Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Oh. I thought you disagreed with all of what I said. Not sure how waiting until after week 5 addresses any of what I posted...
    you aren't changing your mind. I'm not changing mine. At least not until we see him play during the regular season.

I'm not going through a preseason game play by play to find specific examples. He didn't play "really good" last season. He hasn't had a good camp, I was there a few days and saw him get abused by just about everyone he went against...starters and backups, and he hasn't played well this preseason.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-21-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Either way we’ll feel fine. Flacco on the other hand.....might not feel so good.
    hahahaha, very possible

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    you aren't changing your mind. I'm not changing mine. At least not until we see him play during the regular season.

I'm not going through a preseason game play by play to find specific examples. He didn't play "really good" last season. He hasn't had a good camp, I was there a few days and saw him get abused by just about everyone he went against...starters and backups, and he hasn't played well this preseason.
    So you want to ignore analytics from the second half of last year and base your opinion of him having a poor camp off of one training camp practice you attended?

Reports from people who go to camp every week say Bolles is having a good summer.

I'm not saying he is even an average player. I'm merely saying that Bolles shouldn't be replaced by Wilkenson. I don't think it's too crazy to see if he improves during the regular season.

I'll be right there with you if he is still making dumb mistakes then.

So you want to ignore analytics from the second half of last year and base your opinion of him having a poor camp off of one training camp practice you attended?

Reports from people who go to camp every week say Bolles is having a good summer.

I'm not saying he is even an average player. I'm merely saying that Bolles shouldn't be replaced by Wilkenson. I don't think it's too crazy to see if he improves during the regular season.

I'll be right there with you if he is still making dumb mistakes then.
    PFF is horrible at grading/evaluating Olinemen so yes, I ignore those rankings and % that they post, especially when the eye test doesn't match up. I don't think Bolles should be replaced by anyone on the roster right now either.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    PFF is horrible at grading/evaluating Olinemen so yes, I ignore those rankings and % that they post, especially when the eye test doesn't match up. I don't think Bolles should be replaced by anyone on the roster right now either.
    Sorry. There is just so much hate for him in this thread coming from so many different directions that it's hard to tell who said what.

Analytics aside, I thought he played decent down the stretch last year and was certainly a huge help in the run game. He was the 20th pick based off of his athleticism. He is a perfect fit for some of the zone concepts we want to run this year.

I'm just as mad as all of you when he gets called for a hold to negate a huge play. I'm just not ready to give up on him or try him at different positions yet. Offensive Line is becoming the hardest position to transition to from college. Let's give the guy a 3rd year. I don't think it's that crazy considering that we have no other option.

I dont hate Bolles . I want him to be a top LT. I like his nastiness as well. I just wish he'd would improve his technique. Needs to cut down on the penalties. We will see how he does this year. If Munchak cant get him playing at a higher more disciplined level he wont be out LT for long.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    I dont hate Bolles . I want him to be a top LT. I like his nastiness as well. I just wish he'd would improve his technique. Needs to cut down on the penalties. We will see how he does this year. If Munchak cant get him playing at a higher more disciplined level he wont be out LT for long.
    agreed

Sorry. There is just so much hate for him in this thread coming from so many different directions that it's hard to tell who said what.

Analytics aside, I thought he played decent down the stretch last year and was certainly a huge help in the run game. He was the 20th pick based off of his athleticism. He is a perfect fit for some of the zone concepts we want to run this year.

I'm just as mad as all of you when he gets called for a hold to negate a huge play. I'm just not ready to give up on him or try him at different positions yet. Offensive Line is becoming the hardest position to transition to from college. Let's give the guy a 3rd year. I don't think it's that crazy considering that we have no other option.
    agreed

I agree with the caveat that he can not be the one holding this offense back (pun intended). The Broncos are trying to overturn what was an abysmal coaching staff with abysmal results. He can't keep costing the team. I'm alright with him starting out the season, but if he reverts back to old tricks, they literally have to try someone else there IMHO.

I think we need to let it play out and not have people calling for Bolles to move to guard or James move to the left side. Outside of a bad preseason game he has been trending in a positive direction since the second half of last year. He gets one hold in a meaningless game and people want to move around the whole line.
    I agree with you. You are not going to change someone's mind on the internet. There are some who are open minded but far more just looking to reinforce the opinion they came with.

Over and over last year multiple people said Bolles issues were technique. He has the ability to get it done he just is lacking the proper footwork and positioning. I can not remember all the former players who said the issues I mentioned were causing penalties but I herd it repeatedly all year during the games and watching NFL shows outside the games.

Part of this imo is because we have had crap OL coaches for a long time. Part of it may be Bolles. Who knows where this will go.

We have The Munch now. Give Bolles another shot in 2019 at LT.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lt-gare...o-hope-in-2019

"(Weeks 10-17) was extremely encouraging, particularly from a pass-blocking perspective. From Week 10 on, Bolles allowed a pressure rate of just 2.9% which ranked third among left tackles in that period, trailing only Tyron Smith (1.5%) and Ronnie Stanley (2.6%). It was a promising in-season improvement for the Broncosí left tackle, as his pass-blocking grade in the second half of the season (77.1) was over 10.0 points higher than it was from Weeks 1-9 (66.4)."

Outside of last nights preseason game, what did you dislike in the first two games?
    This is a good stat to rest some hope on.

If I was a "decision maker" on the Broncos or a team facing the Broncos I would also look up how many penalties Bolles committed (called accepted/declined and maybe not called). Those will affect this stat and give insight on weakness of Bolles to correct (for the Broncos) or exploit (for our opponents).

PFF is not bad imo. Most conversations are had with far less information than is actually needed to make a good critical decision. Most people just do not want to pay the attention needed to have that kind of discussion.

It is far easier just to call something bad info that one does not agree with.

Bolles is now working in 3rd system with his 3rd oline coach in as many years. His pass blocking improved from year one to year two. Yes he was tied for the most holding penalties with 7 (Tyron Smith was the other, donít think cowboys fans want him benched) but it wasnít as bad as it suggests. He had 4 holding penalties in 2 games, Ravens and Chargers. In the other 14 games there were only 3 holds that were accepted. That really isnít that bad. And Iím sure if I dig deeper into it some of these holds are going to be the result of the QB extending the play or a RB bouncing/cutting away from where the run was designed to go.

Yes, Bolles has a lot of technique stuff to work on but heís playing at arguably the toughest position with less actual football experience than most 3rd year players. Munchak says he enjoys working with him and that he has a lot of natural talent. We will see if he can get him up to par because at this moment aside from maybe swapping him and Risner I donít see another guy that can come in and play better than him at LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I agree with the caveat that he can not be the one holding this offense back (pun intended). The Broncos are trying to overturn what was an abysmal coaching staff with abysmal results. He can't keep costing the team. I'm alright with him starting out the season, but if he reverts back to old tricks, they literally have to try someone else there IMHO.
    The Broncos as a team have been failing to properly address the offensive line for years. We been acquiring players with big hope smoke attached them and not doing a good job through the draft at all. It does not take a lot of time or critical thought to look at our team pass protection efforts and realize for one reason or another it has not been seriously addressed. Maybe there were other priorities or maybe the team just not feel the opportunities to improve were there and did not want to waste resources.

All one needs to do to understand a team making team pass protection a priority is to look at what the Falcons did in this last off season and imo it would be easy to argue their starting point was better than our has been in a long time.

What really confuses me about this is Elway did not win Super Bowls until the Broncos started making the team blocking a priority by trading for and signing many players and coaches. This year may have been the most attention our team blocking has gotten since Elway got here. We got real lucky that The Munch wanted to come to Denver to be near his family.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Wilkinson played worse at LT, he just didnít have a holding call that negated a big play. Wilkinson has really struggled at LT and even at RT when matched up against speed.
    I am not sure why people making a big deal about that negated big play. I do understand there is some feelings of history behind this but it is preseason. The players coaches and refs are getting ready for the regular season.

One play should not be the driving force behind making a decision. It is why "preseason stars" may never see action during the regular season. Coaches look at the entire body of work, preseason games and practices, when decisions are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I am not sure why people making a big deal about that negated big play. I do understand there is some feelings of history behind this but it is preseason. The players coaches and refs are getting ready for the regular season.

One play should not be the driving force behind making a decision. It is why "preseason stars" may never see action during the regular season. Coaches look at the entire body of work, preseason games and practices, when decisions are made.
    Knowshon Moreno was a victim of this for awhile. Itís a combination of draft position and poor play. Whatís discouraging about Bolles though is that while he is slowly improving, the mistakes he makes are the same ones he always makes. His stance is a little too wide, doesnít square himself up with the defender, does weird things with his arms, gets too high, etc. You can look at any hold or sack and he does pretty much all these things every time and then gets frustrated by it and now heís going to play poorly the next few plays or possibly series.

His mental toughness to me is the biggest weakness in his game. He doesnít have the ability to step back analyze why he just got beat and correct going into the next play. He just gets frustrated and plays reckless until the offense is off the field.