Bronx - My one and only Denver Broncos mock draft

Here we go -

Round One (10th) - Devin White, ILB - LSU

I like Daniel Jones and even considered Cody Ford at OG but there were worrying question marks over both. I think White is an elite talent and brings a tenacious attitude just like Chubb did a year ago.

Having 2 young LB studs in Chubb and White, along with Miller, will give Fangio plenty to terrorize QB's. White has the speed to cover TE's / WR's and has an attitude and work effort that I love to see.

Round Two (41st) - Erik McCoy, OG / C - Texas A&M

I think its important to invest a high round pick on the OL as its still a works in progress and such an important part to an offenses success. McCoy has a very good technique and was statistically the best pass blocker in college last year at any OL position.

He is strong and anchors well and can move people in the run game, and he brings a bit of nasty and attitude which is always welcome in the OL. I would play him at guard but it gives us flexibility if Fangio wants to have McCoy at center and McGovern at center.

Round Three (71st) - David Long, CB - Michigan

Not the strongest or the biggest corner but has an outstanding technique and fights for every ball, rarely beaten in college and has good speed. After losing Roby and Langley converting to another position we are in need of another good coverage corner, Long has the ability to play inside or outside.

Round Four (125th) - Ross Pierschbacher, C / OG - Alabama

After losing Paradis and Turner plus question marks all over the OL I am happy double dipping with 2 lineman in the first 4 picks, lets make a commitment to inject some talent and competition in here.

I also like getting 2 young guys with potential because they will be working with Munchak. Pierschbacher has a very good technique and plays with quickness, he also has experience at center and guard, he needs to add some power and mass but has all the tools for Munchak to work with.

Round Five (148th) - Jacob Dolegala, QB - Central Connecticut

I would really like to add a QB with potential who can come in and study with an experienced veteran at the helm and Dolegala seems a good fit here. A small school QB who is untested against good competition so it is a big step-up for him but in round 5 you need to take chances. He has great size, arm strength, character, and throws a nice looking ball. Impressed at his pro day.

Round Five (156th) - Jamal Custis, WR - Syracuse

Another young weapon to throw into the Broncos rebuild mix, and with Sanders probably on his last year we need these young ones developing and coming through.

Custis is a tall receiver at 6-4 with decent build and runs a 4.5, he plays the ball well in the air and has a good catch radius. He has spent most of his time in the slot and is probably best suited there as he struggles against press coverage. A good RZ target and can be a mis-match anywhere on the field.

Round Six (182nd) - Daniel Helm, TE - Duke

A decent athlete and build, can get separation and is a useful blocker. A young TE to throw into the mix as insurance if Butt / Fumagalli have injury issues in camp and can play ST's. Heuerman will go in as the starter.

Round Seven (237th) - Ricky Walker, DL - Virginia Tech

A big body to throw into the rotation or at least have a look in camp. Walker is known for being a disruptive force against the run and had good production last season notching up 49 tackles and 10.5 tackles for a loss.

Thoughts / Questions welcome

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Here we go -

Round One (10th) - Devin White, ILB - LSU

I like Daniel Jones and even considered Cody Ford at OG but there were worrying question marks over both. I think White is an elite talent and brings a tenacious attitude just like Chubb did a year ago.

Having 2 young LB studs in Chubb and White, along with Miller, will give Fangio plenty to terrorize QB's. White has the speed to cover TE's / WR's and has an attitude and work effort that I love to see.

Round Two (41st) - Erik McCoy, OG / C - Texas A&M

I think its important to invest a high round pick on the OL as its still a works in progress and such an important part to an offenses success. McCoy has a very good technique and was statistically the best pass blocker in college last year at any OL position.

He is strong and anchors well and can move people in the run game, and he brings a bit of nasty and attitude which is always welcome in the OL. I would play him at guard but it gives us flexibility if Fangio wants to have McCoy at center and McGovern at center.

Round Three (71st) - David Long, CB - Michigan

Not the strongest or the biggest corner but has an outstanding technique and fights for every ball, rarely beaten in college and has good speed. After losing Roby and Langley converting to another position we are in need of another good coverage corner, Long has the ability to play inside or outside.

Round Four (125th) - Ross Pierschbacher, C / OG - Alabama

After losing Paradis and Turner plus question marks all over the OL I am happy double dipping with 2 lineman in the first 4 picks, lets make a commitment to inject some talent and competition in here.

I also like getting 2 young guys with potential because they will be working with Munchak. Pierschbacher has a very good technique and plays with quickness, he also has experience at center and guard, he needs to add some power and mass but has all the tools for Munchak to work with.

Round Five (148th) - Jacob Dolegala, QB - Central Connecticut

I would really like to add a QB with potential who can come in and study with an experienced veteran at the helm and Dolegala seems a good fit here. A small school QB who is untested against good competition so it is a big step-up for him but in round 5 you need to take chances. He has great size, arm strength, character, and throws a nice looking ball. Impressed at his pro day.

Round Five (156th) - Jamal Custis, WR - Syracuse

Another young weapon to throw into the Broncos rebuild mix, and with Sanders probably on his last year we need these young ones developing and coming through.

Custis is a tall receiver at 6-4 with decent build and runs a 4.5, he plays the ball well in the air and has a good catch radius. He has spent most of his time in the slot and is probably best suited there as he struggles against press coverage. A good RZ target and can be a mis-match anywhere on the field.

Round Six (182nd) - Daniel Helm, TE - Duke

A decent athlete and build, can get separation and is a useful blocker. A young TE to throw into the mix as insurance if Butt / Fumagalli have injury issues in camp and can play ST's. Heuerman will go in as the starter.

Round Seven (237th) - Ricky Walker, DL - Virginia Tech

A big body to throw into the rotation or at least have a look in camp. Walker is known for being a disruptive force against the run and had good production last season notching up 49 tackles and 10.5 tackles for a loss.

Thoughts / Questions welcome
    Thank you for posting this mock. The first two picks was great but I really haven't heard of the last few picks. Thanks again

rea

In regards to your first pick, take a look at the recent poll, and I think you'll see our fan base prefers the other Devin.The best part of your mock is the second round. Don't think he'll be there, but if he is, I would think we'd nab him. I don't think we need to double dip @ guard / Center. We have Sam Jones in the wings, I would think one should suffice. Agree that we need a CB, TE and WR as well. Gonna look into your choice for the late round QB....haven't seen anyone mention his name yet.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    In regards to your first pick, take a look at the recent poll, and I think you'll see our fan base prefers the other Devin.The best part of your mock is the second round. Don't think he'll be there, but if he is, I would think we'd nab him. I don't think we need to double dip @ guard / Center. We have Sam Jones in the wings, I would think one should suffice. Agree that we need a CB, TE and WR as well. Gonna look into your choice for the late round QB....haven't seen anyone mention his name yet.
    Thanks for the feedback

I've looked into both LB's a lot and much prefer Devin White but each to their own.

Regarding McCoy, obviously I don't know if he will be there or not but I did go on lots of different draft sites and mock drafts on every player I picked to make sure they were not unrealistic and McCoy was available for us in round 2 the vast majority of the time.

Double dipping the OL - I see it as a perfect chance to inject some talent and competition with a guy like Munchak molding them, plus its a good OL draft depth wise so I think it makes a lot of sense taking 2 interior guys early.

For too long the OL has been a problem and although I like Sam Jones as a prospect to compete we have lost Paradis and Turner, with Leary coming off a bad injury and inconsistent when he plays and Veldheer who is on his last legs. We need to start building a good young OL.

Like you, I hope Denver drafts two O-Linemen by the fourth round. Instead of picking two inside guys, maybe they should get an inside and an outside guy. Turner left in free agency and Elway hasn't re-signed Veldheer. Depending on what happens with Chris Harris, he may not be able to do that.

So, there is no known quality depth at T. Wilkinson had seven starts at RG and a few snaps at T. He may be a candidate for Swing Tackle, but we don't know. If Barclay makes the team, it isn't clear whether he is inside, outside or both as Turner was.

Sam Jones got TC/preseason reps at C and G. Falah is a C/G, Schlottmann can play several OL spots and Knappe is a T. But, those guys may not make the team. If a FA Swing Tackle isn't signed, they are probably planning to draft one.

Good Tackles tend to go sooner than Guards. Maybe consider Greg Little, Dalton Risner, Caleb McGary or David Edwards at #41.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I also would love two OL early, would be fine if that was round one and two. I really do not see Leary being here in 2020, so I see OT and 2 guards as holes on the roster. As Sam pointed out, we really have no OT depth and as last year proved, you need at least 7 quality guys. Risner and Ford would give us some flexibility, love Dillard as an option to move Bolles inside and get more athletic at the OG position,...If we grabbed one of these in round one, I would love McCoy round two.

Until we have the Lines set, White just feels like a luxury pick to me, but good mock.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I didn't realize we haven't re-signed Veldheer so you could swap one of those interior lineman for a OT, but we are lacking all over the OL so I just want the 2 best prospects available and if they are interior lineman then so be it.

Dillard is an option if we trade down but if we stick at 10 then we need to just get the best available talent, which would be someone like White, Oliver, Hockensen

It all depends on what Elway does with #10. Some on this board want him to trade up for Murray. Some want him to take a QB either Murray, Haskins or Lock. Some, like me, want him to take BPA hoping that other teams take QBs ahead of Denver dropping a better than QB prospect to #10. Some want him to trade back and accumulate draft capital. IMO it would be cool if Ed Oliver was still there at #10 as a result of other teams reaching. I guess I'm just not sold on the strength of this year's QB class.

It seems like this year's draft pool is strong at positions of need like O-Line and D-Line. BPA at #10 might be a Backer, but the highest Elway has drafted an Inside Backer is #67 in the third round of 2011, Nate Irving. Josey Jewell was #106 in the third last year. If Elway goes BPA, it could be one of the Devins, a D-Lineman, an O-Lineman, Pass Rusher or a Corner.

Regardless of what happens at #10, there should be decent Line prospects on both sides of the ball available through the fourth or fifth round. Denver only has ten O-Linemen under contract at the moment. Their O-Line needs an infusion of talent. They could justify taking three of them this year.

Most of the mock drafters have Denver taking Drew Lock at #10. We'll see. It could be an Elway ploy. Something went right with Denver's draft last year starting with taking Bradley Chubb as BPA. I hope those involved in last year's draft work well with the new coaching staff and listen to each other to make the best possible choices with no reaching.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-07-2019 at 06:56 AM. Reason: lower case cap

If the Broncos are sold on one of the Qbs being a legit franchise qb in their opinion than they should go grab him. Do what it takes as other teams have been to get their franchise qbs in recent years.

If they are not sold then take the BPA. I am cool with Devin White. I am also cool with a big trade to get a franchise qb if that is what the team wants to do.

Like the Mock being heavy in OL+TE. I really think we need to improve our team pass protection. Think Munchak will solve some of our coaching issues but we still need the give the coach some talent to work with.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    If the Broncos are sold on one of the Qbs being a legit franchise qb in their opinion than they should go grab him. Do what it takes as other teams have been to get their franchise qbs in recent years.

If they are not sold then take the BPA. I am cool with Devin White. I am also cool with a big trade to get a franchise qb if that is what the team wants to do.

Like the Mock being heavy in OL+TE. I really think we need to improve our team pass protection. Think Munchak will solve some of our coaching issues but we still need the give the coach some talent to work with.
    I completely agree, we desperately need that franchise QB and to learn under Flacco for a season would be invaluable...... just like Mahomes learnt under Smith in KC.

I just don't like any of the QB's in this draft and I'm really not a Lock fan, not sure what many see in him. Out of them all I like Daniel Jones and was tempted to take him at 10 but theres just too many question marks with him for me to pull the trigger at 10.

If we traded down then I would be happy taking him.

I didn't realize we haven't re-signed Veldheer so you could swap one of those interior lineman for a OT, but we are lacking all over the OL so I just want the 2 best prospects available and if they are interior lineman then so be it.

Dillard is an option if we trade down but if we stick at 10 then we need to just get the best available talent, which would be someone like White, Oliver, Hockensen
    Scratch that, I forgot we signed James to play RT. I'll stick with the 2 interior lineman

Scratch that, I forgot we signed James to play RT. I'll stick with the 2 interior lineman
    No Swing Tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    No Swing Tackle.
    We have Elijah Wilkinson and Don Barclay under contract, I imagine they will compete for a back-up swing tackle role in camp

We have Elijah Wilkinson and Don Barclay under contract, I imagine they will compete for a back-up swing tackle role in camp
    Well, at the moment there are ten guys. The top five are probably Bolles, Leary (if he can play), McGovern, Wilkinson and James. If Leary doesn't make the team or is on PUP, the sixth guy might be Jones. After that, you have Barclay, Schlottmann, Falah and Knappe. Barclay might be able to fill in at RT, but I don't think you want to see him on the left. He plays inside, too. Of the other three, Schlottmann might have a chance since he can play inside/outside, but we won't know until the pads and hats go on in TC and the hitting begins.

On game day, seven O-Linemen are active and suited; the starting five and a G/C plus the Swing Tackle who must must be able to play both sides or shuffle someone. Ja'Wuan James might be able to shuffle to the Left, but he hasn't played there much. Ryan Harris did it in 2015 quite well, so it's possible.

At least fifteen O-Linemen are needed for TC. If Leary isn't ready to play, more will be needed. Denver needs an infusion of talent on the O-Line. Drafting a Tackle, Guard and C/G is justifiable IMO. Of the ten O-Linemen now under contract, six came into the league as UDFAs.

Here is my Mock Draft

10: R1P10 QB DREW LOCK MISSOURI

41: R2P9 LB MACK WILSON ALABAMA

71: R3P7 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M

125: R4P23 WR EMMANUEL HALL MISSOURI

148: R5P10 G RYAN BATES PENN STATE

156: R5P18 RB JUSTICE HILL OKLAHOMA STATE

182: R6P9 QB CLAYTON THORSON NORTHWESTERN

237: R7P23 S AMANI HOOKER IOWA