Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Not sure of the reasoning behind picking a QB I the first round this year. What are any of you seeing that makes sense?

To me all indications from everything they have done so far indicate they are not drafting a QB.

They just signed Flacco. Are they really going to undermine it by putting a development QB in the room? Would create more turmoil then any of the rookie QBs are worth IMO. Debatable whether any are “franchise” worthy.

They are also still paying several million for the Keenum blunder. Now add another few million for a QB to sit on the bench for a couple seasons?

Murray is intriguing but he is an all in move. An organization and HC has to build a team to best utilize his skills. Just not seeing that with the Broncos. It will be fun to watch him from afar.

My wish is a defensive stud ends up at #10. One of Oliver, Williams, White would be my pick. Then the second or move back into first for best available center/ olineman.

Would love to see some free agent moves or trades to fill some holes too. The D. Lee trade is interesting.

Maybe a vet TE instead of drafting one. A guy to help the young guys develop. Perhaps signing Max Williams (if healthy) for cheap. His experience with Flacco in Balt. could be valuable.

Elway needs this year’s draft to add impact players. At least a couple starters or heavy rotation players. Not seeing a development QB in that role. Honestly could see them not picking one late either. They have Hogan and Grayson to hold the clipboard. Flacco is a win now move. Time to win now!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    So we passed on Wilson, passed on Mahomes, didn’t make a move for Baker, and now we shouldn’t go after Murray? This is why we are mediocre. Murray is going to be special, he will be every bit of the 3 mentioned above. I just hope the Raiders don’t wind up with him, facing him and Mahomes 4 times a year while we trot out retread turds and mid round duds will be ugly to watch.
    I would think, out of any fan base, Bronco fans would believe that Flacco's best years are in front of him. Elway won his SBs late in his career. He was never a "stats" QB, he was a crunch QB. The only years John threw more than 25 TDs was after hitting 35. What Elway did was win games, what Flacco does is win games. As a GM, Elway's wheelhouse is taking a crafty QB adding a great defense and solid running game. It worked for him, it worked for Manning, and I think it can work for Flacco.

I may be reading tea leaves, but Elways contract runs through 2021, Only one player is under contract for 2022 (James, add Chubb if we pick up 5th year). Flacco, VM, newly signed Jackson and Callhoun all have expiring contracts in 2021. I think this is Elways last window and I do not think he wants to spend it trying to develop a rookie QB.

I believe we will see a very aggressive draft targeting the best 3-4 guys we can get vs 7-8 total picks and a rookie QB would have to blow Elway away to be one of those top 3-4 guys.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Not sure of the reasoning behind picking a QB I the first round this year. What are any of you seeing that makes sense?

To me all indications from everything they have done so far indicate they are not drafting a QB.

They just signed Flacco. Are they really going to undermine it by putting a development QB in the room? Would create more turmoil then any of the rookie QBs are worth IMO. Debatable whether any are “franchise” worthy.

They are also still paying several million for the Keenum blunder. Now add another few million for a QB to sit on the bench for a couple seasons?

Murray is intriguing but he is an all in move. An organization and HC has to build a team to best utilize his skills. Just not seeing that with the Broncos. It will be fun to watch him from afar.

My wish is a defensive stud ends up at #10. One of Oliver, Williams, White would be my pick. Then the second or move back into first for best available center/ olineman.

Would love to see some free agent moves or trades to fill some holes too. The D. Lee trade is interesting.

Maybe a vet TE instead of drafting one. A guy to help the young guys develop. Perhaps signing Max Williams (if healthy) for cheap. His experience with Flacco in Balt. could be valuable.

Elway needs this year’s draft to add impact players. At least a couple starters or heavy rotation players. Not seeing a development QB in that role. Honestly could see them not picking one late either. They have Hogan and Grayson to hold the clipboard. Flacco is a win now move. Time to win now!
    That Qb they just acquired is an aging, injury prone vet who can be cut at any time with no cap hit. There is never going to be a better setup for a young guy to come into and sit until he is ready

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    I would think, out of any fan base, Bronco fans would believe that Flacco's best years are in front of him. Elway won his SBs late in his career. He was never a "stats" QB, he was a crunch QB. The only years John threw more than 25 TDs was after hitting 35. What Elway did was win games, what Flacco does is win games. As a GM, Elway's wheelhouse is taking a crafty QB adding a great defense and solid running game. It worked for him, it worked for Manning, and I think it can work for Flacco.

I may be reading tea leaves, but Elways contract runs through 2021, Only one player is under contract for 2022 (James, add Chubb if we pick up 5th year). Flacco, VM, newly signed Jackson and Callhoun all have expiring contracts in 2021. I think this is Elways last window and I do not think he wants to spend it trying to develop a rookie QB.

I believe we will see a very aggressive draft targeting the best 3-4 guys we can get vs 7-8 total picks and a rookie QB would have to blow Elway away to be one of those top 3-4 guys.
    Your take is supported by Broncos History. The most success enjoyed by Denver QBs came at the end of their careers: Frank Tripucka; Charley Johnson; Craig Morton; John Elway; and, Peyton Manning.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    That Qb they just acquired is an aging, injury prone vet who can be cut at any time with no cap hit. There is never going to be a better setup for a young guy to come into and sit until he is ready
    I am expecting a bit more from Flacco then you are. He is an experienced professional. He will have the team organized and in the right play at the right time. Not expecting a dynamic playmaker. Just a consistent leader “managing” the game with enough talent to still make plays when needed.

JMO but I think Elway is determined to compete over the next couple years and is betting that Flacco can make it happen if he gets enough help.

Flacco may not be your cup of tea, but I think he is Elway’s. I also don’t see Elway casually cutting Flacco as you describe. He is not embarrassing him in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Your take is supported by Broncos History. The most success enjoyed by Denver QBs came at the end of their careers: Frank Tripucka; Charley Johnson; Craig Morton; John Elway; and, Peyton Manning.
    I only go back as far as Morton, but he was what made me a Bronco fan. It was not his victory, but defeat. Was watching him in the booth on a Monday night game SD vs Raiders. SD wins and they were in the playoffs, they lose Denver was in. Listened to the back story of Morton during the game, SD won an Morton did not get his last shot. Follow year was strike shorten, and then Elway in 83.

Morton became a Bronco at age 34, just like Flacco...we have some history behind us

I am expecting a bit more from Flacco then you are. He is an experienced professional. He will have the team organized and in the right play at the right time. Not expecting a dynamic playmaker. Just a consistent leader “managing” the game with enough talent to still make plays when needed.

JMO but I think Elway is determined to compete over the next couple years and is betting that Flacco can make it happen if he gets enough help.

Flacco may not be your cup of tea, but I think he is Elway’s. I also don’t see Elway casually cutting Flacco as you describe. He is not embarrassing him in that way.
    If that is true, maybe we will see an infusion of talent into the O-Line during the upcoming Draft. At the moment there are ten OL under contract and at least fifteen are needed for TC. The best five of those have a couple of marginal members. IMO Denver needs to pick a couple of O-Linemen in the first four rounds. I think one needs to be a T because there is currently no Swing Tackle after the departure of Turner and Veldheer. At the moment Denver has eight picks in the Draft. As far as I'm concerned, they could easily use three of them on O-Line.

I expect Flacco to play well, although not a pro bowl level.
    He’s in the twilight of his career so having a young guy who can develop for a couple of years while Joe is under contract makes sense.
    Having a young guy who isn’t ready to start day 1 (and none in this class probably will be) without a capable veteran on the team doesn’t make sense.

I only go back as far as Morton, but he was what made me a Bronco fan. It was not his victory, but defeat. Was watching him in the booth on a Monday night game SD vs Raiders. SD wins and they were in the playoffs, they lose Denver was in. Listened to the back story of Morton during the game, SD won an Morton did not get his last shot. Follow year was strike shorten, and then Elway in 83.

Morton became a Bronco at age 34, just like Flacco...we have some history behind us
    Another item of Denver Football trivia is that none of Denver's most successful QBs were drafted by the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Another item of Denver Football trivia is that none of Denver's most successful QBs were drafted by the Broncos.
    Have we ever had a drafted QB win a playoff game? Griese got us there but was hurt going into playoffs. Brock got replaced. Never thought of it before.

I would think, out of any fan base, Bronco fans would believe that Flacco's best years are in front of him. Elway won his SBs late in his career.
    Flacco is not a HoF QB. At this point in his career he is a fringe starter, probably with only one or two years left. Not at all comparable to Elway or Manning. Flacco's best years were barely above average and they are done. Being a Broncos fan with history winning with older QBs does not mean we have to be delusional.

Have we ever had a drafted QB win a playoff game? Griese got us there but was hurt going into playoffs. Brock got replaced. Never thought of it before.
    Tim Tebow.

Duh, thanks. Only one of the great moments in our history.

To expect anything significantly different than what Flacco has displayed for the last ~half decade would be foolish. He has proven himself to be among the worst starting QBs in the league for the last 4 years and it would make far more sense to expect that to continue. An aging QB who has played poorly for 4 straight years with an injury occurring in each seasons should not be expected to someone find the fountain of youth as he finds himself learning a new system, with new timing to be learned with new teammates.

If anything, given his play and his newfound circumstances, it would be most reasonable to expect Flacco's worst season yet. Hopefully we have a 1st round QB like Haskins or Lock waiting in the wings, we will need someone to take over. I trust Elway and believe he recognizes this, which is why he didn't alter Flacco's deal, leaving it so that Flacco can easily be released when he inevitably loses his starting position.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    To expect anything significantly different than what Flacco has displayed for the last ~half decade would be foolish. He has proven himself to be among the worst starting QBs in the league for the last 4 years and it would make far more sense to expect that to continue. An aging QB who has played poorly for 4 straight years with an injury occurring in each seasons should not be expected to someone find the fountain of youth as he finds himself learning a new system, with new timing to be learned with new teammates.

If anything, given his play and his newfound circumstances, it would be most reasonable to expect Flacco's worst season yet. Hopefully we have a 1st round QB like Haskins or Lock waiting in the wings, we will need someone to take over. I trust Elway and believe he recognizes this, which is why he didn't alter Flacco's deal, leaving it so that Flacco can easily be released when he inevitably loses his starting position.
    This argument could have been made of Elway in his career. Under Reeves he never had a completion % greater than 58.6%. Last three years of Reeves he had a high of 15 TDs in a season and threw more INTs than TDs. No way could he learn a new scheme and be better than the previous 4 years at age 33? Statistically his best year was year one with Bum, and of course we know of the success later with Shanny.

John Harbaugh reminds me of Reeves actually. Great coach, but does not try to win offensively.

I believe Rich is going to be Flacco's most aggressive play caller he has ever had. If we commit to an OL in this draft, I would bet Flacco puts up his best carreer year ever. All the pieces are there for him except OL and maybe TE. I believe Royce is going to be a huge contributor this year and combined with Lindsay, we get 2000K rushing yards from the pair.
    Last edited by MHSalute; 04-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.