Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Alright let me kick off this thread about all things NHL playoffs (so I quit bothering the Avalanche fans by posting about their opponent in the Avalanche thread) with my first round picks.

Tampa over Columbus in 7, Bobrovsky keeps it closer than many expect
    Boston over Toronto in 5, the Leaves aren't that good
    Washington over Carolina in 4, lost in the storm surge excitement is that they're just not in the same class
    Islanders over Pittsburgh in 7, defence wins

Dallas over Nashville in 7, Dallas is ready for a Nashville in 16-17 type run
    St Louis over Winnipeg in 6, the Jets have been poor in the last half of the season
    Calgary over Colorado in 5, sorry Colorado fans, Calgary is a deep deep team, if they get goaltending they might play into June, if they don't this could be the opposite
    Vegas over San Jose in 5, gut feeling, San Jose just doesn't have it

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Alright let me kick off this thread about all things NHL playoffs (so I quit bothering the Avalanche fans by posting about their opponent in the Avalanche thread) with my first round picks.

Tampa over Columbus in 7, Bobrovsky keeps it closer than many expect
    Boston over Toronto in 5, the Leaves aren't that good
    Washington over Carolina in 4, lost in the storm surge excitement is that they're just not in the same class
    Islanders over Pittsburgh in 7, defence wins

Dallas over Nashville in 7, Dallas is ready for a Nashville in 16-17 type run
    St Louis over Winnipeg in 6, the Jets have been poor in the last half of the season
    Calgary over Colorado in 5, sorry Colorado fans, Calgary is a deep deep team, if they get goaltending they might play into June, if they don't this could be the opposite
    Vegas over San Jose in 5, gut feeling, San Jose just doesn't have it
    You going with Tampa to win it all? Obvious choice for many, but not a given. Washington seems primed up again to make a go of it.

In The West, some teams lower down the playoff rung had good "last 10" finishes. St. Lou was the best, followed by The Avs. But I like your team overall. The Jets are still a very talented team, and they could reverse their last 10, but it will take better goaltending and more discipline. And yes, Dallas could upset Nashville, but I'm giving Nashville the nod. Not even sure what happened to San Jose???

But overall Calgary have the best balance in The West. So I would be fine with a Flames/Lightning Cup Final.....and I would pull for Calgary in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You going with Tampa to win it all? Obvious choice for many, but not a given. Washington seems primed up again to make a go of it.

In The West, some teams lower down the playoff rung had good "last 10" finishes. St. Lou was the best, followed by The Avs. But I like your team overall. The Jets are still a very talented team, and they could reverse their last 10, but it will take better goaltending and more discipline. And yes, Dallas could upset Nashville, but I'm giving Nashville the nod. Not even sure what happened to San Jose???

But overall Calgary have the best balance in The West. So I would be fine with a Flames/Lightning Cup Final.....and I would pull for Calgary in that one.
    I don't think Tampa will make it. I would pick Boston from the East. Something about them just makes me think they're built for a long playoff run. In the West, I like Calgary if one of the goalies steps up and gets hot and steals games for them. Each has done it in stretches during the season, but not consistently. And the entire city of Calgary would like a Tampa v Calgary final. We feel we were robbed in 2004 (Gelinas' shot late in regulation in game 6 looked like it was in the net but not reviewed) so we'd like to get some retribution. Plus for symmetry it makes sense for them to get there. Won the cup in 89, lost in the finals 15 years later, here we are 15 years after that, no better way to celebrate the 30th anniversary than winning a second one.

I really liked the Jets coming into the season, still really liked them at midseason, but something just seems off with them this year. I know their two defensemen were out, maybe that fixes it? But they just don't seem as solid all around as I thought they would. To steal something from TSN (and take a slightly gloomier outlook than them with it) last year Hellebuyck gets a piece of the puck and the puck would end up going wide. Exact same situation this year and he gets a piece of a puck and it goes into the net. The Jets just don't seem to be getting those bounces this year.

So with those things being said my West team is Vegas. They've got a fairly solid lineup and an experienced goalie who can win cups when he gets on a roll. Last year he got on a roll and they lost in the Finals.

Boston v Vegas for the cup.

What are your picks for round 1? Pre playoff finals pick?

What are your picks for round 1? Pre playoff finals pick?
    Tampa in 5
    Boston in 6
    Washington in 5
    Pittsburgh in 7

Nashville in 6
    Winnipeg in 7
    Calgary in 5 (also sorry to Avs fans!!)
    Vegas in 6

Cup Final - Tampa over Calgary in 7(then again, not often do the two top teams end up in the final). The true bottom line for me....who is a balanced team with a hot goalie.

As for The Jets....Big Buff is back, but he is always scary defensively until he gets his game back. Morrissey is ready to go, and he is clearly one of the best Dmen we have. I luv the kid! Smart, smooth, great skater, tougher than he looks. But Hellebuyck is not as good as he was last year, and that might be the tale of the tape. Plus Laine is raising concerns in this town. A great shooter, but what to do with him when he's not scoring. Imagine, they were talking about $10M per year going into a contract year....now he will be lucky to get $7M! Probably a bridge contract.

And the thing that concerns me is all the OT wins, and the recent "blowing of late games"....neither of which makes us a dominant team. And if teams can defend against Scheifele and Wheeler, they can keep us in check. And with less penalties in the playoffs, our PP becomes less of a strength.

BUT....still a strong team, waiting for things to click again.

But as mentioned, I like your team. The boys are scoring, you've got excellent Dmen, and as long as Smith can stop the puck, you're going to go a long way! If The Jets get the boot, I will pull for Calgary.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-08-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Avs will get 2 just like they did against a better Nashville team a year ago.

But probably lose in 6 after a home letdown just like a year ago.

It happens some but Hockey series rarely end in fewer than 6 games.

Well now...New Jersey got lucky, and won the lottery. The Rangers came second, and Chicago moved all the way up from 12th to 3rd....a huge upgrade!

Sorry to The Avs, but 4th place will secure a top tier player. No shame in that. And you must remember, the odds may have been the best, but they were by no means a gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Avs will get 2 just like they did against a better Nashville team a year ago.

But probably lose in 6 after a home letdown just like a year ago.

It happens some but Hockey series rarely end in fewer than 6 games.
    Wouldn't shock me if the series went to 6 or 7 games. I said 5 because I'm insanely biased towards the Flames and I've watched 77 or 78 of their games this year, so I know how good they can be. Admittedly I've only watched the Avalanche the 3 times they played Calgary. Which reminds me they were leading 4-1 after 2 in one game before imploding in the 3rd. So they are capable.

Well now...New Jersey got lucky, and won the lottery. The Rangers came second, and Chicago moved all the way up from 12th to 3rd....a huge upgrade!

Sorry to The Avs, but 4th place will secure a top tier player. No shame in that. And you must remember, the odds may have been the best, but they were by no means a gimme.

I thought the Rangers would win the lottery because of the appeal of having a big American star in the biggest US market, on the areas marquee hockey team. Of course now they'll have the top 2 stars in the draft in the New York market.

I thought the Rangers would win the lottery because of the appeal of having a big American star in the biggest US market, on the areas marquee hockey team. Of course now they'll have the top 2 stars in the draft in the New York market.
    I was ok with NJ getting the top pick. In the near future they will at least have a few high quality players.

I am sure you will agree.....DID NOT want Edmonton to get lucky again. I figure they should have about 10 more years before they ever get lucky in the draft. Vancouver never seems to move up.. They'd probably mess it up anyway!!

I was ok with NJ getting the top pick. In the near future they will at least have a few high quality players.

I am sure you will agree.....DID NOT want Edmonton to get lucky again. I figure they should have about 10 more years before they ever get lucky in the draft. Vancouver never seems to move up.. They'd probably mess it up anyway!!
    Interesting thing about Edmonton and this lottery. So the lottery is actually some computer generated number that corresponds to a scenario that lays out picks. There's a bunch of them. But the winning lottery number had the 6th placed spot moving up to draft 2nd. Edmonton was in that spot until they won the meaningless last game in Calgary which moved them passed the Rangers. If they had lost that game they'd be selecting second in this draft.

Interesting thing about Edmonton and this lottery. So the lottery is actually some computer generated number that corresponds to a scenario that lays out picks. There's a bunch of them. But the winning lottery number had the 6th placed spot moving up to draft 2nd. Edmonton was in that spot until they won the meaningless last game in Calgary which moved them passed the Rangers. If they had lost that game they'd be selecting second in this draft.
    Wow.....that would have ticked me off in a huge way!! Mind you, they have not taken advantage of all those high picks!!! Can you imagine, I thought they were lucky even before they landed McD!!! Either they chose the wrong guys, did not develop them properly, or those drafts did not have studs at the top.

Just for memory sake, look at how sweet the draft has been for them, in terms of selection position:

2010 - Hall, #1 overall
    2011 - Nugent-Hopkins, #1 overall
    2012 - Yakupov, #1 overall
    2013 - Nurse, #7 overall
    2014 - Draisaitl, #4 overall
    2015 - McDavid, #1 overall
    2016 - Pulujarvi, #4 overall

How many teams in sports history had a luckier run of draft picks? There are some perhaps. And unfortunately, The Oilers have unsuccessfully put these top level players together. But as mentioned, maybe some of those drafts were not comparable in term of high end talent. Who cares? They had their chances. Last year they were pretty good, but that ship has sailed.

Wow.....that would have ticked me off in a huge way!! Mind you, they have not taken advantage of all those high picks!!! Can you imagine, I thought they were lucky even before they landed McD!!! Either they chose the wrong guys, did not develop them properly, or those drafts did not have studs at the top.

Just for memory sake, look at how sweet the draft has been for them, in terms of selection position:

2010 - Hall, #1 overall
    2011 - Nugent-Hopkins, #1 overall
    2012 - Yakupov, #1 overall
    2013 - Nurse, #7 overall
    2014 - Draisaitl, #4 overall
    2015 - McDavid, #1 overall
    2016 - Pulujarvi, #4 overall

How many teams in sports history had a luckier run of draft picks? There are some perhaps. And unfortunately, The Oilers have unsuccessfully put these top level players together. But as mentioned, maybe some of those drafts were not comparable in term of high end talent. Who cares? They had their chances. Last year they were pretty good, but that ship has sailed.
    I think it's a case of all 3, plus a serious case of selling low when it comes to Hall. It's fitting that they trade him for a stay at home second pairing defenseman and then Hall goes on to win the Hart trophy. That sums up their management to a tee.

As much as I hate the Oilers (and it's a lot) I've got a few Oilers fans that are close to me, and I feel bad for them and all of the Oilers fans to see what that franchise has become. I hope they can turn it around and we can get both Alberta teams competing against each other at a high level soon.

The Lightning go up 3-0 after 1 and then lose 4-3. That's got to be a shock to start the playoffs. Although I've thought that Columbus might test them a little bit. And I actually don't think it's a bad thing for a team looking for a cup run, and who hasn't played a meaningful game in 2 months, to get tested in the first round. Face some adversity, taste your own blood (figuratively) and then get that edge going.

The Lightning go up 3-0 after 1 and then lose 4-3. That's got to be a shock to start the playoffs. Although I've thought that Columbus might test them a little bit. And I actually don't think it's a bad thing for a team looking for a cup run, and who hasn't played a meaningful game in 2 months, to get tested in the first round. Face some adversity, taste your own blood (figuratively) and then get that edge going.
    I honestly thought it was over when I saw Tampa up 3-0 by the end of 1. Then had to get the kids ready for bed and was stunned later when i saw Columbus was up 4-3 with little time left to play. Thatís got to be nothing more than a mental collapse.