• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELWAY421
    Football Immortal
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Seriously can’t believe the choke job by Tampa. Especially after being up 3-0 after the first period of the series.
    Would it kill you to give Columbus a little credit? Lol, All I've read through the whole series is what Tampa didn't do.

Comment

• DenverBlood
      Football Immortal
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
      Would it kill you to give Columbus a little credit? Lol, All I've read through the whole series is what Tampa didn't do.
      No disrespect to Columbus man. They obviously played great and took advantage.

But let’s be real. It is about what Tampa didn’t do. A team that had one of the best records in the history of the league didn’t win a single playoff game. A lot of that is what they didn’t do that they normally do. Mainly seems to be lack of D and goaltending.

That’s how sports go though. The Warriors blowing a 31 point lead to the Clippers is more about what the Warriors failed to do. The Nuggets opening game 1 loss was about not shooting like they normally do. That’s just what people focus on. We focus on the bad not the good. I’ve heard some media talk about the Spurs D and playoff experience was partially to blame for poor shooting. But most of the focus was on the Nuggets not hitting shots they normally make.

No one is discrediting Columbus. But it remains to be seen if they can keep it up. 8 seeds win a lot only to get stomped by another team the next round. Doesn’t mean your boys can’t keep it up though. The Kings won it all as an 8 in 2012.

And the Predators just went to the finals two years ago as an 8.
      Last edited by DenverBlood; 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
        Sorry if I am one to mention Tampa and not Columbus. Clearly Columbus played fantastic hockey to sweep Tampa. I do think however that the onus has been on Tampa, given how shocking it was to see the clear cut #1 team in The NHL go winless in the playoffs. It's unimaginable. Think of the money Vegas would pay for that type of wager!

Losing the series would have been a shocker....but 4 straight losses equates to one of the bigger sports stories of the year. But yes, Columbus got it all together at the right time, and though I am not a Tortorella fan, he obviously outcoached Cooper, who may win coach of the year.

Comment

• ELWAY421
          Football Immortal
          • Dec 2007

I definitely defer when it comes to hockey & I'm not saying Columbus will win another game in the playoffs but I do believe they brought it in that series against Tampa, and Tampa couldn't overcome it.

Comment

• DenverBlood
            Football Immortal
            • Nov 2005

Massive comeback by the Avs last night. I thought your boys had the series even Butler. Mike Smith stood on his head as long as he could. But it’s hard to stop so many chances.

I expect your boys to get game 5 at home. So the pressure will be on us to close out in game 6.
            sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Happy for our Jets fans who get to watch the game outside (downtown) in a decent weather!!! Mind you, a few stiff ones can raise one's body temp fairly quickly.....as is the effect of a quick goal or two!

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

OMG....my Jets have a case of 3rd period "Blues". Allowing them to score 3 goals in the third period, the last one with just 15 seconds left, is concerning given the number of times this strong team has allowed teams to catch and pass them in the final period, in the latter part of the season. Some defensive issues that do not seem to fit in with the overall talent and production of this group.

Weird too, because all 5 games have been won on the road. So much for home ice advantage. Not over though. St. Lou has to win at home, at least one would think that.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                  Football Immortal
                  • Nov 2005

Wow color me shocked. First time in history both top seeds go out first round. So stoked for the Avs right now.

Butler I feel for you man. You have a solid team that should bounce back in a year. You mentioned in the Avs thread there were some players you thought I would hate by the end of the series. But I really don’t. I felt for the most part your team played really respectable hockey. No goons like Subban was for the Preds a year ago.

At times Mike Smith got in my nerves but only because he was standing on his head some games. Eventually the onslaught of shots proved too much for anyone though.

The Flames will be back though. They could maybe use a little front line speed though.
                  sigpic

Comment

• gerontion
                    Playmaker
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                    Wow color me shocked. First time in history both top seeds go out first round. So stoked for the Avs right now.

Butler I feel for you man. You have a solid team that should bounce back in a year. You mentioned in the Avs thread there were some players you thought I would hate by the end of the series. But I really don’t. I felt for the most part your team played really respectable hockey. No goons like Subban was for the Preds a year ago.

At times Mike Smith got in my nerves but only because he was standing on his head some games. Eventually the onslaught of shots proved too much for anyone though.

The Flames will be back though. They could maybe use a little front line speed though.
                    It's a great time to be an Avs fan. Haven't felt this good since 2013 when they were the 2nd seed in the West. However, that team turned out to be fool's gold. This time I think it's different. The difference in the series was our top guys were much better than Calgary's top guys. Johnny Hockey, geez he had a tough game 5. Missed PS, missed breakaway, and a goal disallowed.

Anyway, sorry about your Flames, Butler, but that's a good, deep team right there. They're not going anywhere. Always enjoy talking hockey and football with you.

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

I was pulling for Calgary, by a little, but it is clear that the better team won this time out. The MacKinnon line is super hot right now, and Calgary's big guns did not produce. If anything, both teams will even be better next year with the inclusion of a bit more scoring throughout their lineups. But it matters not now, because The Avs are in a groove.

This could be a playoff year when most of the big guns/favs are knocked out early. Tampa and Calgary alone make it noteworthy. Boston is on the ropes, and Washington is not a gimme. It could be one of those years where The Cup is waiting for a team that is just plain hungry. That's why, as they say, You Play The Game!!
                      Last edited by CanDB; 04-20-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

Congratz St. Lou.....you won it fair and square. You were the hottest team going into the playoffs, whereas my Jets were not at their best. Being hot is the best recipe for winning cups.

Big offseason for The Jets. They have paid out some really good contracts, but have a handful more to negotiate. Costly stuff. That will likely translate to the loss of a player or two. Salary caps and sound financial management make parity a reality. In that regard, this might have been our most likely year to win it all, with loads of talent and the ability to pay for it. But certainly not the end of the world.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                          Super Moderator
                          • Dec 2008

Congrats to the Avs, definitely the better team in the series, and it wasn't even close. For round 2 there's a little bit of good and bad for them, the good is that they'll be getting a team coming off an emotional 7 game series, which should help them especially with as fast as they played in round 1. The bad is that they'll get a long break in between, and when you're rolling as much as the Avs have been it can at times be detrimental to be then given a long break.

Looking at the big picture of the playoffs, we're seeing what makes the NHL great, anyone can win in the playoffs, you just need to get in. If Vegas and Toronto win their game 7's that would mean 4 of the top 6 regular season point getters would be eliminated in round 1. Throw in Dallas beating Nashville and you'd have 7 of the top 10 point getters in the regular season eliminated in round 1. That's unlike any other sport, and what makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs truly captivating. At this point would anyone be shocked by a Columbus v Colorado finals series?

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

Quite a year for Playoff Pools as well, given how many folks would have tried to select Tampa players. I am not in a pool this year, but my gut tells me that, those who thought they were lucky to get early picks are probably out of the race as we speak. I mean, who would have bet against Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, Vasilevskiy and others? And if they also chose Calgary players, like Gaudreau…..good bye!

Now The Avs top line looks lethal in a pool, perhaps even Dallas and San Jose players.

That's the challenge of hockey pools. You have to guess the teams right first, then the players.
                            Last edited by CanDB; 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• gerontion
                              Playmaker
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              Congrats to the Avs, definitely the better team in the series, and it wasn't even close. For round 2 there's a little bit of good and bad for them, the good is that they'll be getting a team coming off an emotional 7 game series, which should help them especially with as fast as they played in round 1. The bad is that they'll get a long break in between, and when you're rolling as much as the Avs have been it can at times be detrimental to be then given a long break.

Looking at the big picture of the playoffs, we're seeing what makes the NHL great, anyone can win in the playoffs, you just need to get in. If Vegas and Toronto win their game 7's that would mean 4 of the top 6 regular season point getters would be eliminated in round 1. Throw in Dallas beating Nashville and you'd have 7 of the top 10 point getters in the regular season eliminated in round 1. That's unlike any other sport, and what makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs truly captivating. At this point would anyone be shocked by a Columbus v Colorado finals series?
                              In the next round I hope the Avs avoid San Jose. They've had a hell of a time winning in the Shark Tank over the years. That being said, the Sharks are a fairly old team, and their 7 game series is likely to take a bit more out of them than Vegas.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                                Super Moderator
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
                                In the next round I hope the Avs avoid San Jose. They've had a hell of a time winning in the Shark Tank over the years. That being said, the Sharks are a fairly old team, and their 7 game series is likely to take a bit more out of them than Vegas.
                                I think Vegas is the better more dangerous team. Fleury has struggled a little bit, but he's shown that he can take a team on his back and carry them. San Jose's goaltending has been bad all year, and hasn't been great in the postseason either. Like you said, San Jose is old, and for whatever reason they've been a worse team all year with Eric Karlsson in the lineup.

I think San Jose is the matchup you guys should want.

Dallas eliminates Nashville. so in the West there's a real chance that the lower seed wins every matchup in round 1. Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X