Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21
Results 301 to 310 of 310
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,937
    Wilkinson started the last seven games of 2018 at RG.

    O-Line coaches start their best five shuffled to their best spots. If one of the five can't go, they usually bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.

    In view of the fact that Wilkinson started at RG last year, I think they'd put him there if Leary can't go. Seems Schlottmann is number seven at the moment. If a T was needed during a game, a shuffle would probably happen.

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Youíve had some great points in the discussion. I disagree about Wilkinson. Iím not sure if you replayed every snap with Bolles and Wilkinson - Wilkinson was much better and it wasnít close.
    Wilkinson was beat by the speed rush a few times. I thought his punch looked weak especially for a guy his size. Iím also taking into account who he was playing against. I donít think Wilkinson stepping into the starting LT would go well, maybe the run blocking improves as Bolles regressed in that area last season but I donít think Wilkinson can hold up with the speed of these edge rushers and there are a lot of great ones in the league. Even in our division we have to deal with Frank Clark, Chris Jones (even though heís an interior guy), Bosa, and Ingram. Oakland doesnít have a lot but Ferrel/Hurst have a lot of potential and Key has a ton of speed. Then we face other guys like Garrett, Mack, Clowney, Watt, Griffen, Jones, Casey, Wake, Landry, Ngakoue, Campbell. Our oline is going to have their work cut out for them this season.

    Then again it could also be that he needs to get adjusted to playing on the left side. He looks better on the right side to me even if he still struggles with the speed rushers. His ability to get out in space at his size is very impressive and heís definitely someone that can take big leaps under Munchak.

    Edit: Went back and watched the highlights of the game and in that video Wilkinson gave up 2 pressures and a sack. First pressure was a DB blitz, Williams gave a terrible chip that probably hurt more than helped but Wilkinson either recognized it too late or thought the ball would get out quick because he wasnít in a hurry to get back far enough. 2nd pressure he got beat by speed to his outside shoulder, Hogan stepped up and bounced off the DT that destroyed the LG scrambled and took a sack. On the sack he took a strong punch and got pushed aside and the two edge rushers met at the QB. Run blocking was really good, only one bad play stood out and it wasnít that bad. One run got blown up because the LG couldnít take over the block despite Wilkinson hitting the guy and moving to the next level, that probably doesnít happen with a better LG but Wilkinson also missed the block on the LB when he got to the 2nd level. He did free up David Williams for the only good run we had outside of the Hogan TD.

    On another note, Chaz Green is terrible
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-22-2019 at 06:20 AM.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,219
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Wilkinson started the last seven games of 2018 at RG.

    O-Line coaches start their best five shuffled to their best spots. If one of the five can't go, they usually bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.

    In view of the fact that Wilkinson started at RG last year, I think they'd put him there if Leary can't go. Seems Schlottmann is number seven at the moment. If a T was needed during a game, a shuffle would probably happen.
    I heard Wilkenson was gettingba Lot of work at the RG position this week. I may not agree with playing our starters much this week but itíll be fun to see Wilkenson and Risner against Aaron Donald this week.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,209
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Wilkinson was beat by the speed rush a few times. I thought his punch looked weak especially for a guy his size. Iím also taking into account who he was playing against. I donít think Wilkinson stepping into the starting LT would go well, maybe the run blocking improves as Bolles regressed in that area last season but I donít think Wilkinson can hold up with the speed of these edge rushers and there are a lot of great ones in the league. Even in our division we have to deal with Frank Clark, Chris Jones (even though heís an interior guy), Bosa, and Ingram. Oakland doesnít have a lot but Ferrel/Hurst have a lot of potential and Key has a ton of speed. Then we face other guys like Garrett, Mack, Clowney, Watt, Griffen, Jones, Casey, Wake, Landry, Ngakoue, Campbell. Our oline is going to have their work cut out for them this season.

    Then again it could also be that he needs to get adjusted to playing on the left side. He looks better on the right side to me even if he still struggles with the speed rushers. His ability to get out in space at his size is very impressive and heís definitely someone that can take big leaps under Munchak.

    Edit: Went back and watched the highlights of the game and in that video Wilkinson gave up 2 pressures and a sack.First pressure was a DB blitz, Williams gave a terrible chip that probably hurt more than helped but Wilkinson either recognized it too late or thought the ball would get out quick because he wasnít in a hurry to get back far enough. 2nd pressure he got beat by speed to his outside shoulder, Hogan stepped up and bounced off the DT that destroyed the LG scrambled and took a sack. On the sack he took a strong punch and got pushed aside and the two edge rushers met at the QB. Run blocking was really good, only one bad play stood out and it wasnít that bad. One run got blown up because the LG couldnít take over the block despite Wilkinson hitting the guy and moving to the next level, that probably doesnít happen with a better LG but Wilkinson also missed the block on the LB when he got to the 2nd level. He did free up David Williams for the only good run we had outside of the Hogan TD.

    On another note, Chaz Green is terrible
    I replayed every snap, not just the highlights. He was not beat by speed rush a few times. That is an inaccurate statement unless our view of a pressure is different. I didnít see any passes altered based on his protection. Unless you can cite the down and time on the clock, those speed rushes that supposedly got around him didnít happen.

    Regarding the play when Lock was flushed out of the pocket, I agree he let the rusher get to Williams too quickly - he made the block but should have pushed him out. When Hogan was sacked it looked like they had the protection wrong because Wilkins sealed the inside where help wasnít needed - not sure if that was his fault.

    An argument could be made that he isnít ready as a starter at LT, but I feel like weíre in a good situation having him as depth as a swing tackle/guard. Bolles had 32 games and hasnít consistently performed consistently - I believe this season, probably the first 4-6 games is his opportunity to prove himself.

    Scangarello made it a point to recognize Wilkinson - I believe his potential is higher than Bolles.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-22-2019 at 11:08 AM.

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,600
    2nd and 11 9:36 3rd quarter was the DB blitz, looks like he recognized it late. May not have effected Hogan but it shows either a lack of recognition for the blitzing DB or a lack of respect for that DBs speed.

    3rd and 10 2:26 3rd quarter, wasnít really a speed rush, rather a push/pull type deal and a rather weak one at that but Wilkinsonís man caused Hogan to step up into the DT before he bounced off and ran around a bit before the sack. Likely a sack even if Wilkinson holds up but Iím judging Wilkinson on what he did.

    3rd and 9 11:37 in the 4th quarter. Again this was likely a sack either way because the RT got beat so bad and kind of forced Hogan into Wilkinsonís man but I counted this as a bad play for him because you can see how off balance Wilkinson gets from the initial punch and from that moment he was already beat. Which is another issue with him, his hands seem weak. A good initial punch can get him off balance and even when he gets the first punch in he sometimes struggles with the counter moves that come after that initial rush.

    Iím at work now so I canít watch the whole game and key in on him but speed rushes have given him issues throughout the preseason, it wasnít just that DB screaming off the edge. Coincidentally though the INT that bounced off Williams hands, Wilkinson looked great there. If he can do that consistently heíd be able to handle most speed rushes. But if that was the case heíd likely be starting at LT already.

    As far as Wilkinson being recognized, I think thatís more of a shot at Leary. Leary isnít a great fit for the zone scheme as a squatty power guy while Wilkinson is long and looks good getting to the 2nd level as well as having started at RG last year. Leary might be on the bubble. Bolles did have some very, very good pass reps in that game especially when Lock came in, itís also when he started some of his funky under punch stuff but after going back a bit that might have been an adjustment he made because he was getting bull rushed back quite a ways when Flacco was in.

    I donít think either is a great solution at LT at the moment and I think we should make the move for Trent Williams and move Bolles (or Wilkinson) to LG and have Risner play C. But at this point itís probably too late for that

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    B-more, not less
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    don’t think either is a great solution at LT at the moment and I think we should make the move for Trent Williams and move Bolles (or Wilkinson) to LG and have Risner play C. But at this point it’s probably too late for that
    Yeah if we were going to I think we missed the window to have it be an effective move for this upcoming season. I was in favor of the move, though unsure if we had the cap space, but like you say it's probably too late.


    I think we have to bite the bullet with Bolles this season, and who knows Wilkinson might be very young at the spot and could improve himself to push Bolles out of the spot.

    Risner I think is going to be awesome at Guard so I think at this point keeping him at the spot will be best for him even though I'm sure he could move over to play center for us down the road in a pinch.

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,209
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    2nd and 11 9:36 3rd quarter was the DB blitz, looks like he recognized it late. May not have effected Hogan but it shows either a lack of recognition for the blitzing DB or a lack of respect for that DBs speed.

    3rd and 10 2:26 3rd quarter, wasnít really a speed rush, rather a push/pull type deal and a rather weak one at that but Wilkinsonís man caused Hogan to step up into the DT before he bounced off and ran around a bit before the sack. Likely a sack even if Wilkinson holds up but Iím judging Wilkinson on what he did.

    3rd and 9 11:37 in the 4th quarter. Again this was likely a sack either way because the RT got beat so bad and kind of forced Hogan into Wilkinsonís man but I counted this as a bad play for him because you can see how off balance Wilkinson gets from the initial punch and from that moment he was already beat. Which is another issue with him, his hands seem weak. A good initial punch can get him off balance and even when he gets the first punch in he sometimes struggles with the counter moves that come after that initial rush.

    Iím at work now so I canít watch the whole game and key in on him but speed rushes have given him issues throughout the preseason, it wasnít just that DB screaming off the edge. Coincidentally though the INT that bounced off Williams hands, Wilkinson looked great there. If he can do that consistently heíd be able to handle most speed rushes. But if that was the case heíd likely be starting at LT already.

    As far as Wilkinson being recognized, I think thatís more of a shot at Leary. Leary isnít a great fit for the zone scheme as a squatty power guy while Wilkinson is long and looks good getting to the 2nd level as well as having started at RG last year. Leary might be on the bubble. Bolles did have some very, very good pass reps in that game especially when Lock came in, itís also when he started some of his funky under punch stuff but after going back a bit that might have been an adjustment he made because he was getting bull rushed back quite a ways when Flacco was in.

    I donít think either is a great solution at LT at the moment and I think we should make the move for Trent Williams and move Bolles (or Wilkinson) to LG and have Risner play C. But at this point itís probably too late for that
    On the DB blitz at 9:36 in the 3rd quarter, Wilkinson had to account for the edge rusher before breaking off to help with the DB. The TE #86 did not make a good block on the DB. Wilkinson did a nice job of getting enough of the DB to force him far enough outside that he fell down trying to bend toward Hogan. I donít think itís reasonable to expect Wilkinson to take on the edge rusher and the DB, given the TE was there and didnít execute.

    On the bull rush at 2:36 in the 3rd, you didnít account for the interior pressure caused by the LG losing his block. Hogan had to step up but Wilkinson kept his block. Hogan ran into the DT because the LG didnít do his job. Itís very clear when you look at the replay.

    On the play at 11:37 in the 4th quarter, the RT lost the edge to #95 of the 49ers. Thatís why Hogan was flushed to his left. Wilkinson canít be expected to block his man much longer than he did. This was a similar play from last season when Von sacked Wilson - Chubb forced Wilson out of the pocket by beating his man and right into Von for the sack.

    Youíre isolating Wilkinson without accounting for other factors. The play at 11:37 in the 4th quarter is a perfect example. The sack was caused by the RT being beat badly off the edge by #95. Itís fine to talk about Wilkinsonís technique, but even if he was perfect on that play - the breakdown was the RT.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-22-2019 at 04:22 PM.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,315
    Since we're talking Broncos o-line, about a player that just "got away":

    Just watched Matt Paradis get driven right back to the QB by Michael Bennett on just straight power. That's a 275 pound player who just pushed him back like he was a HS center.

    I like Paradis, but I think Carolina will regret that contract. PFF loved him a lot more than they should have.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Since we're talking Broncos o-line, about a player that just "got away":

    Just watched Matt Paradis get driven right back to the QB by Michael Bennett on just straight power. That's a 275 pound player who just pushed him back like he was a HS center.

    I like Paradis, but I think Carolina will regret that contract. PFF loved him a lot more than they should have.
    Matt will always need help against an odd front with a nasty 0 tech. He can't handle that alone. Making all the right line calls is one thing; making the blocks is another.

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,315
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Matt will always need help against an odd front with a nasty 0 tech. He can't handle that alone. Making all the right line calls is one thing; making the blocks is another.
    The alarming thing to me is that it's a guy who's relatively small (275 pounds) so he outweighs him by 25 pounds. But Bennett didn't even try to use speed, just straight drove him back into the QB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •