Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I agree with all that but also I think Hockey is quite possibly the toughest sport to score in. And a lot of times goals can be had on luck or a perfect deflection at the right time.

So often a team can completely dominate a game for 60 minutes but if they are unsuccessful solving that goaltender they can still come away in a loss.

In Basketball there is no such thing as the #1 seed playing their A game and losing. But it can happen in hockey. Sometimes all the under dog has to do is play great D and get a stalemate and once it gets to Ot all you need is that one opportunistic play to steal a game that you may have been outshot and outchecked by nearly double in. It’s obviously not the strategy you recommend over the course of a series but it can be done.

I don’t have stats but I don’t believe an 8 seed has won an NBA series in over a decade. NHL seems to have it done very 2-3 years if not more often.
    I think we are saying the same thing. Luck can happen of course, but things that I constantly refer to in the playoffs are discipline (as in hard work, playing the game you are expected to play, and being smart enough to stay out of the penalty box), opportunism (score when you get the good chances, play 2 way hockey for a full 60 minutes, and be adept at countering their O with your own), and goaltending...because you can not win The Cup without good goaltending. Within those factors, there is a case for having more talent of course, and it never hurts to get a break or two, but you make your breaks more often than not. But yes, it is imperative to get a lead, and hopefully at least a 2 goal lead, because luck can happen, as can one great shot, or deke, or whatever. For that matter, you never want to go to OT, unless you were behind the whole game.

As for the playoffs.....hockey is so demanding that it has happened many times where top level teams partially burn out by the playoffs. There needs to be some pace as the season ends...unless of course you are in a fight to even get in. And no doubt, there is a case for being in a fight near the end, because you are then primed for the playoffs. But the playoffs can be like a new season altogether, and by that time of year, so many are worn a bit, and injured to a degree. There is some sense to resting players as much as can be hoped, prior to the regular season ending. Playing over 100 games in a year can be very taxing.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-15-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The Jets bounced back with a big win tonight! It's a series now.
    Oh yes....thx for this! I figured that this game was their season on the line. It's not normal to win 4 straight in the playoffs (same series). Game 4 is critical again, because I don't like the thought of having to win 3 straight either. I expect St. Lou to be a little hungrier this time out.

I know Butler called it with the pressure thing but Iím still really stunned by Tampa.

I figured the pressure would be felt in a later round and a year ending in disappointment with a second round loss or a conference finals loss.

In no shape or form did I see the pressure being this bad against Columbus in the first round.

Just another reason why hockey is better than the NBA. In the NBA 8 seeds canít hang and first round upsets are very rare.
    I think it's a mix of pressure as well as the fact that they hadn't played a meaningful game since February. That's a long time to go with nothing on the line. Meanwhile Columbus had to fight in order to just make the playoffs. They've been playing "playoff" games since the trade deadline. It's tough to ratchet up the intensity to match the opponent when you haven't had to do it in a long time.

Ironically Tampa being so good this year might have been what sabotages them in the playoffs. I'm still not giving up on them though. If they win game 4, I think they could pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Oh yes....thx for this! I figured that this game was their season on the line. It's not normal to win 4 straight in the playoffs (same series). Game 4 is critical again, because I don't like the thought of having to win 3 straight either. I expect St. Lou to be a little hungrier this time out.
    St Louis is a franchise with a history of choking in the playoffs. Whether it's losing to a lower seed (sometimes significantly lower) or losing series where they had big leads, it's part of their DNA. Until they win the series I would feel somewhat confident if I were a Jets fan.

Life is funny sometimes. Cale Makar, a Calgary native, scores the game winning goal against his hometown team in his first NHL game. A playoff game to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Life is funny sometimes. Cale Makar, a Calgary native, scores the game winning goal against his hometown team in his first NHL game. A playoff game to boot.
    So I get itís considered Game winning because it was goal 3 and Calgary ended with 2.

However itís hardly an impactful game winning goal when it put us up 3-0 in the first. And we got to 4-0 before they even scored. And the game never got closer than 4 goal lead after.

Still congrats to the kid. He looks like he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    So I get it’s considered Game winning because it was goal 3 and Calgary ended with 2.

However it’s hardly an impactful game winning goal when it put us up 3-0 in the first. And we got to 4-0 before they even scored. And the game never got closer than 4 goal lead after.

Still congrats to the kid. He looks like he belongs.
    DB.....I think what gerontion is stating is what many stats folks refer to, which is the winning goal being the one that is one higher than the losing team's final score. It's not saying he scored a game-changer, or anything like that. It is commonly used, and with the knowledge that it is not always an "impactful" goal. Mind you, any goal can be impactful, given when it happens in a game.

Maybe you understand all of this, so sorry if I am commenting on the more obvious. I just think gerontion is making light of the outstanding / unique situation that Makar was in last night. He apparently had a crazy week, winning the Hobey Baker Award, then having his College career end, just 2 days before the game. So to step in an NHL playoff game, and play very well, and score what is technically the winning goal, has got to be tucked away in his memory bank for the rest of his life! (oh yes, against his home town city!)
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.

DB.....I think what gerontion is stating is what many stats folks refer to, which is the winning goal being the one that is one higher than the losing team's final score. It's not saying he scored a game-changer, or anything like that. It is commonly used, and with the knowledge that it is not always an "impactful" goal. Mind you, any goal can be impactful, given when it happens in a game.

Maybe you understand all of this, so sorry if I am commenting on the more obvious. I just think gerontion is making light of the outstanding / unique situation that Makar was in last night. He apparently had a crazy week, winning the Hobey Baker Award, then having his College career end, just 2 days before the game. So to step in an NHL playoff game, and play very well, and score what is technically the winning goal, has got to be tucked away in his memory bank for the rest of his life! (oh yes, against his home town city!)
    Well Can I stated in my first statement that I get why itís technically considered a game winner.

Just making sure Gerontin didnít like repeat what he saw from a media headline and knew how the game went. I didnít know if he actually watched the game or not and saw the game was never really in doubt or not.

I assumed he did. But wanted to make sure. You know how media likes to mislead with their headlines.

I didnít mean to question it like I was taking anything away from Makar. Just making sure it was understood that it wasnít even like a 2-2 game where Makars goal broke a tie and led to a blowout.

Well Can I stated in my first statement that I get why it’s technically considered a game winner.

Just making sure Gerontin didn’t like repeat what he saw from a media headline and knew how the game went. I didn’t know if he actually watched the game or not and saw the game was never really in doubt or not.

I assumed he did. But wanted to make sure. You know how media likes to mislead with their headlines.

I didn’t mean to question it like I was taking anything away from Makar. Just making sure it was understood that it wasn’t even like a 2-2 game where Makars goal broke a tie and led to a blowout.
    I get it. For me it was more about a young hockey player, winning a big award, playing his last college game, and then stepping into the limelight of the NHL playoffs, a pressure packed situation, and not only contributing, but scoring what is technically a game winner.....against his home town team. Quite a week!!!!!

FTR....I have been an Avs fan, to some degree, for most of their years. I was a huge Joe Sakic fan, and loved when they won the cup, with him and Ray Bourque, Forsberg, Blake, Foote and Roy...and the entire team they had!

And even though they compete against my Jets, I do not mind them still. And I've mentioned before, they have a quality team with an upside. Makar is an example of a top tier Dman who will have a good career for The Avs. They already have one of the very best forward lines in The NHL, but they need a little more overall depth. But they good enough now to rock the boat, and could quite possibly knock off the Best in the West, in round one!

And with the 4th overall selection in the draft (thanks to Ottawa!), they will land another highly sought player. Another piece in the puzzle. With smart drafting, and the right decisions going forward, this team could be a contender for years to come.

I get it. For me it was more about a young hockey player, winning a big award, playing his last college game, and then stepping into the limelight of the NHL playoffs, a pressure packed situation, and not only contributing, but scoring what is technically a game winner.....against his home town team. Quite a week!!!!!

FTR....I have been an Avs fan, to some degree, for most of their years. I was a huge Joe Sakic fan, and loved when they won the cup, with him and Ray Bourque, Forsberg, Blake, Foote and Roy...and the entire team they had!

And even though they compete against my Jets, I do not mind them still. And I've mentioned before, they have a quality team with an upside. Makar is an example of a top tier Dman who will have a good career for The Avs. They already have one of the very best forward lines in The NHL, but they need a little more overall depth. But they good enough now to rock the boat, and could quite possibly knock off the Best in the West, in round one!

And with the 4th overall selection in the draft (thanks to Ottawa!), they will land another highly sought player. Another piece in the puzzle. With smart drafting, and the right decisions going forward, this team could be a contender for years to come.
    And if Gerontin understood all of that initially and was just saying praise for Makar then I apologize.

But yeah the future is the brightest itís been for the Avs since 2004 when the strike killed the franchise basically.

But Iím nervous about the upcoming expansion draft because with the massive influx of talent we wonít be able to protect everybody.

And if Gerontin understood all of that initially and was just saying praise for Makar then I apologize.

But yeah the future is the brightest it’s been for the Avs since 2004 when the strike killed the franchise basically.

But I’m nervous about the upcoming expansion draft because with the massive influx of talent we won’t be able to protect everybody.
    Hey DB, it's not a bad thing to have loads of talent!! If handled the same way that Vegas built their team (which was brilliant!!!), it should not penalize individual teams too much. And if I can whine for a moment, you may not even know this but The Winnipeg Jets were stripped apart when we first joined The NHL!!! It was awful!

We were a great team in the defunct World Hockey Association. We understood the meaning of acquiring players from countries outside Canada/USA, and thrived. The team was very successful and we were treated to exciting, highly skilled hockey. But when the time came to become part of The NHL, the rules were extremely cruel. The 17 existing NHL teams were allowed to reclaim any rights to former WHA players they held. The four incoming franchises (Winnipeg, Edmonton, Hartford and Quebec), were only allowed to protect up to two goaltenders and two skaters, voiding their NHL rights. These players were considered "priority selections" in the expansion draft. In that draft, we were not allowed to draft til pick #19....a far cry from what Vegas was given (#6 overall).

We were basically starting over, as were the other 3 former WHA teams. At the time just prior to the NHL merger, we were assessed to be a highly competitive team, very likely top 5-10 in The NHL.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-16-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Go Jackets!!!
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

My goodness.....2 series.....game, set, match. Wonder what you would have won if you bet on Columbus and Islanders in 4?????

My goodness.....2 series.....game, set, match. Wonder what you would have won if you bet on Columbus and Islanders in 4?????
    I still can't get over Columbus. It's one thing for an 8th seed to upset a 1st seed. But, to sweep and dominate one of the most talented teams in recent memory? Just ridiculous. We'll see if Tampa can learn from this next year.

Seriously canít believe the choke job by Tampa. Especially after being up 3-0 after the first period of the series.