noticed we have a strong Captain Buzzkill brigade on the board. They work hard to stamp out any optimism for the upcoming season. I'd like to say their efforts are appreciated...but no...I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Welcome to the board!

Hope you stick around. Your ability to assess the roster and give insights into upcoming games will be a great addition.

As you may have noticed we have a strong Captain Buzzkill brigade on the board. They work hard to stamp out any optimism for the upcoming season. I'd like to say their efforts are appreciated...but no...I can't.
    I canít throw stones. We have one at russellstreetreport and Iíve been a part of it for years over frustrations with John Harbaugh and the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As far as I can tell, teammates had a great deal of respect for Flacco, with regard to how he handled the change at QB. He treated Lamar well, didnít put up a stink and helped him out as much as he could. The organization made it clear that Flacco would have a say in where they traded him to, out of appreciation. The feelings seem to be mixed. Guys like Suggs and Yanda liked Flacco and wanted to see him stay in. Yanda never outright said it. Suggs diplomatically did. The WRs werenít happy with the switch, but I donít think it was due to Lamar. I think everyone liked Lamar and also had respect for how he handled it. Both he and Flacco handled it like pros. I think itís the offense they ran. Crabtree and Snead got into with coaches on the sideline at one point and had to come out after the game and minimize it, showing support to the direction.

Jackson had quite a few supporters on the team and I donít think they would have made the move if the vast majority of the team werenít on board with it. Jimmy Smith, in particular, took exception to fans booing during the playoff game, even going over to them and telling them that Lamar got them there and to not turn their backs on him.

Generally, again, they werenít booing Lamar so much as it was: We need to throw to win this game, so either let Lamar throw or bring in someone who can. But donít have Lamar out there and not let him throw until itís too late.

While the decision was understood, there was also a sentiment that the playoff game was treated like an experience game for Lamar, which didnít go over well with the fans. Former Maryland Terps Head Coach Gary Williams even told a story that in Steve Bisciottiís Ownerís box, Ray Lewis and other former Ravens were telling him that he needed to go to Flacco.

Now, to be fair, there was a strong contingent of the fan base who felt that if they hadnít made the switch then they never would have made the playoffs. Partly, because making the switch gave the offense a clear identity, which was something it lacked for years.

The organization is all in on Lamar. The fans are nervous. Some feel it was time. Some feel that it wouldnít have got to this point if the Ravens didnít neglect the offense for years. I think with Flacco, fans saw the other issues with the offense, but after a while they got tired of going for reasons and it just became easy to blame the QB who got paid.

Drew Brees got paid. Has he ever gone into a season in New Orleans with Smith, Brown and Doss (2013) as his top three WRs? Or Maclin, Wallace and Perriman (2017)? Rodger got paid. Has he ever went into a season with a trio like that? Roethlisberger got paid. Has he ever went into a season with a trio like that?

Now, fans are starting to pay more attention to the myriad of other issues with this offense, since you canít blame Flacco anymore.
    I know this is a Flacco thread, but just curious what you think of Lamar Jackson. I know several posters on this board really wanted him last year.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I know this is a Flacco thread, but just curious what you think of Lamar Jackson. I know several posters on this board really wanted him last year.
    Lamar belongs on a sandlot. He will not be capable of running a NFL caliber offense. He is prone to fumbling. He can't throw worth a darn. His completion percentage will be at the bottom of the charts. He is a fantastic athlete who is quick and fast. I doubt that he makes it through a full season without a season ending injury. San Diego (in their second game) showed the league how to shut down Lamar. Play 8 or 9 in the box, keep your eyes on the ball and don't bite on the fakes, and press on the receivers and dare Lamar to throw the ball to beat you.

When you consider that the Ravens don't have anyone other than the tight ends who can catch the ball, that's a pretty good bet. The Ravens will be last in the AFC North and they will be lucky to win 4 games.

Other than that the decision to get rid of Flacco and draft Lamar was pure genius!

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    When I watched Lamar at Louisville and last season, here is what I saw: A QB with more of a traditional pocket passer style, whose been taken out of that element, because coaches fall in love with his absurd athleticism. Heís not comfortable throwing on the run. Heís not a one read and go QB. He looks to stay in the pocket and go through his reads. However, I think Petrino fell in love with his legs and did his passing development a disservice.

His current off-season Trainer has criticized Louisville, for being responsible for the narrow base he throws with. He didnít come to Louisville with that base. It was much wider and proper. However, Petrino lacked weapons and was more concerned with maximizing Lamarís athleticism, than developing him as a passer. So, they developed the narrower base which is better for him being on the move and giving the idea of that threat at any moment.

Baltimore tried to fix that, but still emphasize his legs at the same time. Which, I donít think will work. My issue with Lamar isnít about him. Heís a fast learner and can go through his reads. He just needs an English tutor. So, some people take that to mean heís dumb. It just means he doesnít speak well. His issues are mechanical, but I think his athleticism has become an enemy of his, because as long as he has it, teams wonít focus on making him the traditional pocket passer he is in nature. I donít think Harbaugh and Roman will get it right.

Now, I DO want to suspend his social media privileges. Between the speeding video and endorsing the signing of Tyreek Hill.

When I watched Lamar at Louisville and last season, here is what I saw: A QB with more of a traditional pocket passer style, whose been taken out of that element, because coaches fall in love with his absurd athleticism. He’s not comfortable throwing on the run. He’s not a one read and go QB. He looks to stay in the pocket and go through his reads. However, I think Petrino fell in love with his legs and did his passing development a disservice.

His current off-season Trainer has criticized Louisville, for being responsible for the narrow base he throws with. He didn’t come to Louisville with that base. It was much wider and proper. However, Petrino lacked weapons and was more concerned with maximizing Lamar’s athleticism, than developing him as a passer. So, they developed the narrower base which is better for him being on the move and giving the idea of that threat at any moment.

Baltimore tried to fix that, but still emphasize his legs at the same time. Which, I don’t think will work. My issue with Lamar isn’t about him. He’s a fast learner and can go through his reads. He just needs an English tutor. So, some people take that to mean he’s dumb. It just means he doesn’t speak well. His issues are mechanical, but I think his athleticism has become an enemy of his, because as long as he has it, teams won’t focus on making him the traditional pocket passer he is in nature. I don’t think Harbaugh and Roman will get it right.

Now, I DO want to suspend his social media privileges. Between the speeding video and endorsing the signing of Tyreek Hill.
    Wow...great analysis.

Now I want to hear your breakdown of Lock, Haskins, and Murray ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Wow...great analysis.

Now I want to hear your breakdown of Lock, Haskins, and Murray ^_^
    That would be for other existing threads.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

When I watched Lamar at Louisville and last season, here is what I saw: A QB with more of a traditional pocket passer style, whose been taken out of that element, because coaches fall in love with his absurd athleticism. Heís not comfortable throwing on the run. Heís not a one read and go QB. He looks to stay in the pocket and go through his reads. However, I think Petrino fell in love with his legs and did his passing development a disservice.

His current off-season Trainer has criticized Louisville, for being responsible for the narrow base he throws with. He didnít come to Louisville with that base. It was much wider and proper. However, Petrino lacked weapons and was more concerned with maximizing Lamarís athleticism, than developing him as a passer. So, they developed the narrower base which is better for him being on the move and giving the idea of that threat at any moment.

Baltimore tried to fix that, but still emphasize his legs at the same time. Which, I donít think will work. My issue with Lamar isnít about him. Heís a fast learner and can go through his reads. He just needs an English tutor. So, some people take that to mean heís dumb. It just means he doesnít speak well. His issues are mechanical, but I think his athleticism has become an enemy of his, because as long as he has it, teams wonít focus on making him the traditional pocket passer he is in nature. I donít think Harbaugh and Roman will get it right.

As someone who wanted us to draft Jackson badly last season I wholeheartedly agree with this take. If Jackson can get a coaching staff behind him thatís willing to improve his mechanics and not just run him into the ground he will be very good. Harbaugh waited too long to open up the passing attack with jackson in the playoffs and it cost them. Even then Jackson still made it interesting at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    As someone who wanted us to draft Jackson badly last season I wholeheartedly agree with this take. If Jackson can get a coaching staff behind him thatís willing to improve his mechanics and not just run him into the ground he will be very good. Harbaugh waited too long to open up the passing attack with jackson in the playoffs and it cost them. Even then Jackson still made it interesting at the end.
    It was interesting because the DBís were in prevent.
    Jackson has a long way to go before teams will respect his passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It was interesting because the DBís were in prevent.
    Jackson has a long way to go before teams will respect his passing game.
    The Ravens have to do a better job of bringing him along. Letting him throw 5 times a quarter like they did in the playoffs wonít get them anywhere. After failing to do anything in the first half they should have let him start throwing whether the defense respects his arm or not.

Maybe we could stay on subjects relevant to Broncos and not the current QB of the Ravens, and whatever and why people think what they think about him.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    Maybe we could stay on subjects relevant to Broncos and not the current QB of the Ravens, and whatever and why people think what they think about him.
    The Ravens do not have a QUARTERBACK irrespective of what the Ravens think.