Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ntary-minicamp

Broncos CB Chris Harris to skip voluntary minicamp

The Denver Broncos will open voluntary veteran minicamp on Tuesday. One veteran will exercise his option to skip the workouts.

Chris Harris continues to avoid Denver, electing to work out with a personal trainer in Dallas instead. The former All-Pro corner has made it clear he wants a new contract.

In a phone interview with Mike Klis of 9News in Denver, Harris insisted skipping workouts with the new coaching staff won't hurt his play in 2019.

"I'm ready,'' Harris said. "This is easily going to be my best year this year. These next three years, I'm about to go crazy. If they want me to be here, I'll go crazy these next three years, I'll guarantee it.''

Harris enters the final year of his contract, set to earn $7.8 million in base salary. His average salary of $8.5 million from his last deal is well below the current market value for a player of his caliber. Coming off his fourth Pro Bowl, Harris wants to correct that skewed number.

The Broncos are electing to hold their pre-draft veteran minicamp with coach Vic Fangio this week. Teams with new coaches are permitted one voluntary camp before the draft so they can work more closely with unfamiliar players. The minicamp allows coaches to be on the field (whereas other Phase One workouts have solely been with the training staff) and run a non-contact, no-padded practice. Basically, the minicamp will allow coaches the first chance to install their systems on the field.

Players like Harris, however, will elect to use this time to exercise the little leverage they have right now -- withholding services -- in hopes to coax a new deal.

Broncos general manager John Elway said he's amicable to giving Harris a new contract but prefers to wait until after the draft.

Until something gives, Harris will continue to train on his own.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

It only becomes a story when he decides to skip the mandatory mini-camp. And if it gets into Training Camp. Until then I hope he enjoys his time off and I trust that he's working out hard on his own.

The Broncos front office is busy with the draft, if they have any inclination to extend him they'll probably do it after the draft.

Dont know who heard Elways presser but it doesnt sound good for CHJ imo.

From CBS 2 hours ago

The needle has not moved on stalled contract negotiations between the Denver Broncos and disgruntled Pro Bowl cornerback Chris Harris Jr. Broncos general manager John Elway, holding his annual pre-draft press conference Tuesday, re-affirmed that nothing has changed between the sides: His post-draft mandate still stands — with authority.

We’re going to talk about (the contract) after the draft,” he said for the umpteeth time this offseason. “That doesn’t mean we’re going to do anything.”

Harris has stayed away from the team’s offseason program, which began April 2 with conditioning workouts and has since included three minicamp practices. They’re all voluntary, as Elway reminded, and Denver’s head honcho isn’t upset with the star corner over his quote-unquote holdout.

“We appreciate all the other guys who are here because they don’t have to be here,” he said, via The Athletic’s Nicki Jhabvala. “I really appreciate them being here voluntarily.”

So what can the mysterious delay in talks — a word Elway intentionally emphasized — be attributed to?

“I haven’t had time,” he said.

Harris has received the continued support of Broncos legends — current and former — who’ve stumped for him to be properly compensated following four Pro Bowl selections and three All-Pro honors. He’s due “just” $7.8 million in base salary for 2019, the final year of his current deal.

There’s a chance, albeit minor, that Harris never returns to the fold. The possibility exists that Elway set the artificial draft deadline because he’s looking to trade the 30-year-old rather than pay him in excess of $12 million per season — at a minimum.

Elway splashed cold water on this notion.

“I haven’t even thought about that,” he said, via Jhabvala. “So, no. I haven’t gotten there. Like I said, we’ll talk about Chris’ contract when the draft’s over and see what they’re looking for.”

A smaller possibility exists that Harris simply waves the white flag and plays out the final year of his contract before hitting unrestricted free agency next offseason. Broncos head coach Vic Fangio, who hasn’t spoken to Harris since the program kicked off, seemed apathetic toward his cause.

“It’s just part of the NFL landscape,” he said last week. “It seems to happen a little bit each year.”

The secondary as a whole is being remodeled in Harris’ absence, with CBs Bryce Callahan (foot) and Isaac Yiadom (shoulder) preemptively sidelined and free-agent addition Kareem Jackson exclusively operating at safety, per Fangio’s wishes. Depth devolved to the point where Trey Johnson, a 2018 undrafted free agent whom Denver signed following a tryout, and De’Vante Bausy, an Alliance of American Football refugee, were seeing significant “reps” during skeletonized practices.

“We had a lot of guys there,” Fangio said. “We had [De’Vante] Bausby and all the guys from last year. They got great work. We had some tryout guys in here in [Quinten] Rollins and Trey Johnson, and I think all the guys got great work. It’s a little tougher in this setting here. You’re not allowed to press, and we don’t want the corners to bang up the receivers too much, but they all got great work.”
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Harris is going to show up at some point and play. He may skip the mini camps but he will be here for training camp. This is a new defense and hes going to have to gain chemistry with our safeties on the backend. He will be in great shape and he knows that he needs to play at an elite level to get the contract he wants, especially coming off an injury.

To be honest, him trying to get a new contract before the season offers some optimism that he will sign a cheaper deal than what his market value would be. If he balls out on the last year of his contract his money will be a lot higher than what hed get now.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Harris is going to show up at some point and play. He may skip the mini camps but he will be here for training camp. This is a new defense and hes going to have to gain chemistry with our safeties on the backend. He will be in great shape and he knows that he needs to play at an elite level to get the contract he wants, especially coming off an injury.

To be honest, him trying to get a new contract before the season offers some optimism that he will sign a cheaper deal than what his market value would be. If he balls out on the last year of his contract his money will be a lot higher than what hed get now.
    Weve seen this play out in not such a good way for Denver with Malik Jackson and Brock Osweiler.

However CHJ is much older than both of those guys so I guess in a sense I can agree with Elway.

Why over pay another aging player wholl be on the wrong side of 30.

However John just did exactly that with Kareem Jackson so I could sympathize with where CHJ is coming from!

Itll definitely get interesting but hopefully everything turns out to work in the Broncos favor.

Now Harris has said pay me or trade me. I dont see how ticking off the best slot corner and top 3 overall corner in the league is a wise move by Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by kingelway7 View Post
    Now Harris has said pay me or trade me. I don’t see how ticking off the best slot corner and top 3 overall corner in the league is a wise move by Elway.
    I don't agree at all how Elway has handled this. Telling Harris that this won't be addressed until after the draft has to feel like Elway wants to move on. From Harris' view it's like great, obviously you're going to pick a corner early and use that as leverage to not offer me the money I deserve.

Look from a pure cost efficiency and optimization standpoint, it makes sense. But these situations don't happen in vacuums. Players take notice of the organizations who take care of their leaders.

IMO, Elway has done nothing wrong given the cap's limitations and the fact that the Broncos helped make Chris Harris.

He went from a UDFA and learning behind All Pro Champ Bailey,
    to him accepting a team friendly contract while being a top CB
    but now with pay me or trade me mentality.

I wonder if this is about money, respect, or being on a more competitive team?

I prefer Denver trade him for a younger DLmen that will make CB's/DB's jobs easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    IMO, Elway has done nothing wrong given the cap's limitations and the fact that the Broncos helped make Chris Harris.

He went from a UDFA and learning behind All Pro Champ Bailey,
    to him accepting a team friendly contract while being a top CB
    but now with pay me or trade me mentality.

I wonder if this is about money, respect, or being on a more competitive team?

I prefer Denver trade him for a younger DLmen that will make CB's/DB's jobs easier.
    I'd prefer they pay a top cb who has done everything he could to be loyal to the team and organization and leader in the locker room including taking a "team freindly " deal to be in Denver. If Denver enjoyed Wolfe and Harris doing that then they should take care of both cause players do take notice. Harris deserves to be taken care of imo. He has been nothing but loyal and a top cb.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I'd prefer they pay a top cb who has done everything he could to be loyal to the team and organization and leader in the locker room including taking a "team freindly " deal to be in Denver. If Denver enjoyed Wolfe and Harris doing that then they should take care of both cause players do take notice. Harris deserves to be taken care of imo. He has been nothing but loyal and a top cb.
    You and I have different versions when it comes to "loyalty."

My version of loyalty does not include putting the GM who is focusing on the draft and acquiring FA players on blast just because he's upset with a contract he signed.

Why sign a contract then complain about it later?
    (Pay me or trade me???)

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    If Harris want $15 million, hes not getting it.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    You and I have different versions when it comes to "loyalty."

My version of loyalty does not include putting the GM who is focusing on the draft and acquiring FA players on blast just because he's upset with a contract he signed.

Why sign a contract then complain about it later?
    (Pay me or trade me???)
    So when Elway went to Dumervil and asked him to take a paycut, where does that fall on the loyalty scale? He offered a contract and then complained about it later (take less money or get cut)

Players and organizations will use leverage when they have it, that's how the business works. But Harris has already played on a contract far below his market value for years. He's never complained about it until now, which makes sense as he is entering the last year of the deal, usually the time teams will extend players they want to keep. It's time for him to get paid like a top corner and a leader of this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    So when Elway went to Dumervil and asked him to take a paycut, where does that fall on the loyalty scale? He offered a contract and then complained about it later (take less money or get cut)

Players and organizations will use leverage when they have it, that's how the business works. But Harris has already played on a contract far below his market value for years. He's never complained about it until now, which makes sense as he is entering the last year of the deal, usually the time teams will extend players they want to keep. It's time for him to get paid like a top corner and a leader of this defense.
    Dumervil's contract is a good point. According to an article, I read, "The Broncos need more cap space, as they shore up their interior defensive line, cornerback and running back positions." Fast forward.

The nuance is what's beneficial to the team vs. the individual player.

I dislike Harris' approach more than anything given the timing.

I love Harris but if he doesnt want to honor his contract, trade him
    No hostages, gotta move forward.