Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    The Oline was up and down last night. A few runs got blew up before the RB could even make a move. They held up pretty good at times vs the pass. Boles has to be addressed. This dude finds the worst times in games to just get run over or commit a hold. His hold took away a great deep play to Sanders. Then to add onto it, Fant gets hurt on the next play. I really hope Munchak can get through to this guy and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I kind of feel like Joe Flacco needs to tell the coaching staff to get Bolles off the field.

Thats if this blatant holding continuous.

Holding can be called on every play but itís so obviously happens when something good happens for the offense.

It seems the only way the offense can move down the field is if Bolles is holding because heís not good enough to legitimately give Flacco very much time in the pocket.
    Who would you put in?

I kind of feel like Joe Flacco needs to tell the coaching staff to get Bolles off the field.

Holding can be called on every play but itís so obviously happens when something good happens for the offense.

It seems the only way the offense can move down the field is if Bolles is holding because heís not good enough to legitimately give Flacco very much time in the pocket.
    that's a blatant overreaction

Holding can be called on every play but it’s so obviously happens when something good happens for the offense.

It seems the only way the offense can move down the field is if Bolles is holding because he’s not good enough to legitimately give Flacco very much time in the pocket.
    So both Scangarello and Munchak should start over with whom?

You do realize that as bad has Bolles has been in the two preseason games they've installed a completely different offense from what Bolles has been in as a Bronco. Add to that Fangio seems to like where Bolles is at the moment, which can obviously change, but I don't see Flacco saying anything unless he has a better idea to put in place.

“I like where he’s at. I like his mindset,” coach Vic Fangio said. “He’s not going to be perfect. The thing you always have to remember about him is he had such a limited football background prior to coming to the NFL that he’s still in the growing stages more so than other guys.”
    Bolles "growing stages" have been costly but for as bad has his pass pro has been he's been fair in run blocking. Fangio seems to think he's teachable and serviceable right now. We'll probably have to ride this out until that changes or he steps up.

Ron Leary didn't play last night, so Austin Schlottmann started at RG along with the rest of first team O-Line. When Bolles, Risner, McGovern and James were replaced by Wilkinson, Barclay, Brendel and Rodgers, Schlottmann stayed in with them for the rest of the first half. In the second half, Jones replaced Schlottmann.

I expect that Elway has his scouts listing all non-starting O-Linemen in the league ranked by experience, scouting report, draft position and injury history with a final ranking in order of perceived value. Included on the list will be all of Denver's O-Linemen. Anything any of the scouts and coaches know about any of these players will be included in the evaluation. After Saturday's game, Munchak will probably join them, Elway, Fangio and Scangarello in a meeting to come up with a contingency list of whom to sign in the event they are released after preseason.

The big question is Leary. Will he play, or not? If so, the five are Bolles, Risner, McGovern, Leary and James. It seems that Elijah Wilkinson is number six. Eight or nine O-Linemen will be kept on the roster with probably a couple on the PS. So, who are the next two or three guys? Schlottmann starting last night was a surprise. I had him figured most likely for the PS. A number of observers have expected Don Barclay to be on the roster for depth, but that now seems in doubt. I don't think he has PS eligibility. Sam Jones is kind of a disappointment, but he has PS eligibility, if I'm not mistaken.

Green, Bisnowaty, Leglue, Crozier and Bailey didn't play last night and probably won't play until the last preseason game. One or more of those guys might appear on the PS.

When the final cuts come, I think Denver will be on the lookout for O-Linemen who seem better than Schlottmann, Barclay, Jones, Rodgers and Brendel. Jake Brendel doesn't seem like a roster-worthy backup C. It isn't clear who the backup Center is. Dalton Risner has taken snaps at C during TC. Austin Schlottmann can play any of the inside spots. Ryan Crozier doesn't seem worthy of a PS spot. If a C/G or G/C who seems a better prospect than Schlottmann is released, Denver may pick him up.

If Leary can't start against the Raiders on 9 September, I believe Eli Wilkinson will line up at RG. The guy who is expected to be the Swing Tackle would be at G. In that scenario, there would need to be two good inside guys active as backups, or another T and a C/G to shuffle, if needed. I'm having a hard time seeing it clearly right now. Fortunately, Mike Munchak knows exactly with what he's working. It will be interesting to see if Denver picks up any O-Linemen released in the final cuts.

Denver needs to build and maintain the O-Line mainly through the Draft. Free agent O-Linemen are too expensive IMO. Denver has a lot of draft picks next year. Elway has admitted the thinness of the O-Line depth. Hope he addresses it in the future.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

How do you think James would do at the LT position? Better then Bolles? Of course with all Bolles penalties it doesnt matter which side hes on I guess

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    How do you think James would do at the LT position? Better then Bolles? Of course with all Bolles penalties it doesnt matter which side hes on I guess
    I don't know enough about his footwork. Some guys flip back and forth easily, and some really respond to 1 side best. Bolles will likely commit penalties on both sides, and most really good pass rushers just flip sides to find the weakest blocker.

This isn't Madden. Bolles is an LT and James is an RT. Swapping them would likely have many more negative benefits than positive.

Havenít been too happy with Wilkinsonís pass blocking at OT. He struggles with speed rushers and his punch seemed very weak last night. I thought he looked good early in the preseason run blocking at RT as a zone guy but Iím not seeing any consistency with it. We may have to look for a swing tackle in the wave of cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    This isn't Madden. Bolles is an LT and James is an RT. Swapping them would likely have many more negative benefits than positive.
    Hmmm, you've never seen lineman switch sides or position ? How long have you been watching football?

Hmmm, you've never seen lineman switch sides or position ? How long have you been watching football?
    Of course it happens sometimes but that doesn't mean that everyone can do it. Linemen tend to have a preference. Bolles has been playing LT his whole career. Flipping to the right side would change the way he places his hands and how he would set. Acting like they can just switch sides and be better for it is completely ignoring what goes into it.

Can you explain to me why James would be better on the left side?

I love the " you're overreacting". You have way too much faith in him. He has not shown me one thing that lead me to believe he has change. "But but but Murph2432 we have munchak." In each other the three pre-season games I watched Bolles get bullied and pushed back. He'll have a good series a couple times in a good. I'll give him that. He clearly doesn't have the ability to improve his technic because he resorts to the same method. If he gets beat he will hold them and it's cost us on too many big plays that can change the outcome of a game. Sometimes even great coaches can't help players.

Sadly, we don't have much to replace him and his cap hit if traded or released.. Maybe Wilkerson?? However, I see him getting replaced next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I love the " you're overreacting". You have way too much faith in him. He has not shown me one thing that lead me to believe he has change. "But but but Murph2432 we have munchak." In each other the three pre-season games I watched Bolles get bullied and pushed back. He'll have a good series a couple times in a good. I'll give him that. He clearly doesn't have the ability to improve his technic because he resorts to the same method. If he gets beat he will hold them and it's cost us on too many big plays that can change the outcome of a game. Sometimes even great coaches can't help players.

Sadly, we don't have much to replace him and his cap hit if traded or released.. Maybe Wilkerson?? However, I see him getting replaced next year.
    Offensive tackles don't grow on trees. The best we can hope for is that Bolles continues to improve. He had a really good second half of the season last year and has had a good camp so far. Not sure what games you were watching this preseason but he has played well outside of last night.

In 2015 Ryan Clady went on IR. Rookie Ty Sambrailo moved from RT to LT. Ryan Harris came in at RT. After about three games, Sambrailo went on IR. Harris moved from RT to LT, a spot he had hardly played during his career. Michael Schofield filled in at RT for most of the remainder of the season.

Ja'Wuan James has played both sides, but mostly on the right. I'm inclined to doubt Bolles will be moved from LT, but if someone had to fill in there, Munchak has a plan which might involve flipping James to the left. At the moment there just aren't a lot of viable options to challenge the starting Tackles. Even if Denver picks up a T after cuts, he probably would just be for depth.

Denver's O-Line needs annual attention in the Draft.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Didn't Risner play a little OT in college. With his motor and football IQ, maybe we should switch him and GB.