Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Denver's current use of top 30 visits

Every year, each NFL team gets 30 private visits to conduct with draft prospects. These visits are commonly used to fly to the athlete and work him out or to fly the athlete to your team facilities for what amounts to a 24 hour job interview, which usually includes dining with coaches/FO, white board work, and character assessment.

Denver has used 20 out of these 30 visits according to http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam and https://mobile.twitter.com/JEdwar247...85986934644736

Here are the prospects visited with, the position they play, and the school they are entering the draft from.

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
    Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
    Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
    Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
    Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern

N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
    Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
    Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno

Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss
    Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State
    Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State
    Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College

Khalen Saunders, NT, Western Illinois
    Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State
    Kingsley Keke, DT/3-4DE, Texas A&M

Justin Hollins, OLB, Oregon

Kris Boyd, CB, Texas
    Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston

Any guesses as to who will be among our final 10 visits?

If I had to guess maybe some LBs and OL would be my guess for the last 10

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Looking at that list almost guarantees a QB at 10.

All the other visits are lower round projections.

Depends on who they call for the last 10 visits though.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post

That's how I see it as well, every year the draft is a surprise though. Nobody thought we would have taken Chubb. Although, if he would have gone to Cleveland like everyone thought he was I wander what would have been Denvers choice? Ward? Rosen?

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

We brought in 4 Quarterbacks last year. This list means absolutely nothing when projecting who were are actually going to select. Last year we picked two players from our visits, Jewel and Bierria.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...-the-nfl-draft

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Every year, each NFL team gets 30 private visits to conduct with draft prospects. These visits are commonly used to fly to the athlete and work him out or to fly the athlete to your team facilities for what amounts to a 24 hour job interview, which usually includes dining with coaches/FO, white board work, and character assessment.

Denver has used 20 out of these 30 visits according to http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam and https://mobile.twitter.com/JEdwar247...85986934644736

Here are the prospects visited with, the position they play, and the school they are entering the draft from.

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
    Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
    Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
    Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
    Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern

N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
    Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
    Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno

Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss
    Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State
    Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State
    Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College

Khalen Saunders, NT, Western Illinois
    Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State
    Kingsley Keke, DT/3-4DE, Texas A&M

Justin Hollins, OLB, Oregon

Kris Boyd, CB, Texas
    Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston

Any guesses as to who will be among our final 10 visits?
    I would like to see us visit with Devin White, and Devin Bush, Mack Wilson, T.J. Hockenson, Jonah Williams, Deandre Baker,Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida, Andy Isabella.

I realize you can't draft all these guys, but they are often Free Agents someday. Why not get to know a couple of them and see if someday you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    I would like to see us visit with Devin White, and Devin Bush, Mack Wilson, T.J. Hockenson, Jonah Williams, Deandre Baker,Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida, Andy Isabella.

I realize you can't draft all these guys, but they are often Free Agents someday. Why not get to know a couple of them and see if someday you are interested.
    They may not want to tip their hand on interest in a specific player. This is smokescreen season. I wouldn't get too invested on who visits and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    They may not want to tip their hand on interest in a specific player. This is smokescreen season. I wouldn't get too invested on who visits and who doesn't.
    I totally agree with you. They have looked at some guys already they have no interest in drafting and some that I think they hope will fall to them at later picks. I am sure they saw some guys at workouts, Senior Bowl that they will be eager to take at the right draft spots and don't need to officially bring them in.

It would be of the most idiotic things to use one if your 30 visits as only a smokescreen.

Denver clearly wants to take a QB, but the position comes with a leadership responsibility and a spot as the face of the franchise. That's not something you should take lightly, and I dont think the team does after Paxton.

So while you might be able to tell that player x is a stud on film, you can't get a full appreciation for his demeanor or personality until you spend some time with him. Last year they also clearly wanted to go QB, they decided that the personality+talent combo of Mayfield and Darnold were what they wanted, and that Rosen and Allen weren't quite it for them. They got leapfrogged, and I'm sure this year they will be doing the leaping to ensure they get their QB

If somehow they screw up like last year and miss out on their top QBs, I'm sure they will take a falling stud that they had rated right despite not meeting with him. Much like Chubb last year, the team has not had any meeting at all with Q Williams, N Bosa, E Oliver, D Bush, and only a 15 minutes sit down with White at the combine.

It would be of the most idiotic things to use one if your 30 visits as only a smokescreen.

Denver clearly wants to take a QB, but the position comes with a leadership responsibility and a spot as the face of the franchise. That's not something you should take lightly, and I dont think the team does after Paxton.

So while you might be able to tell that player x is a stud on film, you can't get a full appreciation for his demeanor or personality until you spend some time with him. Last year they also clearly wanted to go QB, they decided that the personality+talent combo of Mayfield and Darnold were what they wanted, and that Rosen and Allen weren't quite it for them. They got leapfrogged, and I'm sure this year they will be doing the leaping to ensure they get their QB

If somehow they screw up like last year and miss out on their top QBs, I'm sure they will take a falling stud that they had rated right despite not meeting with him. Much like Chubb last year, the team has not had any meeting at all with Q Williams, N Bosa, E Oliver, D Bush, and only a 15 minutes sit down with White at the combine.
    It would be completely idiotic if you didn't use any of the top 30 visits as a smokescreen. I'm sure a lot of the visits there is some interest there but the draft is also a mind game you're playing against 31 other teams.

If there is even a remote chance we have at getting Q Williams we should set the record for the quickest draft pick ever!! Baker and possibly Sam Darnold are the only guys I would have taken over Chubb last year.

It would be completely idiotic if you didn't use any of the top 30 visits as a smokescreen. I'm sure a lot of the visits there is some interest there but the draft is also a mind game you're playing against 31 other teams.
    It would be idiotic to waste one as a smokescreen. There are plenty of other ways to smokescreen without wasting a valuable visit.

You wonít draft 30 players. But you donít sign up to pay a player millions without having some sort of feel for his personality and IQ level compared to the competition.

It would be idiotic to waste one as a smokescreen. There are plenty of other ways to smokescreen without wasting a valuable visit.

You won’t draft 30 players. But you don’t sign up to pay a player millions without having some sort of feel for his personality and IQ level compared to the competition.
    The off-season is long. The 30 visits are one aspect. They could've made up their minds on a player at the Shrine game, the Senior Bowl, the Combine or a Pro Day. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to bring in a player as a smokescreen and it would be a terrible strategy to only bring in players you were really interested in.

We signed Chubb last year without bringing him in for a visit. Does that mean we were gambling because we didn't bring him in for a visit to assess him.

Visits are important. All I'm saying is I wouldn't put too much stock into it either way as far as the teams interest goes. Just find it funny when people freak out when a specific player doesn't visit.
    Last edited by JW7; 04-08-2019 at 07:56 AM.

The off-season is long. The 30 visits are one aspect. They could've made up their minds on a player at the Shrine game, the Senior Bowl, the Combine or a Pro Day. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to bring in a player as a smokescreen and it would be a terrible strategy to only bring in players you were really interested in.

We signed Chubb last year without bringing him in for a visit. Does that mean we were gambling because we didn't bring him in for a visit to assess him.

Visits are important. All I'm saying is I wouldn't put too much stock into it either way as far as the teams interest goes. Just find it funny when people freak out when a specific player doesn't visit.
    1. Elway said Chubb was their #1 rated player but they didnít bring him in because they didnít expect him to be on the board at 5. They took him without interview and changed their strategy when the Browns passed. You have to be prepared to throw your strategy out the window when the draft doesnít fall how you plan.

2. Who is upset about anyone not being brought in for a visit? Iíve said nothing on those terms. All Iíve said is it appears they are targeting a QB at 10. And the other visits are for who they expect to be available at later round picks. You obviously donít waste your 30 visits on the top 30 prospects. Because you can only draft one of them. Itís obviously wise to interview some players projected around your later picks that youíre more likely to take.

But I find it hard to believe that ďsmokescreenĒ is the answer for why they arenít visiting with/interviewing any other positions for first round. But I also said we will have to see who the last 10 visits are. They very well could be all defense or tackles projected first round and they may occur closer to draft week.

These visits are valuable in order to at least rank players overall and at their position. How impressive is Murray compared to Lock for instance. At this time it looks like the Broncos have very little chance of getting Murray but a visit can maybe show his value relative to Locks or maybe Lock is more impressive and stands out over the other QBs or maybe its Jones that shows he knows the game.
    OTOH, not bringing in a player - the Devins - could actually be a "smokescreen" by giving an impression that your not interested in that position or have concluded that those players are not on your radar when they actually are. I don't think KC or the Raiders are watching the Broncos activity in order to create their strategy.

Ultimately, I don't think teams go very far out of their way to deceive other teams. I think most/all teams have their own strategy as to what they want to do and aren't very interested in smokescreens, with the exception of the top 1-2 picks if they are wanting to trade back.

Additional thought: I imagine that it is possible that they are bringing in all those QBs to create an impression that they may take one at 10 in order to generate interest in a trade with Miami or Washington?
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 04-08-2019 at 08:26 AM.