• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sra84
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2019

sra84 mock draft

I know, I teased, yesterday, that I would post my mock draft next Wednesday, but, surprise, here it is:

When doing a mock, I do it based on what I think, not only can, but, will, likely happen, based on team's draft patterns and needs. I also look at about 6-8 different updated rankings to get an idea of where players could go.

With that being said, here we go:

Round 1, #10. Trade! I believe either Lock or Haskins will be there at #10 and I don't believe Elway and Fangio go QB. Redskins trade up for a QB. Broncos trade #10 (1300 pts on trade value chart) to Redskins for #15, #76 (round 3), and#153 (round 5), (1289.8 pts on chart).

#15. Noah Fant, TE, Iowa.
    I think Elway wants either Hockenson or Fant. He could stay at #10 and take Hockenson but the chance to add two picks and get Fant is too good to pass up. A playmaker TE for Flacco, who's best years were when he had a good TE in Baltimore.

#41. Erik McCoy, C, Texas A&M.
    Denver gets an anchor at center for a decade.

#71. Blake Cashman, LB Minnesota.
    Love this pick. Not Devin White or Devin Bush, but a quality LB.

#76. Renell Wren, DT, Arizona State.
    Has the physical tools, and with coaching and development, he could be a dynamic DT/NT.

#125. TJ Edwards, LB, Wisconsin.
    Another quality linebacker, who is always around the ball.

#148. Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern.
    Four year starter in a pro-friendly offense. I believe Elway does want to come away with a QB from this draft and I believe he gets one he likes.

#153. Jakobi Meyers, WR, NC State.
    Possession receiver, willing to go over the middle. Tough and competitive as a blocker.

#156. Nate Herbig, G, Stanford.
    Massive blocker; comes from a pro-style offense. He could flourish under Munchak's guidance.

#182. Michael Jackson, CB, Miami (FL).
    Physical and can smother receivers at the boundary. Not afraid to tackle and can hold his own in run support.

#237. Justin Collins, Edge, Oregon.
    Developmental prospect who needs to add about ten pounds. Rotational player to start. Upside is pretty good.

This is what I think is the direction that Elway and Fangio go next week.
  • kerkhoff1
    Practice Squad
    • Feb 2004

Would be extremely happy with this draft, and not far fetched either, could easily happen. Well done.

Comment

• sra84
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2019

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Comment

• sra84
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2019

I looked at possible trades with the Dolphins, Falcons, Redskins and Giants. A trade with the Redskins was the only realistic option. Plus, they have two 3rd and two 5th round picks so it's reasonable to think that they would part with one each for a QB.

Comment

• samparnell
          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
          • Nov 2007

Good mock, but one wonders who the Swing Tackle will be.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
            Football Immortal
            • May 2010

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
            I know, I teased, yesterday, that I would post my mock draft next Wednesday, but, surprise, here it is:

When doing a mock, I do it based on what I think, not only can, but, will, likely happen, based on team's draft patterns and needs. I also look at about 6-8 different updated rankings to get an idea of where players could go.

With that being said, here we go:

Round 1, #10. Trade! I believe either Lock or Haskins will be there at #10 and I don't believe Elway and Fangio go QB. Redskins trade up for a QB. Broncos trade #10 (1300 pts on trade value chart) to Redskins for #15, #76 (round 3), and#153 (round 5), (1289.8 pts on chart).

#15. Noah Fant, TE, Iowa.
            I think Elway wants either Hockenson or Fant. He could stay at #10 and take Hockenson but the chance to add two picks and get Fant is too good to pass up. A playmaker TE for Flacco, who's best years were when he had a good TE in Baltimore.

#41. Erik McCoy, C, Texas A&M.
            Denver gets an anchor at center for a decade.

#71. Blake Cashman, LB Minnesota.
            Love this pick. Not Devin White or Devin Bush, but a quality LB.

#76. Renell Wren, DT, Arizona State.
            Has the physical tools, and with coaching and development, he could be a dynamic DT/NT.

#125. TJ Edwards, LB, Wisconsin.
            Another quality linebacker, who is always around the ball.

#148. Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern.
            Four year starter in a pro-friendly offense. I believe Elway does want to come away with a QB from this draft and I believe he gets one he likes.

#153. Jakobi Meyers, WR, NC State.
            Possession receiver, willing to go over the middle. Tough and competitive as a blocker.

#156. Nate Herbig, G, Stanford.
            Massive blocker; comes from a pro-style offense. He could flourish under Munchak's guidance.

#182. Michael Jackson, CB, Miami (FL).
            Physical and can smother receivers at the boundary. Not afraid to tackle and can hold his own in run support.

#237. Justin Collins, Edge, Oregon.
            Developmental prospect who needs to add about ten pounds. Rotational player to start. Upside is pretty good.

This is what I think is the direction that Elway and Fangio go next week.
            i don't think Fant is a good enough inline blocker or Inline TE. one of the things i keep reading about him is you need to give him outside routes and move him around to get him going. i find it worrisome for such a high pick.i feel like and look at the Type of TE that Fant is. and the numbers those guys put up are not really what i would like to see of a pick that high.
            Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 04-18-2019, 10:10 PM.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• sra84
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2019

Herbig saw snaps at both guard and tackle at Stanford last year, so I think he could step in and play tackle, if needed. He's just listed as a guard.

As for the Fant selection, that's just what I think the pick would be if we trade down. I would prefer Hockenson, myself, if we went TE in the first round. I just have gotten the sense that Elway really likes both Hockenson and Fant.

My first round choices would be any one of Haskins, Hockenson, Oliver, White, Bush, or Dillard.
              Last edited by sra84; 04-19-2019, 05:50 AM. Reason: Re-word my statement.

Comment

• samparnell
                Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                • Nov 2007

Herbig saw snaps at both guard and tackle at Stanford last year, so I think he could step in and play tackle, if needed. He's just listed as a guard.

As for the Fant selection, that's just what I think the pick would be if we trade down. I would prefer Hockenson, myself, if we went TE in the first round. I just have gotten the sense that Elway really likes both Hockenson and Fant.

My first round choices would be any one of Haskins, Hockenson, Oliver, White, Bush, or Dillard.
                I don't think Nate Herbig will play T in the NFL. So, if a Swing Tackle isn't signed or drafted, the choices are Elijah Wilkinson, Don Barclay, Austin Schlottmann or a 2019 UDFA. Take your pick. If they re-signed Veldheer, I think he'd be a good game day Swing Tackle. Otherwise, it might be best to draft a T.

Comment

• sra84
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2019

They very well could draft a tackle at some point. Can never have enough good offensive lineman.
                  Last edited by sra84; 04-19-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• sra84
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2019

Actually, I did look at Dennis Daley, the OT from South Carolina, as a possible option. There's a few profiles that suggest he's a viable option as a swing tackle, who could develop into a starter. I think he's projected as a 4th or 5th round prospect. He's a possibility.

Comment

• crp24lbc
                      Practice Squad
                      • Apr 2017

There is NO WAY u give up value on the trade chart when the other team is trading up for a QB. I would be extremely disappointed in not only the players drafted in this mock (TEs are just not worth top 15 picks I dont care who they are), but also the fact that we gave up a top 10 pick and all we got back was a 3rd and a 5th. Not smart business

Comment

• samparnell
                        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                        • Nov 2007

Actually, I did look at Dennis Daley, the OT from South Carolina, as a possible option. There's a few profiles that suggest he's a viable option as a swing tackle, who could develop into a starter. I think he's projected as a 4th or 5th round prospect. He's a possibility.
                        That could work. He might be available in the 5th, 6th or 7th.

Comment

• sra84
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2019

The compensation for a trade back has to be realistic. Every team uses the same value chart, every team values their picks, especially, since the rookie wage scale was instituted in the collective bargaining agreement. And, again, my mock is based on what I have heard and read on Elway wanting to move back and being high on both Hockenson and Fant.
                          But, please, feel free to share your mock and how to fleece someone in a trade.

Comment

• sra84
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by crp24lbc View Post
                            There is NO WAY u give up value on the trade chart when the other team is trading up for a QB. I would be extremely disappointed in not only the players drafted in this mock (TEs are just not worth top 15 picks I dont care who they are), but also the fact that we gave up a top 10 pick and all we got back was a 3rd and a 5th. Not smart business
                            Just curious, what about all of these players don't you like?

Comment

• sra84
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2019

And I love the people who won't draft a player at a certain spot just because of the position. It's such a lame, tired argument.

Think Rob Gronkowski or Tony Gonzalez wouldn't go top 15, in hindsight, if teams had the chance to? Think the Colts regret taking Quenton Nelson, a guard, over tackles Mike McGlinchey or Kolton Miller, last year?

Comment

Working...
                              X