Mock my Mock - TheSaucyGhost

Ah, the NFL Draft, where hope springs eternal. After a mildly exciting free agency period, there's still some spots to fill! Here's the direction I, the Saucy Ghost, would take the Broncos.

#10 - Devin Bush Jr. - LB - Michigan

I know this is somewhat of surprise, but hear me out. Is Bush really that much worse than Devin White, who I suspect will be gone before #10. He's every bit as every bit athletic as white, with great feel for the game and leadership at the position. He's played for Jim Harbaugh, who Vic Fangio knows well, and I'm sure they've had conversations about this guy. He may be more of a fit for Denver than White is! We need a difference maker at the LB position for the Fangio defense to thrive, which pushes up that need to the top in my opinion. If Oliver, Hockenson, and Haskins are gone, he's my first pick.

#41 - Chris Lindstrom - OG - Boston College

RG is a huge hole right now, and it can't be solved in Free Agency very well. Right now we have Elijah Wilkinson, who did well last year, but we need him to be our swing tackle. Lindstrom (if he's still there) has the size and athleticism to step in and be plug and play.

#71 - Amani Hooker - S - Iowa

I'm more concerned with our Safety position than most people seem to be. I like Parks, but I don't think he'll be a solution at SS, and honestly, I'm really needing to see a big jump from Justin Simmons as well. Hooker has the coverage skills and football IQ that can translate quickly to Fangio's defense. I'd like to keep Kareem Jackson at corner if possible, so better play at safety would really help.

#125 - Mecole Hardman - WR - Georgia

Speed. We need some of that. To keep getting Emmanuel and Sutton open underneath, we need a deep threat that teams need to take seriously. This guy has speed to burn, and he's getting a lot of buzz for being a great leader and worker.

#148 - Jachai Polite - EDGE - Florida

I know, this is probably crazy, but this guy could be here because of his off-season and maturity concerns. Really good tape, and someone could take him well ahead of this pick, but I thought i'd throw it out here. Von and Chubb are professional and work hard, so maybe Polite could learn from them and do well. If not, it's a later round flyer, and you move on. We need bodies at backup rusher!

#156 - Lamont Gaillard - OC - Georgia

I really like Gaillard, and I think he has potential to start right away at C. Munchak may want to go with McGovern, but running a Georgia offensive line requires a lot of good qualities, which should translate well. If Leary goes down again, it would be nice to have McGovern at G, even though he's not as good there.

#182 - Cortez Broughton - DL - Cincinnati

High energy DT who could fit in the DE/DT rotation. Can't have enough guys to rotate in and out.

#237 - Olamide Zaccheaus - WR - Virginia

Super productive receiver at Virginia, should push any slot players like Hamilton or Cracraft in camp, and could be a returner option.

ROSTER:

OFFENSE - 25

LWR - Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick, Olamide Zaccheaus
    RWR - Emmanuel Sanders, DaeSean Hamilton, Mecole Hardman,
    LT - Garrett Bolles (sigh), Elijah Wilkinson
    LG - Ron Leary, Connor McGovern
    C - Lamont Gaillard, Sam Jones
    RG - Chris Lindstrom, Don Barclay
    RT - Ju'Wuan James, Andreas Knappe
    TE - Jeff Heurman, Jake Butt, Troy Fumagalli
    QB - Joe Flacco, Kevin Hogan
    RB - Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman, Devontae Booker,
    FB - Andy Janovich

DEFENSE - 25

LDE - Adam Gotsis, Cortez Broughton
    NT - Shelby Harris, Zach Kerr
    RDE - Derek Wolfe, Cashaud Lyons
    SLB - Bradley Chubb, Jeff Holland
    ILB - Devin Bush Jr., Todd Davis,
    ILB - Josey Jewell, Alexander Johnson, Joe Jones
    WLB - Von Miller, Jachai Polite
    LCB - Chris Harris, De'Vante Bausby
    SS - Amani Hooker, Will Parks, Su'a Cravens
    FS - Justin Simmons, Dymonte Thomas
    RCB - Kareem Jackson, Isaac Yiadom
    **Nickel - Bryce Callahan**

SPECIAL TEAMS - 3
    K - Brandon McManus
    P - Colby Wadman
    H - Casey Kreiter

Only thing I see wrong is that Todd Davis will not be second string. Davis and Bush would be starting. I really like your draft though!!

Love it. Especially the Mecole Hardman pick. He is one of my favorite players in the draft.

I like parts of it a lot and both congratulate you and thank you for your take and time. My big problem though is in your final line up, you leave Hogan as the back up to Flacco. To me that is a huge problem. Flacco has missed time and no matter how much we improve the rest of the team, if Flacco goes down we will be in deep trouble if Hogan is next in line. I think we have to make some kind of move to add another qb.
    ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I like parts of it a lot and both congratulate you and thank you for your take and time. My big problem though is in your final line up, you leave Hogan as the back up to Flacco. To me that is a huge problem. Flacco has missed time and no matter how much we improve the rest of the team, if Flacco goes down we will be in deep trouble if Hogan is next in line. I think we have to make some kind of move to add another qb.
    I did think about that a lot, and I agree, it's not great. But if Flacco goes down, and we don't get a 1st Round QB, the season is already going downhill fast, and wouldn't it be better to get a better pick in a QB heavy draft in 2020? Obviously, it would depend on when the injury to Flacco would occur... but drafting a lot of good depth seems like a good track for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaucyGhost View Post
    I did think about that a lot, and I agree, it's not great. But if Flacco goes down, and we don't get a 1st Round QB, the season is already going downhill fast, and wouldn't it be better to get a better pick in a QB heavy draft in 2020? Obviously, it would depend on when the injury to Flacco would occur... but drafting a lot of good depth seems like a good track for this season.
    To each their own I definitely would not be counting on trying to get a top one next year cause if we improve, we would have to trade the farm in draft capital to get one. I am not opposed to using 10 for a qb if our FO believes in one that is available, but we don't necessarily have to use 10. We could pick up a developmental qb in later rounds who could be our number 2 or in FA later. But one way or another, I personally think we have to add one. I think QB is the position of least depth for us. But I certainly can understand your strategy and can't argue with the guys you did pick.
    ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē

― Mark Twain

Denver waived Andreas Knappe yesterday. So, there are nine O-Linemen on the roster about a week before the Draft. They will need at least fifteen for TC.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-16-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Personally I think we are in trouble even with Flacco.

It wouldnít be the worst thing in the world to suck for Tua or Fromm in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post

It wouldnít be the worst thing in the world to suck for Tua or Fromm in 2020
    It would be if we end up terrible and neither of them declare.

I dont see us not having a young Qb on our roster after the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    It would be if we end up terrible and neither of them declare.
    Thatís a pretty low likelihood of that happening.

Thereís been what 2 QBs the past 20+ years that returned to school despite a top 2 draft of projection?

Luck and now Herbert are the only two I can think of.

I do think itís highly unlikely we donít take a QB at any point though. Elway has said they want to take a qb every draft. Even if itís not till 7th round. Which he has done 3 times i believe.

So if we take a stidham or Finley or someone else in a later round that provides a young qb while also not ruling out Tua or Fromm if things go south.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Denver waived Andreas Knappe yesterday. So, there are nine O-Linemen on the roster about a week before the Draft. They will need at least fifteen for TC.
    For sure, I was just throwing out a potential final roster. Losing Knappe creates another hole at swing tackle, which I'm hoping Wilkinson can cover, but then we'll need a starting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post

It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to suck for Tua or Fromm in 2020
    It's almost impossible to suck that much with this team. The defense is too good, and Flacco will be playing hard to prove himself. The make up of this team won't allow us to go 3-13 in order to get a top 3 pick. And even if we do, there's a ton of factors that could make all the effort pointless. What if Fromm sucks this year like Barkley did? What if they get a season ending injury? What if Tua goes back to win another title? Too many factors to try to tank, and we don't have the roster to tank well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaucyGhost View Post
    It's almost impossible to suck that much with this team. The defense is too good, and Flacco will be playing hard to prove himself. The make up of this team won't allow us to go 3-13 in order to get a top 3 pick. And even if we do, there's a ton of factors that could make all the effort pointless. What if Fromm sucks this year like Barkley did? What if they get a season ending injury? What if Tua goes back to win another title? Too many factors to try to tank, and we don't have the roster to tank well.
    Already answered yesterday I donít see either returning for a senior year. Thatís very uncommon for QBs to do that when projected top 5 and it literally doesnít happen on the east coast. Tua already has a title. It would be stupid to risk the injury to get another. Assuming he doesnít get his second this year.

I do agree itís unlikely we suck that bad. However an early injury to Flacco would make it highly likely.

But I would feel much better about trading up for Tua or Fromm than for any of these guys.

And didnít you just mock us not taking a qb this year?

Pretty good mock, I didn't know about Cortez Broughton being the sleeper talent. If we don't go DL early I hope we get him.

I don't think we'll be able to roll with the TE's that we have right now, knowing how badly Flacco relies on TE's to move the markers. I've never seen Heuerman become a receiving threat, and Fumagalli and Butt are likely not going to be more than depth. The only major change I'd make is instead of Jachai Polite (whom I'm positive won't last to the 5th round), take Josh Oliver or Kahale Warring, who are likely to make an impact their first year starting. And instead of Olamide Zaccheus, take Ronheen Bingham as our depth edge rusher.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!