Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think Vegas is the better more dangerous team. Fleury has struggled a little bit, but he's shown that he can take a team on his back and carry them. San Jose's goaltending has been bad all year, and hasn't been great in the postseason either. Like you said, San Jose is old, and for whatever reason they've been a worse team all year with Eric Karlsson in the lineup.

I think San Jose is the matchup you guys should want.

Dallas eliminates Nashville. so in the West there's a real chance that the lower seed wins every matchup in round 1. Crazy.
    Crazy is right. It's only the first round and we have three game 7s.

Already out that almost half the NHL Player Association reps want the playoff format changed, and most of those prefer the way it was when the East and West were seeded 1 to 8, which was the format from 1994-2013. More on this later, but losing round one, to a much lower team, is not the problem. But it can get messy when the second round aligns teams with higher points during the season. The example of Nashville playing The Jets last year, in round 2, even though they finished one-two in the NHL, is a valid issue.

The current format is liked by those who love rivalries, such as Toronto and Boston. Odds are they will meet more often than with the previous format.

But lets be clear, changing format has little to do with the way Tampa lost to Columbus, or even Calgary losing to The Avs, or Nashville losing to Dallas. That's on the teams that lost, and the teams that won.
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-23-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Already out that almost half the NHL Player Association reps want the playoff format changed, and most of those prefer the way it was when the East and West were seeded 1 to 8, which was the format from 1994-2013. More on this later, but losing round one, to a much lower team, is not the problem. But it can get messy when the second round aligns teams with higher points during the season. The example of Nashville playing The Jets last year, in round 2, even though they finished one-two in the NHL, is a valid issue.

The current format is liked by those who love rivalries, such as Toronto and Boston. Odds are they will meet more often than with the previous format.

But lets be clear, changing format has little to do with the way Tampa lost to Columbus, or even Calgary losing to The Avs, or Nashville losing to Dallas. That's on the teams that lost, and the teams that won.
    I think that's much ado about nothing. It would have only changed 2 series, Toronto would have played the Islanders and Boston would have played Pittsburgh. But the other 6 series would have remained the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think that's much ado about nothing. It would have only changed 2 series, Toronto would have played the Islanders and Boston would have played Pittsburgh. But the other 6 series would have remained the same.
    But I believe this is related to the round two matchups as well, like The Jets playing Nashville last year. Normally the top 2 teams in the league, per regular season standings, should not be meeting in that round. If the playoffs are based on regular season performance, the top 2 teams should be meeting lower placed teams in round two.

I more hate the second round matchups than the first round matchups under the new format.

But I believe this is related to the round two matchups as well, like The Jets playing Nashville last year. Normally the top 2 teams in the league, per regular season standings, should not be meeting in that round. If the playoffs are based on regular season performance, the top 2 teams should be meeting lower placed teams in round two.
    I'm very indifferent to it. If you want to win the cup you're going to need to beat good teams. In round 2 you'll be facing a good team regardless. If you can't beat the team you face up against in round you probably wouldn't have beaten them in round 3. And you aren't deserving of winning the Stanley Cup.

In the East the matchups would be identical, in the West if San Jose wins then they'll be exactly as they would in the other format. If the Knights win then they'll be off, but there's not that much separating those 4 teams, so I don't see the problem in the current setup.

That Vegas/San Jose game 7 was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I wonder how emotionally and physically spent the Sharks will be for game 1. Hopefully the Avs can take advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    That Vegas/San Jose game 7 was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I wonder how emotionally and physically spent the Sharks will be for game 1. Hopefully the Avs can take advantage.
    I am having difficulty remembering if I've ever seen a team score 3 goals, never mind 4 on a 5 minute power play. Seldom are there even 2.

It bothers me a bit, given they were basically out of it with half a period to go, and though Eakins deserved a penalty, I am not sure what he did was worthy of a 5 minute major. If Stastny does not stumble on him, Pavelski does not go down and really hurt himself. But I hope he is ok. However that was the only reason San Jose is still in it. Yes, they scored 4 times, but in my opinion, they were weak coming into the playoffs, and their fate lie in the hands of a 5 minute penalty. On a 2 minute call, they only score once. The score is 3 to 1, and I doubt they get back into it.

Good on them for capitalizing!
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-24-2019 at 09:54 AM.

LOL Toronto... (where I live) but lol

So.....pretty almost a clean sweep of underdogs winning in the first round, with that outstanding effort by Carolina! Hey, I know a fair amount about The NHL, but I do not know some of the guys on that team....but wow, did they perform! In OT, they looked hungrier than The Caps.

Round two should be great, but it will be hard to duplicate what happened in round one. And unless I have a team I love in the playoffs, I tend to take a small vaca from some of the action, until the finals. Even then, pending who's playing, and pending the weather here, it is tough to watch full games. I get a little more into spot duty.

But even if one is not a big hockey fan, watch these men night after night in the playoffs, and you will fully appreciate what giving 100% means. So many are injured. So many leave their "star status" at the door, and just go all out each game. It's a beautiful game. And the players are very deserving of the recognition they receive. Even with improving salaries over the years, no way do they get fair compensation treatment when I compare them to other sports, especially baseball!!!

I am having difficulty remembering if I've ever seen a team score 3 goals, never mind 4 on a 5 minute power play. Seldom are there even 2.

It bothers me a bit, given they were basically out of it with half a period to go, and though Eakins deserved a penalty, I am not sure what he did was worthy of a 5 minute major. If Stastny does not stumble on him, Pavelski does not go down and really hurt himself. But I hope he is ok. However that was the only reason San Jose is still in it. Yes, they scored 4 times, but in my opinion, they were weak coming into the playoffs, and their fate lie in the hands of a 5 minute penalty. On a 2 minute call, they only score once. The score is 3 to 1, and I doubt they get back into it.

Good on them for capitalizing!
    Just as I thought....terrible call. The NFL apparently apologized to The Knights for the incorrect 5 minute major call. Too late....but at least they were open about it.

I know it's looking ahead, but if we win the series with the Sharks... would we rather the Blues or Dallas to win? I don't know much about hockey outside of Denver, but I have heard that Dallas is an extremely dangerous team.

However, according to the internets, the Blues are SC favorites.

So.....pretty almost a clean sweep of underdogs winning in the first round, with that outstanding effort by Carolina! Hey, I know a fair amount about The NHL, but I do not know some of the guys on that team....but wow, did they perform! In OT, they looked hungrier than The Caps.

Round two should be great, but it will be hard to duplicate what happened in round one. And unless I have a team I love in the playoffs, I tend to take a small vaca from some of the action, until the finals. Even then, pending who's playing, and pending the weather here, it is tough to watch full games. I get a little more into spot duty.

But even if one is not a big hockey fan, watch these men night after night in the playoffs, and you will fully appreciate what giving 100% means. So many are injured. So many leave their "star status" at the door, and just go all out each game. It's a beautiful game. And the players are very deserving of the recognition they receive. Even with improving salaries over the years, no way do they get fair compensation treatment when I compare them to other sports, especially baseball!!!
    I heard this morning that this is the first time in NHL history that no division winners made it passed the first round of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I know it's looking ahead, but if we win the series with the Sharks... would we rather the Blues or Dallas to win? I don't know much about hockey outside of Denver, but I have heard that Dallas is an extremely dangerous team.

However, according to the internets, the Blues are SC favorites.

The Stars are an extremely good team. They're second best in the league this year defensively, but they still have an awful lot of offensive skill on that team. I said before the playoffs that I thought Dallas could be ready for a Nashville in 16-17 type run to the finals, and I'm not seeing much to change my mind at this point.

However with that being said, Calgary was a very good defensive team this year, and were second best offensively and the Avs made them look like a middle of the pack AHL team, and that was with outstanding goaltending to keep the Flames around for 5. So the Avs are dangerous as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    LOL Toronto... (where I live) but lol
    Hi, Rem!

Sorry about your team.

Too bad the Caps are gone. I guess they missed Oshie and Kempny? Also, too bad about the bad call on Vegas. I guess it happens in all sports.

Go Bruins!
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "