Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Last Few Days Before The Draft Rise and Fall Thread

Almost every year, about this time, a player or two (or more) fall quickly or even rise a bit, sometimes because of some video or old story that pops up. It is usually a negative, because anything positive now will not likely shoot a player up the draft boards. If anything, the more solid, conservative choices might rise a bit, because teams prefer a clean, quality player....even if not a flashy type. Teams sometimes flush out the more "interesting" players just before the draft, because it starts to sink in how much they have to lose if the player does not pan out.

On the positive side, I can see Bosa being the guy that pretty much every team will covet at this point in the draft, because he is a quality player, with a great pedigree. He is like gold come draft time. He will go by #3 no matter what Arizona does.

But I see some minor dropping of at least one player, which may gather steam.....as an example, Haskins. A pretty good QB, but some folks have lost some excitement over this player. I doubt he will fall far, but the number of teams who really like him might be fewer than a week ago. Could be a good value pick as a result.

Then there's the more "impactful" concerns. Something that goes viral about one or more of these young men. Almost unfair in my books, unless it has been totally unknown til now. Like a guy with a bong! That was pretty impactful. Or a player with an injury that was either unknown or misdiagnosed.

I sure hope this is not going to happen again, unless it is a blatant issue that legitimately causes big concern. Hard to believe it can even happen, given the microscopes on these guys. But people will be people, and they will look high and low.

So, any players dropping, or hopefully rising of late, that you can identify?
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-23-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Q. Williams. not that he deserves the fall, but I can see him going from consensus (sp) #1 or 2 in Jan to possibly 8-13 just based on the insanity that the NFL is with regards to QBs

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Q. Williams. not that he deserves the fall, but I can see him going from consensus (sp) #1 or 2 in Jan to possibly 8-13 just based on the insanity that the NFL is with regards to QBs
    If he becomes available at #10 that would be incredible. Don't understand why he would drop but he is arguably the best player in the draft.

I’ll go out on a limb and say if Murray doesn’t go 1 he falls. Not far but down a bit.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I’ll go out on a limb and say if Murray doesn’t go 1 he falls. Not far but down a bit.
    I agree with this one. They need to trade Rosen before the draft pick. Once they select Murray then Rosenís value plummets. Thatís something Iím keeping my eye on.

The media tried to make a story connecting Kingsbury's October comment to the taking Murray, but Kyler was never going to be anything but a mid to late 1st round prospect.

People certainly eat up whatever the media feeds them though. Much like the Rosen as QB1 narrative much of last year.

I think Rashan Gary will drop to mid to late teens. Shoulder tear is found and needs surgery at some point. Can play this year, but will eventually need surgery, and is at risk of fully tearing it at any point. Also....Montez Sweat. With his heart condition....I don't see teams taking either one of these guys top 15, they were both top 10 for the past three months
    Last edited by skeeter01; 04-23-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Trace McSorley QB Penn State. He can pick up any offense and is really bright at the position. He doesn't have a lot of experience under center and his senior bowl reviews were mixed, but it was interesting to see Gruden went to McSorley before Daniel Jones in the sr. bowl. He would make a great backup for teams with mobile QBs but it won't surprise me to see him making plays this pre season and at camp.

He has been the best player on a team that routinely puts out NFL talent. It's easy to look at his decline from 2 years ago to last season and have questions, but if you know how PSU was run they lost guys at positions who really dominated the snaps. Offensive players like Gesicki (Mia) Barkley (NY) and Hamilton (Den) all had great chemistry and this past season McSorley at times really pushed the envelope when the new guys struggled. Most former teammates seem to share the same thoughts and laugh at the notion that he is a fringe player. Most rankings originally suggested UDFA or 7th Rd, but I have seen some recent ones to that show him in the 4th/5th range. I think a team is going view him like Washington did with Cousins- as a quality back-up....and like Washington will be pleasantly surprised.

Daniel Jones will rise, he went from being an early 2nd/late 1st to now rumored to be the Giants target at 6 overall

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    The media tried to make a story connecting Kingsbury's October comment to the taking Murray, but Kyler was never going to be anything but a mid to late 1st round prospect.

People certainly eat up whatever the media feeds them though. Much like the Rosen as QB1 narrative much of last year.
    I guess that’s what I a, getting at...if the rumours are just that...he falls.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Dawson Knox TE
    He has really good speed and like many TEs don't have a ton of plays to judge, but he is similar to George Kittle in his big play ability and speed. Knox only had like 20 receptions last year but carried an 18 ypc average and as a former QB he is really raw.
    I would love to add more athleticism to our TEs so I was happy to see both Knox and Fant listed in our top 30 visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    I can see this, because DTs take longer to develop, and if you are a bottom type team, you might go DE/OLB first.

This may be true, because Murray does not fit some teams. Then again, he might make a good argument for changing the way a team does things!!

But if nothing else, this will be the guy to watch on Thursday, because if Arizona passes on him, the draft will go wild and whacky!

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Daniel Jones will rise, he went from being an early 2nd/late 1st to now rumored to be the Giants target at 6 overall
    I agree. He is getting more and more love as we speak!

I haven't been paying much attention the last couple of weeks, so a lot of the research I done throughout the year, and the opinions I formed are probably way off now in terms of projecting guys, the process is crazy like that. But is the talk of Quinton Williams dropping actually happening ? If Williams drops into that 7-8 range, he is a player I would entertain moving up for. I also think Elway has shown he loves the exciting defensive prospect, and Williams falling, like Chubb did a little a year ago, that could be hard to resist.

How has the cornerback group played out throughout the last month of the process ? I didn't think anyone was a sure fire top 15 pick from what I seen, but has that levelled out ? If we were to move back in the draft is it looking like we would still have a shot at a Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams ? I wouldn't draft Greedy personally, he is on my undraftable list due to his effort and lack of physicality, but he can cover really well.

I spent most of my time researching quarterbacks and offensive lineman, and I hope we don't make a move to trade up and take any quarterback in this class, but I would be okay with taking Lock and Haskins at 10, I still don't see them as future franchise quarterbacks though. I like the offensive tackle and offensive guard group, and I really hope we go in that direction, I just wonder how that group has shaped up on team boards, because I had a quick look at some rankings, and it's completely different to how I had it a month or so ago.

It will only take 1 piece of the puzzle to fall out of place for the entire draft board to come unraveled. Just like Chubb falling to Denver last year at 5 was completely unexpected, this year Murray dropping down, Jones moving up, quarterback hysteria, last second character questions, or any number of sudden and unexpected scenarios could force GMís into considering a player or scenario they hadnít expected to fall. I think there are a few guys in the draft getting strong consideration from Denver, but I wonít be surprised with virtually any pick we make this year because our needs are so broad.

Love the thread, good topic.

I'm going to say 2 qb's are going to fall compared to the "rumors and projected spots now". I don't think Murray goes 1, I hope he does, but I don't think so. I think they stick with Rosen and maybe even trade out of 1.

Jones, I here people having him mid to upper first round. I don't think so, lotta late hype. I don't think he comes off the board on day 1.
    ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē

― Mark Twain