Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think Vegas is the better more dangerous team. Fleury has struggled a little bit, but he's shown that he can take a team on his back and carry them. San Jose's goaltending has been bad all year, and hasn't been great in the postseason either. Like you said, San Jose is old, and for whatever reason they've been a worse team all year with Eric Karlsson in the lineup.

I think San Jose is the matchup you guys should want.

Dallas eliminates Nashville. so in the West there's a real chance that the lower seed wins every matchup in round 1. Crazy.
    Crazy is right. It's only the first round and we have three game 7s.

Already out that almost half the NHL Player Association reps want the playoff format changed, and most of those prefer the way it was when the East and West were seeded 1 to 8, which was the format from 1994-2013. More on this later, but losing round one, to a much lower team, is not the problem. But it can get messy when the second round aligns teams with higher points during the season. The example of Nashville playing The Jets last year, in round 2, even though they finished one-two in the NHL, is a valid issue.

The current format is liked by those who love rivalries, such as Toronto and Boston. Odds are they will meet more often than with the previous format.

But lets be clear, changing format has little to do with the way Tampa lost to Columbus, or even Calgary losing to The Avs, or Nashville losing to Dallas. That's on the teams that lost, and the teams that won.
    Last edited by CanDB; Yesterday at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Already out that almost half the NHL Player Association reps want the playoff format changed, and most of those prefer the way it was when the East and West were seeded 1 to 8, which was the format from 1994-2013. More on this later, but losing round one, to a much lower team, is not the problem. But it can get messy when the second round aligns teams with higher points during the season. The example of Nashville playing The Jets last year, in round 2, even though they finished one-two in the NHL, is a valid issue.

The current format is liked by those who love rivalries, such as Toronto and Boston. Odds are they will meet more often than with the previous format.

But lets be clear, changing format has little to do with the way Tampa lost to Columbus, or even Calgary losing to The Avs, or Nashville losing to Dallas. That's on the teams that lost, and the teams that won.
    I think that's much ado about nothing. It would have only changed 2 series, Toronto would have played the Islanders and Boston would have played Pittsburgh. But the other 6 series would have remained the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think that's much ado about nothing. It would have only changed 2 series, Toronto would have played the Islanders and Boston would have played Pittsburgh. But the other 6 series would have remained the same.
    But I believe this is related to the round two matchups as well, like The Jets playing Nashville last year. Normally the top 2 teams in the league, per regular season standings, should not be meeting in that round. If the playoffs are based on regular season performance, the top 2 teams should be meeting lower placed teams in round two.

I more hate the second round matchups than the first round matchups under the new format.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But I believe this is related to the round two matchups as well, like The Jets playing Nashville last year. Normally the top 2 teams in the league, per regular season standings, should not be meeting in that round. If the playoffs are based on regular season performance, the top 2 teams should be meeting lower placed teams in round two.
    I'm very indifferent to it. If you want to win the cup you're going to need to beat good teams. In round 2 you'll be facing a good team regardless. If you can't beat the team you face up against in round you probably wouldn't have beaten them in round 3. And you aren't deserving of winning the Stanley Cup.

In the East the matchups would be identical, in the West if San Jose wins then they'll be exactly as they would in the other format. If the Knights win then they'll be off, but there's not that much separating those 4 teams, so I don't see the problem in the current setup.