Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    You certainly don’t pay him 15mm per year, that much is a given. If it’s truly that or trade, get the best you can for him. If a 5th is really the best offer you get you play chicken with him and hope he decides to play it out 1 year.. maybe he loves the new coaching staff and is persuaded to re-sign moving forward? Bottom line if he’s playing he’s giving it his all b/c it’s a contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    No no, none of this now. He would have made 42.5 over 5 years. Averaging out to less than 9 mil per year. For a run of the mill starting corner, fine that's a fair contract. For a pro bowl/1st and 2nd team All Pro caliber corner across that same period Harris could have easily been paid 13-14 mil per year. If that's not team friendly I don't know what is.
    As johnlimburg said, CHJ received a lot of up front money in the contract and a 5 year deal. The issue is that he had the security of a long term extension and now he’s demanding a new contract. He’s making demands that exceed what’s reasonable at this point - $15 mil APY is not going to happen with the Broncos.

Well, that trade to the Steelers could mean a trade of Harris tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Well, that trade to the Steelers could mean a trade of Harris tomorrow.
    Agree. I think that’s the more likely scenario. Would not be a surprise to see CB at #20.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Eh...

I'm not going to take THIS side. I do agree that Chris' deal was fair at the time but he's more than outplayed it and deserves a pay raise. I just don't have a problem with the Broncos not giving him that raise based on their circumstances, I don't have a problem with anything Elway said about the situation, and I certainly don't think what he said contributed anything to the decision Chris was ultimately going to make except perhaps the timing of it.

Having said all of that, NFL players' contracts for the most part entirely favor management. Teams cut players all the time in the middle of contracts and it's called "business", but when a player holds out, they're loyalty is called out. I can't buy that. So while I don't have a problem with what Elway and the Broncos are doing, I also don't have a problem with what Chris is doing.
    Yup. I agree completely and I was just going to post that bolded part myself.

Now that the draft is over it is time to start resolving this issue with Harris. I hope this week Elway and Harris (more likely his agent) can sit down and have some real negotiations to get this man paid and back with the team. How this is handled will be a determining factor of how the season will likely go. Find a compromise to make a team leader and quality player satisfied helps build the chemistry for the season. Continue having a contentious "dig in your heels" negotiation and it sets a tone over the summer.

IMO the Broncos need Harris on the team to even consider a winning season.

I agree that the stated $15m a year is too steep. But I think it is a negotiation to point out what his market value is. IMO starting point has to be Jackson's contract.:

Kareem Jackson signed a 3 year, $33,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including $23,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,000,000. In 2019, Jackson will earn a base salary of $3,000,000 and a signing bonus of $9,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,000,000 and a dead cap value of $23,000,000.

A fair (IMO) compromise is in that 3 yr/ $36-39M range with $25M guaranteed

Just checking with the cap gurus. If they renegotiate a new deal or extension, can they give Harris a large bonus and minimize his salary for this year? Giving the Broncos more cap for this year? Similar to how Jackson's is set for this year.

Lets go Broncos, keep the positive vibes going forward. Time to pay the man his raise for his work in a Bronco uniform. Both past and the next couple years. This secondary has a chance to be special again...with Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Now that the draft is over it is time to start resolving this issue with Harris. I hope this week Elway and Harris (more likely his agent) can sit down and have some real negotiations to get this man paid and back with the team. How this is handled will be a determining factor of how the season will likely go. Find a compromise to make a team leader and quality player satisfied helps build the chemistry for the season. Continue having a contentious "dig in your heels" negotiation and it sets a tone over the summer.

IMO the Broncos need Harris on the team to even consider a winning season.

I agree that the stated $15m a year is too steep. But I think it is a negotiation to point out what his market value is. IMO starting point has to be Jackson's contract.:

Kareem Jackson signed a 3 year, $33,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including $23,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,000,000. In 2019, Jackson will earn a base salary of $3,000,000 and a signing bonus of $9,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,000,000 and a dead cap value of $23,000,000.

A fair (IMO) compromise is in that 3 yr/ $36-39M range with $25M guaranteed

Just checking with the cap gurus. If they renegotiate a new deal or extension, can they give Harris a large bonus and minimize his salary for this year? Giving the Broncos more cap for this year? Similar to how Jackson's is set for this year.

Lets go Broncos, keep the positive vibes going forward. Time to pay the man his raise for his work in a Bronco uniform. Both past and the next couple years. This secondary has a chance to be special again...with Harris.
    I keep seeing the 15 mil number thrown out there

Currently CHJr has 29 CBs ahead of him in total cash in 2019 (CHJr number is listed as 7.9 mil) and there are 23 CBs ahead of him in cap hits (CHJr is 8.8 mil here).

Only 3 Cbs ahead of him on either list get their number to 15 mil.

Maybe CHJr just wants a contract more in line with being a top tier CB in the NFL?

Maybe he does not want over a million of his contract in a year tied to team wins when the Front Office has been failing miserably to put leadership in place for 2 years that allow us to even get out of the top 10 in drafting?

Time will tell what CHJr wants but considering the failure of the Front Office to field a winning team two years in a row I totally understand a player wanting something different who put money in his contract on the faith that the Front Office will field a winning team.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

So two business days later and being reported no contact between Broncos and Harris.

Shouldn’t this be a priority?

So two business days later and being reported no contact between Broncos and Harris.

Shouldn’t this be a priority?
    The panic button is seductive, no?

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The panic biutton is seductive, no?
    Not sure if it is panic or not. Just thinks it time to start negotiating with a key player.

Actually I’m more annoyed that has gone this far. Should have never reached this point imo.

Not sure if it is panic or not. Just thinks it time to start negotiating with a key player.

Actually I’m more annoyed that has gone this far. Should have never reached this point imo.
    I would think the front office would need a few days off after the draft

First, therecould be communication between Elway and Harris’ agent we’re not aware of. Second, not responding to someone’s demands can be part of negotiating.

Elway said he'd take care of it after the Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    First, therecould be communication between Elway and Harris’ agent we’re not aware of. Second, not responding to someone’s demands can be part of negotiating.
    Was sarcastically commenting on a report from NFL Network ( JamesPalmer) stating “ no contact ...”

And technically it is after the draft. Hopefully there has been some kind of good faith contact instead of a cold shoulder tactic.

As I stated, annoyed this situation is still lingering. JMO but Harris is not a player they can lose if serious about winning. Both on the field and from a team chemistry perspective.

Was sarcastically commenting on a report from NFL Network ( JamesPalmer) stating “ no contact ...”

And technically it is after the draft. Hopefully there has been some kind of good faith contact instead of a cold shoulder tactic.

As I stated, annoyed this situation is still lingering. JMO but Harris is not a player they can lose if serious about winning. Both on the field and from a team chemistry perspective.
    I don’t consider responding to a report contact between Elway and Harris’ agent. If you consider that “contact” then that’s your opinion. I was thinking more of actual discussion between the two parties - that could be happening without our knowledge.

Things can linger as part of the process. Lot of time before the season starts.