Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 310
  1. #256
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    This is a good stat to rest some hope on.

    If I was a "decision maker" on the Broncos or a team facing the Broncos I would also look up how many penalties Bolles committed (called accepted/declined and maybe not called). Those will affect this stat and give insight on weakness of Bolles to correct (for the Broncos) or exploit (for our opponents).

    PFF is not bad imo. Most conversations are had with far less information than is actually needed to make a good critical decision. Most people just do not want to pay the attention needed to have that kind of discussion.

    It is far easier just to call something bad info that one does not agree with.
    PFF is notoriously bad for Oline rankings. One example that pops to mind is when they ranked JD Walton as the best Center in the league. Any one buying that?

  2. #257
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    715
    [QUOTE=beastlyskronk;5822101]Knowshon Moreno was a victim of this for awhile. It’s a combination of draft position and poor play. What’s discouraging about Bolles though is that while he is slowly improving, the mistakes he makes are the same ones he always makes. His stance is a little too wide, doesn’t square himself up with the defender, does weird things with his arms, gets too high, etc. You can look at any hold or sack and he does pretty much all these things every time and then gets frustrated by it and now he’s going to play poorly the next few plays or possibly series.

    His mental toughness to me is the biggest weakness in his game. He doesn’t have the ability to step back analyze why he just got beat and correct going into the next play. He just gets frustrated and plays reckless until the offense is off the fieldQUOTE]

    Sounds like me and my golf game

  3. #258
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    PFF is notoriously bad for Oline rankings. One example that pops to mind is when they ranked JD Walton as the best Center in the league. Any one buying that?
    It's one metric. I think it's very disingenuous to cherry pick one example of one player to prove your point. Feel free to tell me they are wrong on their top units in 2019:

    https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-off...-entering-2019

    Looks pretty accurate to me.

  4. #259
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,913
    One thing that can be said for Garrett Bolles is that he's out there on the field lining up and playing. The same can't be said for Ron Leary who is making more than Ja'wuan James this year.

    If Saturday's game is a dress rehearsal for the season opener at Oakland 9 September, and Leary isn't available, they should put Eli Wilkinson in at RG because he's number six. Start whom would start if ...

    Then when second team goes in, instead of Jake Brendel at C, they should put Austin Schlottmann since he seems to be number seven at the moment and could use game reps at C, a spot for which he provides game day depth.

    If Leary can start the season, at the moment it looks like Wilkinson and Schlottmann would be the game day backups, unless Denver can find better alternatives after cuts.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  5. #260
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I agree with you. You are not going to change someone's mind on the internet. There are some who are open minded but far more just looking to reinforce the opinion they came with.

    Over and over last year multiple people said Bolles issues were technique. He has the ability to get it done he just is lacking the proper footwork and positioning. I can not remember all the former players who said the issues I mentioned were causing penalties but I herd it repeatedly all year during the games and watching NFL shows outside the games.

    Part of this imo is because we have had crap OL coaches for a long time. Part of it may be Bolles. Who knows where this will go.

    We have The Munch now. Give Bolles another shot in 2019 at LT.
    Players have said Bolles has not responded to coaching because he gets frustrated and canít control his emotions. Examples where he literally walked away from coaches and would not return for instruction. Doesnít matter who the coach is - if you canít handle constructive feedback then youíre not going to improve. One player said he matured since last season and is more responsive - the catch is that means heís essentially lost two years of development.

  6. #261
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,963
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    It's one metric. I think it's very disingenuous to cherry pick one example of one player to prove your point. Feel free to tell me they are wrong on their top units in 2019:

    https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-off...-entering-2019

    Looks pretty accurate to me.
    PFF ranked Bolles higher in the back half of last season. Heís ranked at the top of the league for penalties over two seasons. Many of those penalties, especially holding, point to his inability to consistently execute.

  7. #262
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,963
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Wilkinson played worse at LT, he just didnít have a holding call that negated a big play. Wilkinson has really struggled at LT and even at RT when matched up against speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I am not sure why people making a big deal about that negated big play. I do understand there is some feelings of history behind this but it is preseason. The players coaches and refs are getting ready for the regular season.

    One play should not be the driving force behind making a decision. It is why "preseason stars" may never see action during the regular season. Coaches look at the entire body of work, preseason games and practices, when decisions are made.
    It wasnít only the holding penalty. He negated what would have likely been a big gain by Lindsay because he was the only lineman that didnít effectively excecute his block. He had a bad game.

  8. #263
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Loveland
    Posts
    8,356
    Not to make excuses for Bolles, but weíve had some pretty terrible QB play the last 2 years. I wonder how many of these holding calls donít happen if we actually had a QB who knew how to get rid of the ball in a reasonable amount of time.

  9. #264
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Not to make excuses for Bolles, but weíve had some pretty terrible QB play the last 2 years. I wonder how many of these holding calls donít happen if we actually had a QB who knew how to get rid of the ball in a reasonable amount of time.
    I have some...bad news. When you look at the TT stat for 2018 Joe Flacco had a higher TT stat that Case did. So if we as a team were hoping that Joe would throw the ball faster than Case we are sadly mistaken.

  10. #265
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I have some...bad news. When you look at the TT stat for 2018 Joe Flacco had a higher TT stat that Case did. So if we as a team were hoping that Joe would throw the ball faster than Case we are sadly mistaken.
    Flacco actually has pocket awareness and knows how to move around and step up and buy more time. I don't need to talk to much about that point regarding Keenum because we all saw it last year.

  11. #266
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,470
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Flacco actually has pocket awareness and knows how to move around and step up and buy more time. I don't need to talk to much about that point regarding Keenum because we all saw it last year.
    Part of that is just a simple difference in height and visibility with Flacco being 5" taller.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  12. #267
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    It wasnít only the holding penalty. He negated what would have likely been a big gain by Lindsay because he was the only lineman that didnít effectively excecute his block. He had a bad game.
    No one is saying he didnít. Iím saying Wilkinson hasnít looked better at LT than Bolles and heís going up against depth guys. At the end of the day as it currently stands the best offensive line we put out will include Bolles in it and thatíll likely be at LT because no one has shown that they can perform at a higher level there. Risner probably could and I do believe Bolles would be better in the short term at LG rather than LT but the coaching staff is in no rush to make that switch.

  13. #268
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Players have said Bolles has not responded to coaching because he gets frustrated and canít control his emotions. Examples where he literally walked away from coaches and would not return for instruction. Doesnít matter who the coach is - if you canít handle constructive feedback then youíre not going to improve. One player said he matured since last season and is more responsive - the catch is that means heís essentially lost two years of development.
    He needs to go now if thatís the case. Why canít Broncos management learn to park their ego and cut our losses? Itís ok to be wrong. Bolleís strength was a clear concern prior to the draft and now its playing out in the form of holding against any pass rushers that are mediocre otherwise.

  14. #269
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,518
    Another thing I feel that is being overlooked in this whole Bolles fiasco along with all the coaching/scheme changes is that in 2 seasons heís played next to 3 different LGs. As a rookie he was next to Max Garcia who couldnít block anyone and last year he started out next to Leary before finishing the season strong next to Turner.

    Why is this important in my eyes? Weíll cohesion among the oline is a huge factor in success. Garcia couldnít block anyone so Bolles is essentially on an island with an edge rusher having a 2 way go while the QB deals with an interior pass rusher. Leary is a massive OG who likes to short set and anchor as close to the LoS as possible because he canít move as well so again Bolles is on an island. Now Turner is a guy that is better in space than in a phone booth so he wouldnít short set players the way Leary and Garcia would which cuts down on the space to Bolles inside shoulder, throw a chip in and voila Bolles is suddenly much improved over what he was just because the guy next to him gels with him so much better and Bolles doesnít have to be so terrified of the speed rush around the corner because of the chip. Risner should help Bolles out a lot as they play together and learn what they are good at as Risner can do play in space and in a phone booth at a high enough level. McGovern will need a lot of help from Leary and James is going to have to be on an island a good bit.

    If Bolles can just stop getting perpendicular with the LoS he can be a very good LT. He needs to trust his feet though and not try to race edge rushers to the corner. Be patient, mirror them, and hit them with a quick hard punch and keep hand fighting until the QB gets the ball out. On the Bolles hold, watch James, the difference is night and day. Bolles has his arms out like an airplane and is perpendicular with the LoS almost immediately after the snap, thatís fear and panic that you canít get kick fast enough to stop the speed rush. James is squared up to his rusher with his hands tight into his chest waiting to deliver a punch. Bolles rusher did line up further outside but there was a TE there to mitigate the outside rush so there was no reason to turn and run.

    Bolles needs to do a lot of one on one mirror drills because I donít see a player who trusts his feet and it throws his balance off which causes him to do a whole lot of weird stuff with his arms. Grab Von, Chubb, and Munchak after practice and just go at it until it becomes second nature. And get out of that mentality of having your QB hit as like having someone hit your wife. Holding is going to kill the play, give the QB a chance to manipulate the pocket and get a pass off sometimes.

  15. #270
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,518
    Quote Originally Posted by elway7777 View Post
    He needs to go now if thatís the case. Why canít Broncos management learn to park their ego and cut our losses? Itís ok to be wrong. Bolleís strength was a clear concern prior to the draft and now its playing out in the form of holding against any pass rushers that are mediocre otherwise.
    Because strength really isnít the issue, when your technique is as bad as his at times, youíre effectively limiting your strength to just your arms or hands. You canít anchor very well if youíre off balance, have poor leverage and canít square up with your defender. Now your hands are outside on the shoulder while the defender is in your chest, itís just all bad. But when heís patient and his technique is good, he can stifle a pass rusher very effectively. And he has the quickness to mirror damn near every pass rusher, he just doesnít trust it for whatever reason. All the potential is there, who can bring it out of him? Thatís why Munchak was brought in and Munchak likes working with him

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •