Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NFL GM Power Rankings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ert-rank-top-5

RANK 14

John Elway, Broncos
    Elway probably got too much credit for the excellent Broncos run earlier this decade culminating in a Super Bowl trophy. And now the good work he did back then is probably too forgotten, with Denver fumbling the post-Manning era. The Broncos' ever-changing coaching staff reflects more poorly on Elway than his inability to fix the offensive line, although Elway snagged a promising pair of football lifers in head coach Vic Fangio and offensive line coach Mike Munchak.
    RANK 10

Tom Telesco, Chargers
    Few general managers have bigger hits spread across the draft ( Joey Bosa, No. 3 overall; Derwin James, No. 17; Keenan Allen, No. 76; Desmond King, No. 151) and free agency ( Casey Hayward, Russell Okung) than Telesco. Then again, the organization has underperformed, considering Philip Rivers' Hall of Fame-level of play. The team's lines remain unfinished on both sides of the ball.
    both true statements and both GM's seem to be going in opposite directions.

Welcome Back! #85

RANK 1

Bill Belichick, Patriots

It's never just about one way of acquiring players for New England. Whether it's the Pats' stockpiling of compensatory picks or their league-leading use of "pick swap" trades, no team is more creative at filling in roster gaps. Belichick balances long-term planning with vital short-term veteran patches better than anyone. The Pats' long-running reliance on trades and one-year solutions is being adapted by many teams around the league.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    RANK 1

Bill Belichick, Patriots

It's never just about one way of acquiring players for New England. Whether it's the Pats' stockpiling of compensatory picks or their league-leading use of "pick swap" trades, no team is more creative at filling in roster gaps. Belichick balances long-term planning with vital short-term veteran patches better than anyone. The Pats' long-running reliance on trades and one-year solutions is being adapted by many teams around the league.
    yeah, that's not a debate. nobody comes close. however, i will say that there are GM's that have kept talent and managed the roster better than him. but even the talent he's lost or lack of talent his team has had at times, it hasn't mattered much.

Welcome Back! #85

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    yeah, that's not a debate. nobody comes close. however, i will say that there are GM's that have kept talent and managed the roster better than him. but even the talent he's lost or lack of talent his team has had at times, it hasn't mattered much.
    I know itís an active list and thereís no doubt Belichick knows what heís doing but when considering all time history, one would have to consider former Broncos GM John Ralston who was responsible for such players are Louis Wright, Tom Jackson, Steve Foley, Barney Chavous etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I know it’s an active list and there’s no doubt Belichick knows what he’s doing but when considering all time history, one would have to consider former Broncos GM John Ralston who was responsible for such players are Louis Wright, Tom Jackson, Steve Foley, Barney Chavous etc.
    but not shanahan? let me ask you.....who's done/did a better job as a GM? shanahan or elway?

Welcome Back! #85

but not shanahan? let me ask you.....who's done/did a better job as a GM? shanahan or elway?
    Elway has been a joke so far as GM. He was propped up by signing Manning. Shanahan turned loveable loser Elway into a super bowl winner.m

Shanahan won with Elway x2.
    Elway won one without Shanahan but lured Manning here to win one.
    So, I'll go with Elway x3.

If winning the Lombardi is the end goal, why is a GM with a future Hall of Fame QB (Rivers) who has NEVER won one ranked above a GM who has won one? We're all biased to some degree as I'm sure the creator of the list is too.

I find it cute that fans of a "higher rated" GM are on the Broncos message board trying to prove how amazing their non-Super Bowl winning GM is. #Amused

Shanahan was a great coach in Denver however he was one of thee most arrogant decision makers weíve ever seen.

His coaching was great but his power trip moves really hurt him in the long run and this team.

Scape goating your defensive coordinators for 6 straight years is unheard of in most other organizations.

Now donít get me wrong, some deserved to be fired but guys like Larry Coyer and perhaps Ray Rhoades deserved a lot more and they definitely deserved more say on not only their side of the ball but with personnel selections as well and all know Shanahan made the majority of the decisions.

Shanny passed on guys like Ed Reed, Stephen Jackson and Drew Brees for guys named Ashley Lelie, Dj Willams and Brian Griese. That right there should say everything we need to know in order to prove his arrogance.

As for Elway, he seems have been in over his head more often than not and that is not a shot at him. I feel heís doing his best even with the unprecedented ways he handled the situations with some of his own in house key offensive free agents.

For example, Chris Kuper, JD Walton, Zane Beadles and now most recently Matt Paradis have all been somewhat pushed out the door for being injured in contract years.

I understand it is hard to extend an offensive linemen coming off a serious injury but I think there are other ways John could have handled things with his own guys as opposed to paying the Donald Stephensonís, Menelik Watsons, and Jared Veldheers of the world. Who were all casts offs from their original teams.

Case Keenum was a horrible signing, Paxton Lynch was a horrible draft pick but one has to consider the bright spots such as Peyton Manning, Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Aqib Talib.

Has John been arrogant? Of course but no where near the arrogance of Mike Shanahan.

Both Shanahan and Elway have made some extreme bone headed decisions in their time.

For example as allowing Wade Philips to walk away was just ridiculous but trading away your greatest chest piece that never got a legitimate shot to happen in Clinton Portis was even more ridiculous and mainly due to Shanahans arrogance.

I love Champ but Imagine the threat of both Jake Plummer and Clinton Portis in the zone blocking scheme! I think that could had translated to another super bowl victory or two somewhere between 2003-08

Not trashing either GM and I understand you want me to say Shanahan was better however I am not going to say that because in all honesty I donít think he was better in the GM role.

I will say that I think theyíd be considered about even at this point with all the good and their bad with a slight edge going to John Elway.

Shanahan would have had even far greater success if he would had just stuck to coaching and not so much decision making!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-24-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Shanahan won with Elway x2.
    Elway won one without Shanahan but lured Manning here to win one.
    So, I'll go with Elway x3.
    elway never won a ring without shanahan and he had a QB better than him make him look better than he actually is as a GM.

If winning the Lombardi is the end goal, why is a GM with a future Hall of Fame QB (Rivers) who has NEVER won one ranked above a GM who has won one? We're all biased to some degree as I'm sure the creator of the list is too.
    this is a really igniorant take i see a lot around here.

#1 getting good players and keeping them is the GM's job. he has nothing to do with coaching or playing the games. yes, a GM deserves some credit for winning but they often get too much credit, which is clearly the case with elway.

#2 if your opinion was accurate, no GM that has ever won a SB would need to worry about his job status. shanahan would never have been fired, he won two rings as a GM and coach after all!

do you really think that the SB he won as a GM will save his job if things keep going down the current path he has taken the broncos?

do you people who make these types of arguments not see how dumb that is? i mean seriously?

I find it cute that fans of a "higher rated" GM are on the Broncos message board trying to prove how amazing their non-Super Bowl winning GM is. #Amused
    I don't think i ever said TT was amazing, most of you gushed over how great of a GM elway is at one time or another and now it's time to pay the smack piper. i'm here to talk smack, stop whining and get a better take than the lazy trophy polish one that isn't even remotely logical.

Welcome Back! #85

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Shanahan was a great coach in Denver however he was one of thee most arrogant decision makers we’ve ever seen.
    and elway isn't? success tends to make some GM's arrogant. it happened with AJ smith, his GM style was very similar to elway's. all i know is that was a good team he put together in the late 90's that IMO was the best broncos team of all time and i'm not saying that just because they won two rings. it is true that elway probably made shanahan look better as a coach and GM than he actually was but there was a lot of talent on that team.

by the way.....happy draft day! this is a big test for tom telesco because every time i do a mock i cringe at the decision he will have to make with each pick. i think this will be his most difficult draft yet.

Welcome Back! #85

and elway isn't? success tends to make some GM's arrogant. it happened with AJ smith, his GM style was very similar to elway's. all i know is that was a good team he put together in the late 90's that IMO was the best broncos team of all time and i'm not saying that just because they won two rings. it is true that elway probably made shanahan look better as a coach and GM than he actually was but there was a lot of talent on that team.

by the way.....happy draft day! this is a big test for tom telesco because every time i do a mock i cringe at the decision he will have to make with each pick. i think this will be his most difficult draft yet.
    It wasnt only the greatest broncos team of all time but definitely one of thee greatest in history. Everything came together perfectly.

However even though Shanahan didnít draft Elway or Sharpe, he did Draft Mobley, Davis, Pryce, Nalen etc. while signing Schlereth, Smith, Crocket, Habib, Zimmerman. Free agents were easier to sign back then in my opinion.

But for every good move Shanny made, he also made serious blunders down the road. Kind of what is happening to Elway right now.

I never said Shanahan was a bad coach or GM, I said Iíd rank Elway above him due to shannys arrogance. Shanahan would have had far more success had he not became the control freak that he was toward the end of his tenure with the Broncos.

I used to refer to him as little Caesar
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.

One thing that should be noted about Elway is he definitely knows what type of players he wants. Itís up to those players to perform to fullest of their potential.

Heís not so much like Shanahan, where shanahan would sign players like Darryl Gardner, Courtney Brown, Kavika Pittman etc. plug them in and expect above average results!

elway never won a ring without shanahan and he had a QB better than him make him look better than he actually is as a GM.
    As a GM, Elway won a ring without Shanahan, making it his third.

this is a really igniorant take i see a lot around here.

#1 getting good players and keeping them is the GM's job. he has nothing to do with coaching or playing the games. yes, a GM deserves some credit for winning but they often get too much credit, which is clearly the case with elway.

#2 if your opinion was accurate, no GM that has ever won a SB would need to worry about his job status. shanahan would never have been fired, he won two rings as a GM and coach after all!

do you really think that the SB he won as a GM will save his job if things keep going down the current path he has taken the broncos?

do you people who make these types of arguments not see how dumb that is? i mean seriously?
    In my book, the end goal is the Lombardi.
    What do you think the Chargers GM hopes to achieve at the end of the year?
    Participation trophies?

(The only other acceptable answer besides the Lombardi is Profit, which your drivel failed to express.)

I don't think i ever said TT was amazing, most of you gushed over how great of a GM elway is at one time or another and now it's time to pay the smack piper. i'm here to talk smack, stop whining and get a better take than the lazy trophy polish one that isn't even remotely logical.

It's a shame you do not have a trophy to smack polish.
    It's a thing of beauty. We only have three and we want more!

P.S. You have zero.

BB the GM kills the draft once again!!!

Another bonehead thread by the master troller with nothing better to do than stir up non-existent controversy about the Broncos. Never ending hate for Elway derived from the love of a rival team that has never been fortunate to enjoy success due to a basically boring 58 year history. The entire reason for this thread is to rile up Bronco fans to debate the faults between Shanahan and Elway. NOBODY CARES! Lame topic! They both have SB rings and brought great victories to the city of Denver and its terrific fans! That's all that really matters baphamet and you know it despite you never being able to experience the thrill of an ultimate victory and crowning glory as NFL CHAMPIONS X3!
    Utah Bronco Freak