Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    493

    Joe Flacco and a Rookie Qb

    I think that if you look at how Flacco was acquired, its pretty obvious that we will draft a Qb in the first few rounds. There is a good reason why we traded for Flacco instead of waiting until he was released and it's not to avoid a bidding war. The FA qb market was weak and there wasn't even much hype for the #1 guy, Foles, to get interest from multiple teams.
    Joe Flacco was acquired via trade because his contract has 0 guaranteed money and no cap hit if he is released. This makes him the perfect mentor type for a young guy to come in and learn without pressure and then be handed the job with no real downside.

    Of course Elway is going to say positive things about him, that's part of the business. Elway might even truly believe that Flacco has a few more good years left, but I doubt he thinks they all take place in Denver

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,890
    I tend to think Elway does believe Flacco can give him a couple years of solid QB play.

    Gives Elway a season or two to find the ďrightĒ replacement, not just ďaĒ replacement. Also letís the dead cap to get back under control. Over $21m towards players not on the roster. Including over $8.2m on bad decisions in Keenum and Lynch.

    Also need to consider if Elway and Co really see a franchise QB in this yearís draft. Or just another marginal prospect?

    Lastly, from Flaccoís comments about being the starter and frosty comments about ďwhat if they draft a QBĒ Iím assuming it would be a bad PR situation that I doubt Elway wants to get into.

    Who knows what he chooses but Iím leaning towards we will be seeing a season or two of Flacco and a overall building of the roster and then an all in draft move next year or the year after.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    12,224
    If Flacco comes out and has a solid season (not spectacular) but solid, what does Elway when it comes time to extend him?

    I canít see Elway extending Flacco with even average QB money after the keenum debacle. Heíll have quite a bit of cap space but I donít think heís going to put a huge chunk of the cap towards Flacco.

    Iíd love to Flacco succeed in Denver because it means the Broncos are succeeding however Elway forced Manning into a restructured contract when the broncos were winning. Lol

    It may not be so bad to take Lock at 10 if there but what will everyone say if Lock performans half as good as Russel Wilson, a guy Elway passed on?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    If Flacco comes out and has a solid season (not spectacular) but solid, what does Elway when it comes time to extend him?

    I can’t see Elway extending Flacco with even average QB money after the keenum debacle. He’ll have quite a bit of cap space but I don’t think he’s going to put a huge chunk of the cap towards Flacco.

    I’d love to Flacco succeed in Denver because it means the Broncos are succeeding however Elway forced Manning into a restructured contract when the broncos were winning. Lol

    It may not be so bad to take Lock at 10 if there but what will everyone say if Lock performans half as good as Russel Wilson, a guy Elway passed on?
    Flacco is under contract for 2019/2020/2021: https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383/ So, they have three seasons to come up with another starter if Flacco plays well enough to keep.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,888
    Hey, at least the contract timing is better than the PFM/Oz situation. Any QB they draft this or next year will still be under contract when Flacco's expires.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    12,224
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Flacco is under contract for 2019/2020/2021: https://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383/ So, they have three seasons to come up with another starter if Flacco plays well enough to keep.
    I understand that but I mean is Elway comfortable paying him 17 mil plus if he only performs on a decent level!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    12,224
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Hey, at least the contract timing is better than the PFM/Oz situation. Any QB they draft this or next year will still be under contract when Flacco's expires.
    Great point!

    However I still think this would be the year to draft a QB.

    Iíd love to have Fromm, Tua, Herbert or even Trevor Lawrence in a few years but how?

    The Broncos would have to pick in the top 5 for one of them and most likely number 1 for Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

    There is no team that will trade out of that pick, not even for 10 Von Millerís or 10 first round picks. lol

    I guess maybe Iíve just purged the idea from my mind.

    Maybe Denver could land Herbert, Tagovailoa, or Fromm IF they trade out of the first round this year with a bad team like Washington, Miami, cough*arizona*cough for a first next season.

    Would broncos country get behind that idea?

    We trade out of the first this year for nothing in the 2019 draft but for an extra (possibly high) first in the 2020 draft.

    Two first round picks would go a long way in moving up to the top five for perhaps Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert in 2020. That is the only way I can see Denver getting one of these guys.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-18-2019 at 12:07 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    293
    We take a mid round QB this year to develop/backup and Flacco is a bridge to the 2020 or 2021 draft.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,725
    Quote Originally Posted by SeNEBronco View Post
    We take a mid round QB this year to develop/backup and Flacco is a bridge to the 2020 or 2021 draft.
    Jarrett Stidham in round 3 would fit that bill.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SeNEBronco View Post
    We take a mid round QB this year to develop/backup and Flacco is a bridge to the 2020 or 2021 draft.
    Wouldnít Grayson (3rd rd) and Hogan (5th) fit that role?

    Rather use the picks on other positions for this team, this year. Load up on late round offensive lineman or special team contributors instead of another QB.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Wouldnít Grayson (3rd rd) and Hogan (5th) fit that role?

    Rather use the picks on other positions for this team, this year. Load up on late round offensive lineman or special team contributors instead of another QB.
    Makes sense to me

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Jarrett Stidham in round 3 would fit that bill.
    The problem with that is there are still good players that would be more beneficial then a Qb . We have Grayson and Hogan . Makes no sense . Now later on say 5th or even UDFA. Stidham = Grayson or Hogan .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,464
    Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    The problem with that is there are still good players that would be more beneficial then a Qb . We have Grayson and Hogan . Makes no sense . Now later on say 5th or even UDFA. Stidham = Grayson or Hogan .
    Hitting on a 4th round or lower qb is extremely low odds. Basically no point in doing it at that stage.

    Round 3 isnít super high odds but you can still find much more capable starters there. Personally I donít want stidham at all because Iím an Auburn fan and i think he lacks the confidence to play in the NFL. But I wouldnít be opposed to Finley in the third.

    IF you want a legit option to replace Flacco in the next year or 2 it probably needs to be addressed in the top 3 rounds. Not on a career backup in a later round. By round 3 you could also get easier justify that the qb is bpa over other guys rather than drafting for need.

    Elway May agree with you and go for more immediate impact guys. But I feel like heíll address the position in the first three rounds.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,559
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Hitting on a 4th round or lower qb is extremely low odds. Basically no point in doing it at that stage.

    Round 3 isnít super high odds but you can still find much more capable starters there. Personally I donít want stidham at all because Iím an Auburn fan and i think he lacks the confidence to play in the NFL. But I wouldnít be opposed to Finley in the third.

    IF you want a legit option to replace Flacco in the next year or 2 it probably needs to be addressed in the top 3 rounds. Not on a career backup in a later round. By round 3 you could also get easier justify that the qb is bpa over other guys rather than drafting for need.

    Elway May agree with you and go for more immediate impact guys. But I feel like heíll address the position in the first three rounds.
    I'm with ya. It is not a simple exercise of, sign a vet, then find our QB of the future mid round, and just wait for it all to work out. If you believe you need a QB, the most important position in the game, and some say in all of sports, you show respect for the position by going for a highly ranked one....not someone in the middle or lower. Even a 2nd or 3rd is a fairly high risk, if you truly believe he is the succession plan. Again, this is one of the most important positions in all of sports. Treat it that way. Don't sulk in the corner thinking about all the good players you could select....just get your priorities aligned, and do what you need to do.


    Now....I do not mean that you should reach too far. You must be convinced that this player will progress into a good starter. BUT....if you do believe he will....you may reach a bit. That's a deal I make.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Great point!

    However I still think this would be the year to draft a QB.

    Iíd love to have Fromm, Tua, Herbert or even Trevor Lawrence in a few years but how?
    You know how? You don't trade for Flacco and you keep Keenum. You would be selecting in the top 10 again or maybe top 5. You traded for Flacco vs waiting for FA is because of cost. Yes the zero guarantee is nice but itís really because of the bidding war. While I do t think he would cost more that he is right now, you would have to hope he chooses you over another team. Which is usually when a team overbids or throw a lot a guarantee money. It was just a smart business move and thatís it.

    Iím confident Denver will not be selecting a QB at 10. There off-season moves show that they need to win this year or next. Retaining Wolfe and Sanders, signing Jackson and Callahan to 3 year deals( really 2 years). I bet Denver is Hopi g a QB is still there at 10 so they can trade back unless Oliver or White is there which I doubt.
    Last edited by Murph2432; 04-19-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •