Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The Lightning go up 3-0 after 1 and then lose 4-3. That's got to be a shock to start the playoffs. Although I've thought that Columbus might test them a little bit. And I actually don't think it's a bad thing for a team looking for a cup run, and who hasn't played a meaningful game in 2 months, to get tested in the first round. Face some adversity, taste your own blood (figuratively) and then get that edge going.
    I can see Tampa completely turning this around. Seven game series give you loads of time to right the ship. In fact, I predict they hammer Columbus in the second game. As long as they split, and split in Columbus, they win the series in my books. But the little I saw, Hedman made some poor plays, and he is one of the best Dmen in the league.

Playoffs are back big time though, and already an OT game and 4 of 5 settled by one goal. NHL playoffs are, and I know I am biased, an amazing testament to the great athletes that these men are! I can guarantee that more than half have some form of minor injury, but they persevere, and even step up their games. I don't even know how they play with hamstring or groin issues. I know they have top level medical support, but you can not even push off one leg if you have a bad enough groin strain. I once got one near the end of the hockey season, and I could not even watch a game without feeling pain, when I saw a player stride up the ice.

And the good news for us hockey buffs....no nights off for a while. New slate of games tonight!

The Avs were the only team to get shutout in game 1ís. And the Flames were supposed to be one of the weakest goaltending teams. Mike Smith played great though.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    The Avs were the only team to get shutout in game 1’s. And the Flames were supposed to be one of the weakest goaltending teams. Mike Smith played great though.
    Smith has played well since February, he was just that bad early in the season, so his numbers never got better than poor. He was definitely the difference last night though, I didn't feel like that was a 4-0 game. The Avs need to smooth out a couple of things, but I think they played a decent road game, so it's not like they need a complete overhaul going into game 2.

The Avs were the only team to get shutout in game 1’s. And the Flames were supposed to be one of the weakest goaltending teams. Mike Smith played great though.
    Smith has played well since February, he was just that bad early in the season, so his numbers never got better than poor. He was definitely the difference last night though, I didn't feel like that was a 4-0 game. The Avs need to smooth out a couple of things, but I think they played a decent road game, so it's not like they need a complete overhaul going into game 2.
    The Avs needed to strike early, because they had the edge.....but Calgary's overall game switched into gear as the game went on. Not a surprise they had the best record in The West.

Go Jackets!!!

So this doesnít look good for Tampa.

But Columbus was in this same spot a year ago against the Capitals and didnít win again.

So this doesn’t look good for Tampa.

But Columbus was in this same spot a year ago against the Capitals and didn’t win again.
    I heard someone say that Columbus was bad the last 6 weeks of the season because there was such a build up of expectations after the trades at the deadline. Once they made the playoffs and got put up agains the unbeatable Lightning the pressure was off, and they could play loose.

Tampa looks like they're caving under the pressure of the expectations, Columbus looks loose and like they have nothing to lose. The dangerous thing about letting a worse team hang around (or in this case be better) is that it builds hope, and hope for an underdog can be the game changer.

I heard someone say that Columbus was bad the last 6 weeks of the season because there was such a build up of expectations after the trades at the deadline. Once they made the playoffs and got put up agains the unbeatable Lightning the pressure was off, and they could play loose.

Tampa looks like they're caving under the pressure of the expectations, Columbus looks loose and like they have nothing to lose. The dangerous thing about letting a worse team hang around (or in this case be better) is that it builds hope, and hope for an underdog can be the game changer.
    Right. But again Columbus will now face some pressure because as I mentioned they were in this same position a year ago heading home against the Caps. And didnít win again.

So theyíll now have mental pressure not to repeat that again.

Right. But again Columbus will now face some pressure because as I mentioned they were in this same position a year ago heading home against the Caps. And didn’t win again.

So they’ll now have mental pressure not to repeat that again.
    I just see it as two completely different scenarios and I'm not sure they'll face that pressure. Tampa is a historically good team, and no one picked Columbus to have a chance. I think Columbus sees it as they're playing with house money and that will trump anything that happened last year.

We'll see how things play out in game 3

I just see it as two completely different scenarios and I'm not sure they'll face that pressure. Tampa is a historically good team, and no one picked Columbus to have a chance. I think Columbus sees it as they're playing with house money and that will trump anything that happened last year.

We'll see how things play out in game 3
    But Washington has that same pressure of always finishing top seed in the east and never getting over the playoff hump.

Here's what sometimes happens in the playoffs....the top team(s) go up against an opponent who is clearly the underdog, but is still a good squad, who can play disciplined hockey, and might just benefit from a hot goalie. The playoffs are much about discipline, and hard work. amnd goaltending....and if a team can get opportunistic, the higher ranked team can start to feel the pinch, which leads to them getting a case of tight sticks, and pressure to do things unnaturally. That is, they try too hard to score, or to make perfect plays.....when their strength all season was to play their game.

But I do not count Tampa out. Same goes for my Jets. BUT the problem both have is that they lost both games at home. If they had been on the road, the concern level is much less, because home ice can help even things in a hurry.

But Washington has that same pressure of always finishing top seed in the east and never getting over the playoff hump.
    And every year Washington folded. Last year they were well on their way to folding, they won game 3 in double OT. Tampa has a world of pressure on them because they just had one of the best regular seasons in NHL history. They tied the record for most wins in a regular season at 62.

Since you mentioned Washington, Tampa has similar pressure, they've been a great team for several years now, finishing over 100 points in 4 of the last 6 years, they've had better playoff success than Washington had, but they've not won any cups with this team. Now you've put together one of the greatest regular seasons ever, you've got an insane amount of depth, the best goalie in the NHL, and no one else is in your class. That's a lot of pressure to finally break through. They find themselves in an exact spot that Washington did last year, we'll see if they can have a similar turnaround.

But the pressure is all on Tampa, Columbus is leading a series no one thought they could win. Many didn't think they'd last longer than 5 games. If they win they're the giant killers and it's one of the biggest upsets in Stanley Cup playoff history. If they lose than Tampa came back to being the team everyone thought they were.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Here's what sometimes happens in the playoffs....the top team(s) go up against an opponent who is clearly the underdog, but is still a good squad, who can play disciplined hockey, and might just benefit from a hot goalie. The playoffs are much about discipline, and hard work. amnd goaltending....and if a team can get opportunistic, the higher ranked team can start to feel the pinch, which leads to them getting a case of tight sticks, and pressure to do things unnaturally. That is, they try too hard to score, or to make perfect plays.....when their strength all season was to play their game.

But I do not count Tampa out. Same goes for my Jets. BUT the problem both have is that they lost both games at home. If they had been on the road, the concern level is much less, because home ice can help even things in a hurry.

I agree with you about Tampa, they've got a great team and coming back to win 4 of their next 5 games wouldn't be a shock. With Winnipeg I'm not sure, something is off with that team, and they need some fundamental fixes in a hurry to turn things around. Not insurmountable, but it's looking like a steep mountain to climb, especially with how they finished the season.

Believe me guys Iím not arguing with you about the insane pressure Tampa is under. And yes Columbus might be able to keep it up as the underdog.

All Iím saying is in the NHL it actually seems quite common that road teams can win a lot. I donít follow as much as either of you. But it seems like every year there is at least one series where the road teams win nearly every game.

So all Iím saying is I donít count Tampa out until they lose game 3.

Avalanche get one in Calgary!!!