Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Brady is an interesting standard. In his own words "My wife makes a ton of money" should not be underestimated.

Below is the contract Harris signed. He had a signing bonus of $10m and guaranteed $24M. Neither in the same ballpark of his peers who have signed for more years, more bonus, more guaranteed and more annual. He has never been a top 10 paid CB. One year he was 13th, declining ever since to the low 20's now.

Nice point about him being the highest paid #2. For a season. And there we multiple tandems that made more then Talib/Harris. But since he was the Broncos #1 CB last year and will be again this year shouldn't he be getting paid at least as much as the older and and arguably less talented (certainly less rated) Jackson? The #2 CB/Safety.

Harris has outperformed his contract for multiple years.
    He has established himself in the league as one of the best. He is not the UDFA that should be thankful for the opportunity. He has earned the pay raise with his play on the field. And despite the negative opinions his leadership too. I hope Elway hasn't burned this bridge. Find a way to compromise and pay the man. Hopefully there is still enough good will left that it is less then the $15m market value. But $8M is ridiculous. So is not thinking signing Jackson at $11M wasn't going to be noticed and ruffle some feathers.

Lastly, those proposing the "screw you" stance of he is under contract and should just shut up and play. Sure Elway can technically play it that way but I sincerely hope he doesn't. That is a negotiation tactic that typically backfires. You either lose the player for pennies on the dollar, endure a contentious year or have to pay him full market price in the end.

Chris Harris signed a 5 year, $42,500,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $24,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,500,000. In 2019, Harris will earn a base salary of $7,800,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $8,766,668 and a dead cap value of $866,668.

CONTRACT TERMS:5 yr(s) / $42,500,000 SIGNING BONUS$10,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$8,500,000 GTD AT SIGN:$10,900,000 TOTAL GTD:$24,000,000
    Thanks for the clarfication of being 13th highest paid corner at time of signing. Still pretty damn good for a #2 cb. Chris at the time was the top slot CB (which by the way one of the top slot CB's today just signed with us for $7 million a year in today's money). Chris has since evolved into a sure fire #1 CB.

In regards to our contract to Jackson, that is what today's contracts are at. Chris should not be worth Kareem because he is still under contract. What do you think would happen to the league if every time a new contract was surpassed by another player that the player under contract demanded his contract be renogotiated? I mean is Kirk Cousins even close to the top 6 or 7 Qbs in the league? No way...but he was one of most recent to cash in on the new standard.

Chris has been amazing for us, but if we give in to him, we set a bad standard for all future players.

If he wants to extend his contract at this point it should be at a discount, not to his demands of highest paid CB. Taking on risk of a player coming off injury, now 30 years old and still under contract should come at a discount. The only way he has any leverage to be the highest paid player is if his contract has expired and he is a free agent...like a Kirk Cousins or Kareem Jackson

I agree, both sides shouldn't have the screw you attitude (even though admittedly I feel that way towards Chris and other players who demand restructures). Chris I know feels disrespected and has used ill advised ways to express it publicly. Equally the Broncos have a team to run and equally probably feel disrespected that he doesn't want to honor his contract. Once emotions cool hopefully that middle ground can be found that makes sense for both parties.
    Last edited by MarshallMoss; 05-04-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

[/B]

Sure Miller came down. When Elway more then doubled his guaranteed money from initial offer of $38m to $70M.
    Honestly I'd like that idea with Chj we offer him more garuanteed money then any where else even it is a bit lower per year

[/B]

Sure Miller came down. When Elway more then doubled his guaranteed money from initial offer of $38m to $70M.
    38x2=76

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    38x2=76
    Thanks for the correction. Obviously I ran out of fingers and toes

[/B]

Von asked for more than $70 million in guaranteed money. When he refused to take Elwayís offer of $114.5 million with $70 million in guaranteed money, Elway pulled the offer before the July deadline. Elway was prepared to go into the season with Von sitting out.

I believe Elway will work with Chris Harris Jr. on a deal, but not at the price heís asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Von asked for more than $70 million in guaranteed money. When he refused to take Elwayís offer of $114.5 million with $70 million in guaranteed money, Elway pulled the offer before the July deadline. Elway was prepared to go into the season with Von sitting out.

I believe Elway will work with Chris Harris Jr. on a deal, but not at the price heís asking.
    We are splitting hairs here but Broncos initial offer was $114m/$38m guaranteed.

What number do you think Miller was asking? I donít remember specifically. But $70m was already close to the highest guaranteed to a defensive player. That year Suh was at $77m. How much higher was Miller starting his negotiation at?

So by your comment Miller ďcompromisedĒ by settling for $10-15m less at most? Yet Elway moved $32m off his initial offer. Who won that compromise?

I would prefer Elway avoid getting into another game of brinksmanship in June/July with Harris. If it hasnít already unnecessarily bruised too many egos.

There are always ways to work the books to give the man a deserved $4-5m raise. Prefer it gets resolved so Fangio and coaches can focus on getting the best team possible ready for the season not distracted by holdouts or ongoing negotiations.

He is going to have enough to deal with trying to minimize the inevitable QB controversy before a game snap is ever taken.

We are splitting hairs here but Broncos initial offer was $114m/$38m guaranteed.

What number do you think Miller was asking? I donít remember specifically. But $70m was already close to the highest guaranteed to a defensive player. That year Suh was at $77m. How much higher was Miller starting his negotiation at?

So by your comment Miller ďcompromisedĒ by settling for $10-15m less at most? Yet Elway moved $32m off his initial offer. Who won that compromise?

I would prefer Elway avoid getting into another game of brinksmanship in June/July with Harris. If it hasnít already unnecessarily bruised too many egos.

There are always ways to work the books to give the man a deserved $4-5m raise. Prefer it gets resolved so Fangio and coaches can focus on getting the best team possible ready for the season not distracted by holdouts or ongoing negotiations.

He is going to have enough to deal with trying to minimize the inevitable QB controversy before a game snap is ever taken.
    We donít know how much more he asked for but we know it was more than $70 million. Another aspect was the time period for fully vesting the guaranteed money. Von demanded the full guaranteed money over two years of the contract (or more based on reports at the time).

Elway refused to pay the entire guaranteed money in two seasons. When Von refused to agree to take the guaranteed money over three seasons, Elway pulled the offer back. Ultimately Von agreed to drop $9 million from the total guaranteed money through the first two years.

Elway put the deal on the line, e.g. agree to terms or have Von sit out the season on the franchise tag. Von blinked and didnít hold out with a ridiculous demand for the full guaranteed money to be paid out in two seasons. Ultimately Elway was able to bring down the demand for guaranteed money north of $70 million and extend the timeline in which it would be paid.

Itís not about wining or losing the negotiation, rather the responsibility of managing the franchise with the entire roster. Players donít have that responsibility.

As you give so much credit to Von Miller for securing so much guaranteed money, who ultimately paid the price? Think on that for a moment.....
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 05-04-2019 at 09:33 AM.

CHJ has a contract for next season. He can sit out, but Le'veon Bell showed sitting out a season doesn't mean more money and I don't see CHJ not wanting to get paid this season. If we let him walk after next season, the compensatory pick value if he signs somewhere else will probably be about the same as if we traded him.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    CHJ has a contract for next season. He can sit out, but Le'veon Bell showed sitting out a season doesn't mean more money and I don't see CHJ not wanting to get paid this season. If we let him walk after next season, the compensatory pick value if he signs somewhere else will probably be about the same as if we traded him.
    Right. End of the 3rd round. He could be tagged after this year as well.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Right. End of the 3rd round. He could be tagged after this year as well.
    The ideal situation is that both sides come to a fair agreement. But honestly, if Chris doesn't want to budge from being in the highest paid CB territory than that's the direction I would go.

Let him play out his contract and possibly franchise him moving forward. Take the compensation pick from him when he eventually leaves as a free agent (like stated would be about the same we would get in a trade).

If he wants to sit...I hate to say it...let him sit. And receive our comp pick when he finally moves on.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

Some of you continue to state that Harris ďhas to forget about being among the highest paid CBs at $15mĒ .

Curious about what some of you consider a fair pay raise?

Top 3 CB is over $14 m
    Top 10 CB is over $12m
    Jackson at 13th at $11m
    Harris at 24th at $8.5m

What would the limit be in your scenarios?

Personally, I donít think Harris passes the eye test when it comes to being great. I donít care what stats might seem to indicate.

I think if heís your best corner, youíre not going to have a truly great secondary.

Heís a good corner but not good enough to be holding the team hostage.

The teamís success will not rest on whether or not Harris is on the team.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Personally, I donít think Harris passes the eye test when it comes to being great. I donít care what stats might seem to indicate.

I think if heís your best corner, youíre not going to have a truly great secondary.

Heís a good corner but not good enough to be holding the team hostage.

The teamís success will not rest on whether or not Harris is on the team.
    Also a valid point.

Some of you continue to state that Harris “has to forget about being among the highest paid CBs at $15m” .

Curious about what some of you consider a fair pay raise?

Top 3 CB is over $14 m
    Top 10 CB is over $12m
    Jackson at 13th at $11m
    Harris at 24th at $8.5m

What would the limit be in your scenarios?
    If Harris were a free agent, he could have a team make him the highest paid CB (15 million plus). But that is how crazy free agency works, it sets new highs and overpays some players big time.

Chris is not a free agent. He is requesting an extension on an existing contract. He is coming off an injury and now 30 years old. I believe he is not entitled to free agent kind of money while he has a contract.

I would say 13 million would be kind of the max on a 3 year deal and maybe 12 million on a 4 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Personally, I don’t think Harris passes the eye test when it comes to being great. I don’t care what stats might seem to indicate.

I think if he’s your best corner, you’re not going to have a truly great secondary.

He’s a good corner but not good enough to be holding the team hostage.

The team’s success will not rest on whether or not Harris is on the team.
    Would you rather have Chris and pay him 12 million a year or Patrick Peterson (or take your CB pick) and pay him 15million a year?