Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Risner has shorter arms than most NFL tackle so he will play inside at guard as Elway already stated.

However and even though he has shorter arms, he held is own againt outside pass rushers in college, Montez Sweat was one of them! He can play!
    I think I read a scouting report on Dalton that said his arm measurement is 34". If so, is that considered short? IIRC, the main concern for him playing outside was footwork in mirroring speed rushers. What little video I've seen of his run blocking shows little cause for concern in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Love the Risner pick and James signing. Munchak has some players to work with, at least.

If Bolles can be coached and improved and Leary can be healthy they might even be pretty damn good together.

Only surprise I take from the draft is they did not choose to take a late round or two olineman to work with.
    Elway needs to address Chris Harris' contract. After that, it might be possible to re-sign Jared Veldheer, if he's still available. He was the last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    If the bold is Denver's starting OL,
    then I hope the depth is capable of
    picking up any slack.

Bolles
    Leary / Schlottmann
    McGovern / Falah
    Risner / Jones
    James / Wilkinson
    I would like to see us bring Veldheer back on a 1 year deal. He should come cheap at this point. Starting 5 looks great, depth could be an issue.

picking up any slack.

Bolles
    Leary / Schlottmann
    McGovern / Falah
    Risner / Jones
    James / Wilkinson
    Don't forget Don Barclay.

picking up any slack.

Bolles
    Leary / Schlottmann
    McGovern / Falah
    Risner / Jones
    James / Wilkinson
    Don't forget Barclay. He's in the mix for interior linemen too. Might have been a good depth pickup.

Edit: lol Sam, I posted this and then it refreshed and I see you beat me to the punch. Great minds...

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out and how things shift around based on how McGovern and Bolles perform (and does Leary stay healthy, does James switch to left tackle and Bolles bump inside, does Risner go to center), but I think it's likely that Wilkinson, Jones and Barclay are the top backups.
    Last edited by Humberg; 04-29-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Following still available:
    OT Tyler Roemer, San Diego St.
    OT Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
    OT Paul Adams, Missouri
    OG Lester Cotton, Alabama
    T/G Martez Ivey, Florida
    OG Nate Herbig, Stanford
    That one surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Bradbury will most certainly be gone. I think the Vikings are a lock to take him in the 1st. Risner might not make it to day 2 either, so I'm hoping for Erik McCoy, who is also an excellent Center. Elgton Jenkins also should be an option on day 2.
    good call

I feel a lot better about our line than I did last year, of course losing Leary hurt quite a bit.

Between coaching and additions, I feel like we've got a far better line than we've had in years now.

Much better now than I did 6months ago. I also predict by seasons end, our interior will be
    Risner, Jones, McGovern.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Between coaching and additions, I feel like we've got a far better line than we've had in years now.
    Agreed. The addition of quality starters, serviceable depth and good coaching should lead to good things. This line hasn't received this much of a boost since the late 90s. Plus a talented set of skill position players and some quarterback talent, reason for optimism here in Denver.
    Maybe we should resign Rahim Moore so he could finally get the chance to knock down a Joe Flacco pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post
    Agreed. The addition of quality starters, serviceable depth and good coaching should lead to good things. This line hasn't received this much of a boost since the late 90s. Plus a talented set of skill position players and some quarterback talent, reason for optimism here in Denver.
    Honestly, with the o-line bolstered, we may not need Flacco to be much more than just average Joe Flacco. We don't need Superbowl Joe to show up. If our running game is consistent this year and our defense is as improved as I feel like it'll be, this team is going to be a strong competitor in 2019. People can call me a homer all they want, but this is a playoff capable team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Honestly, with the o-line bolstered, we may not need Flacco to be much more than just average Joe Flacco. We don't need Superbowl Joe to show up. If our running game is consistent this year and our defense is as improved as I feel like it'll be, this team is going to be a strong competitor in 2019. People can call me a homer all they want, but this is a playoff capable team right now.
    especially with the status of the AFCW now. I would have to give the edge to the Chargers for 1st place right now but it's wide open for the taking.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    especially with the status of the AFCW now. I would have to give the edge to the Chargers for 1st place right now but it's wide open for the taking.
    Careful, you'll rile up the chiefs game that think they are the best of all time haha

If healthy, the 1st team O-Line in TC should be: Bolles; Leary; McGovern; Risner; James. The big question mark there is Leary. Will he return from a second season ending injury and put in a whole season?

2nd team O-Line would probably be something like: Wilkinson (7 starts); Jones; Brendel; Barclay; Rodgers. Brendel and Barclay have injury concerns. Jake Brendel was undrafted in 2016 and ended up on Miami's PS and to the roster by the end of the season. He was available all of 2017 with no starts. He started 2018 on IR, came off it in November for three starts and went back on IR to end the season. He was coached by Chris Kuper. Don Barclay (25 starts) missed 2014, 2018 and most of 2017 due mostly to injuries. He was drafted in 2012 by Green Bay and is 30. Jake Rodgers was drafted by the Falcons in 2015 and has been on the PS of seven teams the past four years, including Pittsburgh a couple of seasons, where he was coached by Mike Munchak.

If 1st and 2nd teams above are close, 3rd team O-Line might be something like: Leglue ("the glue"?); Schlottmann; Falah; Bailey; Wallace.

The biggest question between 2nd and 3rd team is who will be Swing Tackle? Ideally you want Swing Tackle to be able to come in and play either side with no shuffle. O-Line coaches' rule-of-thumb is start your best five and shuffle them to their best spots. If one of the five can't go, bring in #6 and reshuffle, if necessary.

If Risner provided depth at RT, it would involve as many as two or three shuffles depending on what happened. The only guy I can see who is a possibility for ST is Elijah Wilkinson, but that remains a TC project which will need to unfold. They might re-sign Jared Veldheer (113 starts split between LT & RT) who will be 32 when the season starts. He could play either side.

There will be floating between 2nd and 3rd team along with shuffling, but may not include Wilkinson and Jones who have some versatility. Schlottmann might get shuffled around a lot as he can play most O-Line spots. Falah can play the inside spots. Barclay and Brendel have some experience, but need to stay out of the training room. Munchak knows Rodgers, so where he lines up and on what team will be indicative.

Denver will keep eight or nine O-Linemen on the roster and several on the PS for a total of at least eleven. I hope everyone keeps it undramatic except for Dalton's search for syrup for all the pancakes he will flip.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-29-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add/switch
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus