• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broncolee
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Lol and we’ll all say 15 million is a fair asking just as many did when Osweiler walked for Houston.
    I’m actually not worried because who would be a bigger free agent next season other than CHJ?

Nobody, so unlike Osweiler we can tag Harris again.
    Harris might be at or near the top of free agent corners, but not the top free agent.

The question the Broncos have to ask themselves is whether or not it’s worth it to pay Harris a bunch of money just because it’s his turn to get a deal.

There’s only so much money you can invest in a defense when you want to be a perennial contender.

Harris is a bit old to be building up for Drew Lock, who might not even see the field this season or next.

I hope the Broncos at the very least do let the free agent market set the price for Harris.

They should transition tag him so that other teams might be willing to negotiate with him and they would be guaranteed to have a chance to match.
    Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
      team preacher
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
      Harris might be at or near the top of free agent corners, but not the top free agent.

The question the Broncos have to ask themselves is whether or not it’s worth it to pay Harris a bunch of money just because it’s his turn to get a deal.

There’s only so much money you can invest in a defense when you want to be a perennial contender.

Harris is a bit old to be building up for Drew Lock, who might not even see the field this season or next.

I hope the Broncos at the very least do let the free agent market set the price for Harris.

They should transition tag him so that other teams might be willing to negotiate with him and they would be guaranteed to have a chance to match.
      I would think with Harris’s work ethic it would be safe to assume he’s got at least 3 good years left. That’s enough to warrant a nice extension.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• MHSalute
        Ring of Famer
        • Feb 2011

CHJ is a great slot CB and a good boundary CB. We already filled the slot CB position with Callahan for about half the cost of CHJ. Jackson can also play slot, so not sure spending here will make us much better. Would rather see that money go to Simmons and Parks, could keep both for the cost of CHJ imo.

CHJ is also great man CB and think zone will be the preference in Vic's D. I'm just not sure CHJ fits the new D at his price tag.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• MarshallMoss
          Special Teams
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
          CHJ is a great slot CB and a good boundary CB. We already filled the slot CB position with Callahan for about half the cost of CHJ. Jackson can also play slot, so not sure spending here will make us much better. Would rather see that money go to Simmons and Parks, could keep both for the cost of CHJ imo.

CHJ is also great man CB and think zone will be the preference in Vic's D. I'm just not sure CHJ fits the new D at his price tag.
          Interesting. Do you think CHJ thinks this Defense might not be the best fit for him? If so, going into a contract year might be why he is holding out now.

Hmmmm
          "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• Sam_Z
            Banned User
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
            Interesting. Do you think CHJ thinks this Defense might not be the best fit for him? If so, going into a contract year might be why he is holding out now.

Hmmmm
            If that is the case, then he should rationally (not through social media) request a sit down with John and his agent, explain how he feels and request a trade.

Make sure John and his minion understand that they cannot set the price so high that it becomes outrageously impossible for anyone to make a trade. They need to understand that they need to move Chris and they need to do it early enough.

Comment

• WYBRONCO
              Football Immortal
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
              If that is the case, then he should rationally (not through social media) request a sit down with John and his agent, explain how he feels and request a trade.

Make sure John and his minion understand that they cannot set the price so high that it becomes outrageously impossible for anyone to make a trade. They need to understand that they need to move Chris and they need to do it early enough.
              I think this would be a little short sided of CHJ at this point. I really think he needs to work in this system till at least mid June before he says nope, I need to move on.

Comment

• MHSalute
                Ring of Famer
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post

Hmmmm
                Think he knows boundary corners get paid more and wants to be outside in his contract year for sure. Callahan was as good as anyone last year in the slot and got 7 per year. I think a 30 year old corner, going into a new system is definitely trying to get paid now.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should get paid, but that does not mean the contract is going to be the best thing for us.
                Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• FR Tim
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                  Think he knows boundary corners get paid more and wants to be outside in his contract year for sure. Callahan was as good as anyone last year in the slot and got 7 per year. I think a 30 year old corner, going into a new system is definitely trying to get paid now.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should get paid, but that does not mean the contract is going to be the best thing for us.
                  What do you mean when you say “best thing for us”?

Financially or on the field? Which is the priority?

Financially is to force him to play out his contract. Wins and losses it is better to have talented players on the field. So negotiate a better contract.

How this plays out will reveal what is most important to the FO.

Comment

• ArchAngel
                    Special Teams
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    What do you mean when you say “best thing for us”?

Financially or on the field? Which is the priority?

Financially is to force him to play out his contract. Wins and losses it is better to have talented players on the field. So negotiate a better contract.

How this plays out will reveal what is most important to the FO.
                    So, if the Broncos were to pay Harris say, one million dollare more, which is technically a "better contract", and Harris still refuses. Do the Broncos still have a priority to meet his demands even if they are not sure if he fits the new system, still questions about his knee, etc.?

Comment

• montee2ball
                      Bench Warmer
                      • Apr 2014

Miami just extended CB Xavier Howard to a 5 year $76.5 million contract making him the highest paid corner. What will this do for extending CHJ?

Comment

• samparnell
                        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                        Miami just extended CB Xavier Howard to a 5 year $76.5 million contract making him the highest paid corner. What will this do for extending CHJ?
                        Make him jealous of Xavier?
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                          Football Immortal
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by montee2ball View Post
                          It will probably have him wearing a different uniform at some point?

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                            Captain
                            • Oct 2015

The Howard deal probably threw a wrench in the contract negotiations, if they've even started yet.
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Murph2432
                              Playmaker
                              • Sep 2008

We could just stick with the plan of making him play out this year and if he performs well we franchise tag him for another year. Then we move on. He doesn’t really have much fighting power because of his age. Not young enough to waste a year sitting.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                                team preacher
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                                We could just stick with the plan of making him play out this year and if he performs well we franchise tag him for another year. Then we move on. He doesn’t really have much fighting power because of his age. Not young enough to waste a year sitting.
                                That’s my thinking. The idea thrown around that the Broncos are mistreating Him is ridiculous. He is at the end of s contract that paid him very well, and he is still under that contract.
                                sigpic
                                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                                X