Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I agree, I never said I wanted Bolles at guard. I would be pumped to get Williams in the draft. There are a few linemen that would be great picks with a trade down.
    I apologize! I quoted the wrong response, which should have been the following:

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I agree. I’m still on board with a tackle at 10 and pushing Bolles into a gaurd position.

But it’s likely not the best value we can get at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I believe at least one draft pick will be used on an interior lineman. I didn't think Elijah Wilkinson played that poorly, but I don't know if he's a starter. We currently don't have a swing tackle either.
    I am hoping for Dalton Risner in the 2nd, if Garrett Bradbury is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Is McGovernís best position Guard or Center?
    Iíd say center. I didnít care for him much as a guard.

Quote Originally Posted by RSH View Post
    With all due respect, I want nothing of Bolles at guard. Bolles' best asset is his athleticism. IMHO, Bolles would be even worse at guard.

The Broncos should strongly consider drafting Jonah Williams in the first round, especially if the Broncos can trade down and still select him. He can play anywhere along the offensive line, including center, where his intelligence and superb technique would be a major asset. He also would be a good hedge at left tackle in case Bolles regresses and/or continues to be penalty prone. Playing Williams at center would allow Connor McGovern to play his more natural position of right guard. Charlie Campbell wrote, "it would not surprise me if center is [Williams'] best position for the pros, as his intelligence will be a great asset in the middle of the line."

Williams is kind of like an offensive lineman version of Peyton Manning. Mike Munchak could mold Williams into a very good player.
    With all do respect you are wrong. Bolles played tackle at Utah because yes as you mention he had the best athleticism on the team. However the scouting reports all said his best traits were his run blocking where he was an absolute mammoth for Utah. Many experts said he had bad footwork for an NFl tackle due to the style of offense Utah ran. And said he would have to learn proper techniques in the nfl. Many said he would be better suited as a guard than a tackle where he can spend more time working as a run blocker and not have to worry about his footwork getting beat on the edge.

If we pushed him into guard we get his run blocking ability while also limiting his needed range of movement for pass protection.

With all do respect you are wrong. Bolles played tackle at Utah because yes as you mention he had the best athleticism on the team. However the scouting reports all said his best traits were his run blocking where he was an absolute mammoth for Utah. Many experts said he had bad footwork for an NFl tackle due to the style of offense Utah ran. And said he would have to learn proper techniques in the nfl. Many said he would be better suited as a guard than a tackle where he can spend more time working as a run blocker and not have to worry about his footwork getting beat on the edge.

If we pushed him into guard we get his run blocking ability while also limiting his needed range of movement for pass protection.
    There is no need to be haughty. We are all Broncos fans here that may have different takes. Please share the scouting reports that you are referencing, e.g., that Bolles is better suited to play guard. I would like to read them. Per Lance Zierlein,

STRENGTHS Elite athletic ability with the sweetest feet at the tackle position in this draft. Movement skills are smooth and unencumbered. There isn't an angle block he can't get to. Smooth climbs to linebackers as a work-up blocker, and has rare ability to accelerate from that block up to a third target. Has lateral quickness in run game to cross-face from backside and seal on the play-side. Can take quick settle steps, sinks and scoops defensive ends on base blocks. Quick feet allow for more patience to scan for stunts. Can meet edge speed with quick sets in pass pro. Plays with a mean streak and loves to finish. Outstanding change of direction to mirror without a hitch in his transition. Keeps weight on inside foot in his slides. Moves feet into position against inside counters. Balanced in his pass sets and keeps blocks centered. Should get bigger and stronger with more weight work after unorthodox path to the draft.

WEAKNESSES Frame is a little narrow and legs appear to be shorter than normal. Devoid of drive power in his lowers. Pad level rises and he struggles to generate much movement against stout outside linebackers at point of attack. Needs better knee bend into second-level contact. Inconsistent in sustaining his blocks. Power can toss him off balance. May be limited by scheme fit. Needs to keep hands inside to bolster strength in his base. Lacks trust in his core power against speed-to-power. Leans into blocks with feet behind him to brace up. Will need sharper punch and more sink in his sets. Gives initial ground against power and doesn't always anchor quickly. Will be 25 years old by opening of fall camp.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1-2

SOURCES TELL US "Most athletic offensive lineman I've done since I took over this area of the country. He's also mean on the field, which you love. I'm projecting him to get stronger once he locks into an NFL strength-and-conditioning program. He's underdeveloped right now. What you see isn't what you are going to ultimately get, in my opinion." -- West area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON Cedric Ogbuehi

BOTTOM LINE Because he's only played one year of FBS football and hasn't been able to fully fill out his frame over the last five years, Bolles will require a projection and conjecture than most of the tackles in this year's draft. He clearly has elite athletic ability and foot quickness, but his lack of core strength and ability to sustain blocks against power across from him is a concern at this time. While he has Pro Bowl potential for a zone-scheme team, his floor will be a little lower than you might like in an early round pick.
    To me, Bolles is only suited to play tackle. We may just have to agree to disagree on this matter.

There is no need to be haughty. We are all Broncos fans here that may have different takes. Please share the scouting reports that you are referencing, e.g., that Bolles is better suited to play guard. I would like to read them. Per Lance Zierlein,

To me, Bolles is only suited to play tackle. We may just have to agree to disagree on this matter.
    Lol at no need to be haughty. I literally just copied what you said to me when you accidentally quoted the wrong person. And said it back to you. All I did was add in that i thought you were wrong after the no disrespect part.

As for the report you listed sure it says he was the most athletic tackle. But the bottom line also said he had the most swing in terms of boom or bust potential. And so far all weíve seen is mostly the bust potential. With the exception of some good games here or there.

To me he has been a failure at tackle. If you donít want to move him to guard fine. Draft a replacement and trade him. But i personally think he could move to guard.

Lol at no need to be haughty. I literally just copied what you said to me when you accidentally quoted the wrong person. And said it back to you. All I did was add in that i thought you were wrong after the no disrespect part.

As for the report you listed sure it says he was the most athletic tackle. But the bottom line also said he had the most swing in terms of boom or bust potential. And so far all we’ve seen is mostly the bust potential. With the exception of some good games here or there.

To me he has been a failure at tackle. If you don’t want to move him to guard fine. Draft a replacement and trade him. But i personally think he could move to guard.
    I think they should draft an OT such as Taylor, Ford, Risner, Williams, Dillard and then let them all compete with best 5 starting. I'll throw a couple OG/OC in there as well with Bradbury and Elgton.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I think they should draft an OT such as Taylor, Ford, Risner, Williams, Dillard and then let them all compete with best 5 starting. I'll throw a couple OG/OC in there as well with Bradbury and Elgton.
    I agree and I personally would prefer it be done at 10. Or at least trade down if they think 10 is too high.

I agree and I personally would prefer it be done at 10. Or at least trade down if they think 10 is too high.
    I would be happy with Risner or Elgton in the 2nd. The others too but they may not fall that far.

Been a little busy at work but here is. Pro football focus scouting report of Bolles.

What he does best:

Quick feet, shows good ability to reach defensive ends.
    Accelerates feet upon contact to generate movement.
    Plays physical with a high motor and excels at finishing blocks.
    Plays long to press defenders with his arms in pass and run-blocking.
    Smart player, good angles to blocks at first and second levels.
    Good puller and shows skill blocking in space on screens.
    Still has room to improve despite his age.

Biggest concern:

Can become overextended at times causing loss of balance and loss of block.

Did not face a lot of top end defensive ends at Utah.

Lighter frame and lacks some core strength (may be a fit at guard in the NFL).

When pass blocking Bolles upper body can get pulled down allowing rusher to gain the edge.
    Concerns about pass blocking at the NFL level (finished middle of the pack amongst FBS tackles in pass blocking efficiency).
    Will be 25 years old by the start of the season.
    Bottom line: Bolles is intriguing because his raw talent speaks for itself on film and he had a solid grading campaign in 2016. He finished with the No. 2 run-blocking grade in the nation at 83.9. Bolles is a much better run-blocker than pass-blocker however as from time to time he overextends allowing the rusher to pull him down and gain the edge. Bolles can probably play in any run scheme but will probably be best in a blocking scheme where he is asked to use his quickness and ability to block on the move. Bolles is solid as a puller and reach blocking on outside zone plays. Bolles biggest challenge right now is pass protecting against NFL defensive ends. While there is room to improve, Bolles will be 25 years old by opening day and there is some concern that he can make strides to his game.

3rd bullet listed under concerns about strength and frame it says may be a fit at guard in the NFL. So I didnít come up with that out of the blue.

But you are correct we will probably just have to agree to disagree. We may not even see Bolles at guard anytime soon Iíd they feel Munchak can fix his issues at tackle.

Iím interested to see how Bolles does with new line coach. He has had the offseason to train hard. He has Munchak and Kuper in his ear. Iím curious to see if he matures with the influence.

Despite his faults I wouldnít call him a bust. He has had stretches of playing well. He just follows it up with poor technique and stupid penalties. More mental then physical IMO.

Same issues with James. He is right there with Bolles in penalties. I think the coaches can clean that up significantly. Or st least I am hoping so.

As for the draft. At #10 I want a defensive stud. Preferably any of White, Oliver or Bush. Give Fangio a new toy!

But after that I would love to see two of the next three picks on olineman. How about best available C in the 2nd round and a OT with in the 3rd or 4 th depending on who is there and who Munchak covets. Upgrade the line and the rest falls into place

As for the report you listed sure it says he was the most athletic tackle. But the bottom line also said he had the most swing in terms of boom or bust potential. And so far all we’ve seen is mostly the bust potential. With the exception of some good games here or there.

To me he has been a failure at tackle. If you don’t want to move him to guard fine. Draft a replacement and trade him. But i personally think he could move to guard.
    And I apologized for my mistake previously in this thread. I would rather trade or cut Bolles than waste time playing him at guard. He either sinks or swims at tackle this season. If Mike Munchak cannot help him, then it may be time to move on from him. I just wish that the Broncos had never selected him as they telegraphed leading up to the draft.
    Last edited by RSH; 04-10-2019 at 12:20 PM.

And I apologized for my mistake previously in this thread. I would rather trade or cut Bolles then waste time playing him at guard. He either sinks or swims at tackle this season. If Mike Munchak cannot help him, then it may be time to move on from him. I just wish that the Broncos had never selected him as they telegraphed leading up to the draft.
    Well itís too soon to deal him without a big cap penalty. Especially cutting him.

If they took a tackle i donít see any issue trying him out at guard first before moving him. I mean obviously the staff would evaluate him in camp. They wouldnít just throw him out in a game if he was failing miserably at it in camp.

And I apologized for my mistake previously in this thread. I would rather trade or cut Bolles then waste time playing him at guard. He either sinks or swims at tackle this season. If Mike Munchak cannot help him, then it may be time to move on from him. I just wish that the Broncos had never selected him as they telegraphed leading up to the draft.
    If anyone can make him the best Olineman he can be, I would think it would be Munchak. However part of him getting the best out of him could end up being switching him to guard. The best 5 that can work together out there should play imo. If that means him at guard so be it. If they can get us to where we have a good run game and good pass protection with very balanced offense, I don't care if they play him at RB. Whatever works.
    ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I am hoping for Dalton Risner in the 2nd, if Garrett Bradbury is gone.
    Bradbury will most certainly be gone. I think the Vikings are a lock to take him in the 1st. Risner might not make it to day 2 either, so I'm hoping for Erik McCoy, who is also an excellent Center. Elgton Jenkins also should be an option on day 2.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!