• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orangecrush21
    Practice Squad
    • Apr 2016

Joe Flacco and a Rookie Qb

I think that if you look at how Flacco was acquired, its pretty obvious that we will draft a Qb in the first few rounds. There is a good reason why we traded for Flacco instead of waiting until he was released and it's not to avoid a bidding war. The FA qb market was weak and there wasn't even much hype for the #1 guy, Foles, to get interest from multiple teams.
    Joe Flacco was acquired via trade because his contract has 0 guaranteed money and no cap hit if he is released. This makes him the perfect mentor type for a young guy to come in and learn without pressure and then be handed the job with no real downside.

Of course Elway is going to say positive things about him, that's part of the business. Elway might even truly believe that Flacco has a few more good years left, but I doubt he thinks they all take place in Denver
  • FR Tim
    Football Immortal
    • Jul 2013

I tend to think Elway does believe Flacco can give him a couple years of solid QB play.

Gives Elway a season or two to find the “right” replacement, not just “a” replacement. Also let’s the dead cap to get back under control. Over $21m towards players not on the roster. Including over $8.2m on bad decisions in Keenum and Lynch.

Also need to consider if Elway and Co really see a franchise QB in this year’s draft. Or just another marginal prospect?

Lastly, from Flacco’s comments about being the starter and frosty comments about “what if they draft a QB” I’m assuming it would be a bad PR situation that I doubt Elway wants to get into.

Who knows what he chooses but I’m leaning towards we will be seeing a season or two of Flacco and a overall building of the roster and then an all in draft move next year or the year after.

Comment

• Sam_Z
      Banned User
      • Dec 2004

If Flacco comes out and has a solid season (not spectacular) but solid, what does Elway when it comes time to extend him?

I can’t see Elway extending Flacco with even average QB money after the keenum debacle. He’ll have quite a bit of cap space but I don’t think he’s going to put a huge chunk of the cap towards Flacco.

I’d love to Flacco succeed in Denver because it means the Broncos are succeeding however Elway forced Manning into a restructured contract when the broncos were winning. Lol

It may not be so bad to take Lock at 10 if there but what will everyone say if Lock performans half as good as Russel Wilson, a guy Elway passed on?

Comment

• listopencil
        Revenant
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
        If Flacco comes out and has a solid season (not spectacular) but solid, what does Elway when it comes time to extend him?

I can’t see Elway extending Flacco with even average QB money after the keenum debacle. He’ll have quite a bit of cap space but I don’t think he’s going to put a huge chunk of the cap towards Flacco.

I’d love to Flacco succeed in Denver because it means the Broncos are succeeding however Elway forced Manning into a restructured contract when the broncos were winning. Lol

It may not be so bad to take Lock at 10 if there but what will everyone say if Lock performans half as good as Russel Wilson, a guy Elway passed on?
        Flacco is under contract for 2019/2020/2021: https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383/ So, they have three seasons to come up with another starter if Flacco plays well enough to keep.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• listopencil
          Revenant
          • Aug 2003

Hey, at least the contract timing is better than the PFM/Oz situation. Any QB they draft this or next year will still be under contract when Flacco's expires.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• Sam_Z
            Banned User
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
            Flacco is under contract for 2019/2020/2021: https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383/ So, they have three seasons to come up with another starter if Flacco plays well enough to keep.
            I understand that but I mean is Elway comfortable paying him 17 mil plus if he only performs on a decent level!

Comment

• Sam_Z
              Banned User
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
              Hey, at least the contract timing is better than the PFM/Oz situation. Any QB they draft this or next year will still be under contract when Flacco's expires.
              Great point!

However I still think this would be the year to draft a QB.

I’d love to have Fromm, Tua, Herbert or even Trevor Lawrence in a few years but how?

The Broncos would have to pick in the top 5 for one of them and most likely number 1 for Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

There is no team that will trade out of that pick, not even for 10 Von Miller’s or 10 first round picks. lol

I guess maybe I’ve just purged the idea from my mind.

Maybe Denver could land Herbert, Tagovailoa, or Fromm IF they trade out of the first round this year with a bad team like Washington, Miami, cough*arizona*cough for a first next season.

Would broncos country get behind that idea?

We trade out of the first this year for nothing in the 2019 draft but for an extra (possibly high) first in the 2020 draft.

Two first round picks would go a long way in moving up to the top five for perhaps Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert in 2020. That is the only way I can see Denver getting one of these guys.
              Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-18-2019, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• SeNEBronco
                Practice Squad
                • Apr 2007

We take a mid round QB this year to develop/backup and Flacco is a bridge to the 2020 or 2021 draft.

Comment

• FR Tim
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by SeNEBronco View Post
                  We take a mid round QB this year to develop/backup and Flacco is a bridge to the 2020 or 2021 draft.
                  Wouldn’t Grayson (3rd rd) and Hogan (5th) fit that role?

Rather use the picks on other positions for this team, this year. Load up on late round offensive lineman or special team contributors instead of another QB.

Comment

• orange crush75
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    Wouldn’t Grayson (3rd rd) and Hogan (5th) fit that role?

Rather use the picks on other positions for this team, this year. Load up on late round offensive lineman or special team contributors instead of another QB.
                    Makes sense to me

Comment

• KWHIT97
                      Master of the Mock
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by SeNEBronco View Post
                      Jarrett Stidham in round 3 would fit that bill.

Comment

• orange crush75
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                        Jarrett Stidham in round 3 would fit that bill.
                        The problem with that is there are still good players that would be more beneficial then a Qb . We have Grayson and Hogan . Makes no sense . Now later on say 5th or even UDFA. Stidham = Grayson or Hogan .

Comment

• DenverBlood
                          Football Immortal
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                          The problem with that is there are still good players that would be more beneficial then a Qb . We have Grayson and Hogan . Makes no sense . Now later on say 5th or even UDFA. Stidham = Grayson or Hogan .
                          Hitting on a 4th round or lower qb is extremely low odds. Basically no point in doing it at that stage.

Round 3 isn’t super high odds but you can still find much more capable starters there. Personally I don’t want stidham at all because I’m an Auburn fan and i think he lacks the confidence to play in the NFL. But I wouldn’t be opposed to Finley in the third.

IF you want a legit option to replace Flacco in the next year or 2 it probably needs to be addressed in the top 3 rounds. Not on a career backup in a later round. By round 3 you could also get easier justify that the qb is bpa over other guys rather than drafting for need.

Elway May agree with you and go for more immediate impact guys. But I feel like he’ll address the position in the first three rounds.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Murph2432
                            Playmaker
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                            Great point!

However I still think this would be the year to draft a QB.

I’d love to have Fromm, Tua, Herbert or even Trevor Lawrence in a few years but how?
                            You know how? You don't trade for Flacco and you keep Keenum. You would be selecting in the top 10 again or maybe top 5. You traded for Flacco vs waiting for FA is because of cost. Yes the zero guarantee is nice but it’s really because of the bidding war. While I do t think he would cost more that he is right now, you would have to hope he chooses you over another team. Which is usually when a team overbids or throw a lot a guarantee money. It was just a smart business move and that’s it.

I’m confident Denver will not be selecting a QB at 10. There off-season moves show that they need to win this year or next. Retaining Wolfe and Sanders, signing Jackson and Callahan to 3 year deals( really 2 years). I bet Denver is Hopi g a QB is still there at 10 so they can trade back unless Oliver or White is there which I doubt.
                            Last edited by Murph2432; 04-19-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• FR Tim
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                              You know how? You don't trade for Flacco and you keep Keenum. You would be selecting in the top 10 again or maybe top 5. You traded for Flacco vs waiting for FA is because of cost. Yes the zero guarantee is nice but it’s really because of the bidding war. While I do t think he would cost more that he is right now, you would have to hope he chooses you over another team. Which is usually when a team overbids or throw a lot a guarantee money. It was just a smart business move and that’s it.

I’m confident Denver will not be selecting a QB at 10. There off-season moves show that they need to win this year or next. Retaining Wolfe and Sanders, signing Jackson and Callahan to 3 year deals( really 2 years). I bet Denver is Hopi g a QB is still there at 10 so they can trade back unless Oliver or White is there which I doubt.
                              I'm not confident they won't pick a QB. We have no clue what goes through Elway' mind on draft day. For every homerun he has some truly mystifying picks.

I don't think they will or should pick a QB but if one of these projects is sitting there he will be feeling the heat to "address the QB issue". Maybe he loves one or more of the QBs more then I do. Maybe he sees the answer to the future franchise QB and is willing to take that risk. He just can't be wrong again.

In this QB draft class I'm seeing long term projects with "potential". More likely good then great IMO. They are being overvalued because of need at QB. Just because they are the best choices this draft does not make them the best choice as players. As a group they need a lot of work. IMO it doesn't fit the win now attitude they seem to be taking this season.

We will know more next week about how Elway and CO feel about this group. Maybe there is a diamond in the rough I'm not seeing.

Comment

Working...
                              X