Interesting article comparing Elway to Belichick as GM

Elway's performance as GM is is one of the most hotly contested debates on this forum. I found an article comparing his drafts to the architect of maybe the most successful team in NFL history, the Patriots. It's worth a read IMO.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...4/#130621224_1

Interesting,,,even if don’t agree with all the scoring,,, but it certainly spells out one thing,,, drafting is an art, not a science,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Interesting,,,even if don’t agree with all the scoring,,, but it certainly spells out one thing,,, drafting is an art, not a science,
    Or, drafting is a gamble based on what we would like to consider an educated guess.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Or, drafting is a gamble based on what we would like to consider an educated guess.
    Hahha I like that too..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Been saying this for years.

To me, teams over think things and put too much into the combine. I get that you can't predict injuries or guys who will make poor choices, even if they have a clean history.
    But, watching game film, having interviews, talking to college coaches and teammates, and looking into their background, should be enough.
    Too many times teams draft based on what they hope the potential is, rather than what is known.

A while back I found an analysis which was strictly objective, for example player drafted was a starter. The scoring system created an index ranking every team. I recall the Broncos and Patriots were very close on the index, both middle of the league. I think the analysis covered four years but canít remember for certain.

BB is a great coach but he hasn't won without Brady, having the GOAT as your QB every season gives BB a massive advantage. The 4 seasons we had PM at QB we were more successful then NE, but its tough to win with Siemian, Oz, Keenum, Lynch, etc...............

Its true that Elway had a big say in picking those QB's but its so hard for any team without a top 3 draft pick to find a franchise QB, and often its more luck then judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    BB is a great coach but he hasn't won without Brady, having the GOAT as your QB every season gives BB a massive advantage. The 4 seasons we had PM at QB we were more successful then NE, but its tough to win with Siemian, Oz, Keenum, Lynch, etc...............

Its true that Elway had a big say in picking those QB's but its so hard for any team without a top 3 draft pick to find a franchise QB, and often its more luck then judgement.
    About half the QBs who have started in the Super Bowl were drafted after the first round including two UDFAs.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    About half the QBs who have started in the Super Bowl were drafted after the first round including two UDFAs.
    How many since 2000 (the modern era) and who were they ?

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    How many since 2000 (the modern era) and who were they ?
    Tom Brady (9 starts) 6th 2000
    Kurt Warner (3 starts) UDFA 1994
    Brad Johnson 6th 1992
    Rich Gannon 4th 1987
    Jake Delhomme UDFA 1997
    Matt Hasselbeck 6th 1998
    Drew Brees 2nd 2001
    Colin Kaepernick 2nd 2011
    Russell Wilson (2 starts) 3rd 2012
    Nick Foles 3rd 2012

Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme were UDFAs and each played against Tom Brady in a Super Bowl.

There are different definitions of what the "modern era" is. Some define it as since the merger which is a recognizable era. Since 2000 seems arbitrary not based on a football reason. Another recognizable era would be since the hash marks were moved. There have been nineteen Super Bowls since 2000; there were thirty-four before. There have been seven rounds of the Draft since 1994.
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-31-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: addendum

I've posted this before. It is written by Mike Klis in November 2017. He has Elway ranked 4th in the NFL in drafting. His method may not be a great way to determine rankings, matter of opinion. It is a different method than the article on this thread. Patriots rank 17th.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...t/73-494620918

Pats seem to always have mediocre, if not bad drafts. They rarely seem to have homegrown talent. Goes to show that drafting well isn't the end-all-be-all. Having a top 5 QB (super difficult to find) and rocking FA. Always be frugal.

Then again... without Tom Brady, this strategy probably comes tumbling down. We'll see if the darn GOAT ever retires.