Page 99 of 123 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1839
    Quote Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
    I would say that JE has done a great job with the past 2 drafts (last year and this one). Actually, he's gotten a lot of things right in most of the previous drafts. He just kept chasing a QB and that indeed led to some bad picks. But he did finally stop chasing these last 2 years and let the right scenario for getting a value QB come to him.
    Now that N=2, I feel safe saying that Elway has learned how to draft well.

Two outstanding draft classes in a row.

Great draft so far. I wouldn’t be against sending the 3rd round we got from Pittsburgh for next year to draft Wilson somewhere in the 4th. Very surprised he’s still there

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Depends on what kind of run D the front seven play. "Mountains" would be two gap and one gap would be quick penetrators. Seems like Denver will be one gap.
    Fangio said that Jones will initially play as a Tackle in our Nickle package, but that our Nickle package will be similar to our base. Looking more and more like Oliver would have been the guy at #10 and that we will one gap.

On reflection....

I think Elway has done an amazing job through day 2.
    I wanted Hock at 10, but Fant at 20 may turn out to be genius. I didn't know much about him and wondered if his success was due in part by playing alongside Hock. That may be true, but he has a sustainable burst and if used in the right way will see him rack up 1,000 yd seasons. I'm truly excited about the potential.

Great to see Risner taken next. Another top pick that may turn out to be a steal.

My main point is how JE played the board and landed Lock. I don't know if he will pan out, but what great pyschology. Don't pick him at 10(or 20). Don't pick him first in round 2. That sends the right message to Joe. Give Lock a boost by trading up to secure him, must make him feel much better about his slide and puts into context the approach to the draft. Lock.. we really like you but you will have to sit and be patient. Joe knows he's not long term, but by only taking a young QB with 3rd pick doesn't signal to him that he's not short term either

Well played Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
    On reflection....

I think Elway has done an amazing job through day 2.
    I wanted Hock at 10, but Fant at 20 may turn out to be genius. I didn't know much about him and wondered if his success was due in part by playing alongside Hock. That may be true, but he has a sustainable burst and if used in the right way will see him rack up 1,000 yd seasons. I'm truly excited about the potential.

Great to see Risner taken next. Another top pick that may turn out to be a steal.

My main point is how JE played the board and landed Lock. I don't know if he will pan out, but what great pyschology. Don't pick him at 10(or 20). Don't pick him first in round 2. That sends the right message to Joe. Give Lock a boost by trading up to secure him, must make him feel much better about his slide and puts into context the approach to the draft. Lock.. we really like you but you will have to sit and be patient. Joe knows he's not long term, but by only taking a young QB with 3rd pick doesn't signal to him that he's not short term either

Well played Elway.
    I think Fant was the starter for them in 2017 and Hockerson came on this year. Fant to me looks the better all round player while Hockerson is the better receiver

I give this draft a B+ so far, however there is potential to turn into the best draft of all 32 teams. We got good players in all 3 rounds. Fair or not, this draft will now have Lock's face plastered all over it. Plus, media types will pay themselves on the back for "connecting" the dots. That said, Fant can be big time, Dalton will be a good to very good for a decade, Lock will be put in an incubator for 12-24 months. Jones was an interesting pick, he will be more of a situational guy for us, which is a tad high for my liking, but hey we shall see. We got very good value on all our trades, and picked up a 2020 3rd.

One thing Elway has done this draft is take guys that we've had top 30 visits with.

Of the remaining visits we have:

Kris Boyd Texas CB
    Kingsley Keke Texas AM DE
    Isaiah Johnson Houston CB
    Justin Hollins Oregon OLB

I'd pencil Hollins with one of our 5ths if he's there. I don't think Johnson will make it there.

For me, I think we will see OL and DL depth as well. A WR is possible also. I would like a scenario like this:

5th: Justin Hollins OLB Oregon
    5th: Daylon Mack DT Texas A+M
    7th: Tyler Roemer OT San Diego St
    7th: Bryce Love RB Stanford

There are 2 guys, a DT and a DE. Both out of Miami who are shockingly still available. Gerald Willis is the DT. Very disruptive in the middle. Can play all 3 downs and gets after the QB. Joe Jackson off the edge has speed and can get to the QB with ease. Would have rather seen Willis taken instead of the Luckeye, but it is what it is.

As we still help at ILB, here's hoping Cashman falls all the way to the 5th round for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede View Post
    If anyone's wondering, here's our trade with the Steelers on the Jimmy Johnson draft chart:

Denver

Pick 20 - 850
    Pick 52 - 380
    2020 3rd rounder - I'll take the average of the 3rd round values - 175

Total - 1,405

Pittsburgh
    Pick 10 - 1,300

We earned 105 in draft capital in this deal. That's equivalent of a compensatory 3rd rounder. Obviously the worse the Steelers are next year, the more this deal is worth.
    Elway is killin' it. Based on the trades Denver has made this draft, it seems that at least some NFL teams still use the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart. Here's the Jimmy Johnson draft pick values for the Lock trade:

Denver
    Pick 42 - 480 points

Cincinnati
    Pick 52 - 380
    Pick 125 - 47
    Pick 182 - 18.2

Total - 445.2 points

That means we gained 34.8 points in this deal to move up for Lock. That's the equivalent of a high 5th round pick. Yes, you read that correctly, Cincinnati paid us a 5th round pick to move up and select Lock.

Elway won both his trades in the 2019 draft according to this system. As i detailed in another post in this thread, the first trade netted us 105, or the equivalent of a 3rd round compensatory pick. The 140 points Elway has gained from the two trades he made this draft are equal to a late 3rd round pick. That's a pretty nice profit.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
    Last edited by BroncoStampede; 04-27-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: edited to add reference to prior post

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    I'm legitimately surprised Mack Wilson has continued to drop, what is up with that?
    probably a speed issue.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Fangio said that Jones will initially play as a Tackle in our Nickle package, but that our Nickle package will be similar to our base. Looking more and more like Oliver would have been the guy at #10 and that we will one gap.
    Stop, you're making me cry. Stupid Buffalo. So damn close.

Honestly you could tell based on our current personnel that running a 1 gap DL attacking scheme was the way to go. Especially with mahomes and rivers in our division.

Quote Originally Posted by biggbenns View Post
    There are 2 guys, a DT and a DE. Both out of Miami who are shockingly still available. Gerald Willis is the DT. Very disruptive in the middle. Can play all 3 downs and gets after the QB. Joe Jackson off the edge has speed and can get to the QB with ease. Would have rather seen Willis taken instead of the Luckeye, but it is what it is.
    Honestly im blown away about willis. 1st round talent. At a minimum i figure late 2nd early 3rd.
    He's going to be a steal in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    probably a speed issue.
    This........

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajoe View Post
    Stop, you're making me cry. Stupid Buffalo. So damn close.

Honestly you could tell based on our current personnel that running a 1 gap DL attacking scheme was the way to go. Especially with mahomes and rivers in our division.
    I know. I was freaking out when I thought Oliver was dropping to us.